2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 03, 2013, 08:01:03 PM
A lot of weight being put by Dublin posters on the Cork win in the Quarter Final. I was wondering what was Corks last big win in the Championship since the AI in 2010?
Sure if Cork were contenders then Galway were too.

Sidney

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 03, 2013, 04:48:00 PM

I see a trend here, Galway that team for the future packed with underage promise and of course it's Mayo v Galway, this Galway will do fine - Mayo annilate them, retro view = Galway are shite.
Roscommon that decent team that on a good day can put it up ya, also local rivals, these Rossies watch out for them. Retro view = Roscommon are shite.
London are the fairytale team of 2013, aren't they great. Retro view = Londin are shite.
Donegal one of favourites to win Sam, All-Ireland Champions, the machine. Retro view = Donegal are shite.
Tyrone are the only team to put it up those Dub's this year, Mickey Harte is a legend, Tyrone won't lose by more than 1 or 2 wouldn't put it past them to win, if Tyrone get a lead they will win. Retro view = Tyrone is shite.

Based on this I feel very sorry for the Dubs, on the 23'rd of Sept. the headlines won't mention Mayo as All-Ireland Champions but how could a terrible team like Dublin got to an A.I. Final, losing to Mayo O the shame.
Ah here, get with the programme.

Dublin conceded five points in a row against Meath, so they can't do it for 70 minutes.

Cork haven't won an All-Ireland since 2010, so they're shite.

Despite seriously contending and still having some of the greatest players of all-time playing for them, Kerry are not a serious contender.

Mayo on the other hand are ruthless, a remorseless killing machine, and they well deserve their favourites tag for the final, and don't forget they made fools of a Dublin team at the peak of their powers last year, a Dublin team which has since gone into decline. And Mayo are the team of destiny, so there can only only be one result, right?

Rossfan

Looks like we're going to get 2 new GAABoard records here
1- the most pages ever on 1 game
2- the most sh1te ever spouted on GAAboard.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: muppet on September 03, 2013, 04:04:16 PM
Listen lads, Dublin are the greatest team ever to hit the old sod, which they rarely do as they are absolutely flying all the time. There are no flaws in the team, no one has ever got a card and they never hit any wides. No one makes any mistakes and every single pass sticks. There is hardly any point in putting out an opposition at all, as it won't interfere with them in the slightest.

Mayo could sit in the corner and have a smoke for all of the damage they will do to Dublin.

If it is too sunny or too wet or something spoils the perfect team's day, I will jump on the bandwagon and blame Tyrone.

Not only that, but they're also known as 'Destiny's Children'... Mayo could sit huddled in the dressingroom for all the damage they will do to Dublin.  :(
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Sidney on September 03, 2013, 08:46:49 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 03, 2013, 04:48:00 PM

I see a trend here, Galway that team for the future packed with underage promise and of course it's Mayo v Galway, this Galway will do fine - Mayo annilate them, retro view = Galway are shite.
Roscommon that decent team that on a good day can put it up ya, also local rivals, these Rossies watch out for them. Retro view = Roscommon are shite.
London are the fairytale team of 2013, aren't they great. Retro view = Londin are shite.
Donegal one of favourites to win Sam, All-Ireland Champions, the machine. Retro view = Donegal are shite.
Tyrone are the only team to put it up those Dub's this year, Mickey Harte is a legend, Tyrone won't lose by more than 1 or 2 wouldn't put it past them to win, if Tyrone get a lead they will win. Retro view = Tyrone is shite.

Based on this I feel very sorry for the Dubs, on the 23'rd of Sept. the headlines won't mention Mayo as All-Ireland Champions but how could a terrible team like Dublin got to an A.I. Final, losing to Mayo O the shame.
Ah here, get with the programme.

Dublin conceded five points in a row against Meath, so they can't do it for 70 minutes.

Cork haven't won an All-Ireland since 2010, so they're shite.

Despite seriously contending and still having some of the greatest players of all-time playing for them, Kerry are not a serious contender.

Mayo on the other hand are ruthless, a remorseless killing machine, and they well deserve their favourites tag for the final, and don't forget they made fools of a Dublin team at the peak of their powers last year, a Dublin team which has since gone into decline. And Mayo are the team of destiny, so there can only only be one result, right?
Re Kerry-  all teams fail eventually. Who expected Barca to flop last season?
I still haven't heard a convincing argument about why the Dubs' path to the final is superior to Mayo's.

Wildweasel74

and beat the 156pgs of the semi final between Mayo and Tyrone, i hopefully doubt it, wont see 100!

Farrandeelin

I can't see Mayo beating Dublin unfortunately.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rrhf

My thoughts have changed from last Sundays game. The dubs let a done Kerry team tear them a new one in the first half and needed a late salvo to put them away. They don't know how to defend and have yet to play a team with a superb defensive set up like mayo. Mayo are more advanced than Dublin on the line. We know that they will take off brogan after 40. We know that mcmenamen will try an run at them. For Dublin to win they must run at mayo in the first 15 mins but will Gavin start mc men amen - apparently not. To try to run at mayo when they get into their groove will hand the westerners Sam.

moysider

Quote from: Rossfan on September 03, 2013, 08:49:35 PM
Looks like we're going to get 2 new GAABoard records here
1- the most pages ever on 1 game
2- the most sh1te ever spouted on GAAboard.

Did you ever see so much shadowboxing or shite as you put it?

I think Mayo have a decent chance in this one. Mind you I was hopeful last year as well.

A steady start is essential to our well-being. If both teams fly into each other early it could be like Hagler v Hearns circa 1985. The greatest 5 round fight of all time. At the same time both teams would feel confident of stretching away and taking it later on.

There is an aspect of our game that we can get right and if we do it could be decisive. I agree with McStay when he says that we don t have enough respect for possession. We still give away too much lazy ball. Remember the stat about all the Donegal scores that came from Mayo being in possesssion. The sloppiness was there again for all to see v Tyrone. If we get it sorted it could be a 5 point swing or more.

As regards selection, I m expecting the same again and I d agree with Sam s match-up s earlier. If it were Kerry the match-ups might have been more challenging. For example I would have been in favour of Cunniffe coming out to mark Gooch, such is the recent form of Tom. I would also have played O Sé at 11 where I thought Kerry would be vulnerable to a powerful runner. Maybe Dublin are too but not expecting change.

If Andy/Cillian can t start I hope Dillon is moved inside with either Carolan starting ( Mayo had a better shape v tyrone after Carolan was introduced) or Barry coming into midfield and Aiden pushing on a bit. Using Varley as an early sub would be a mistake imo. I would also hold Conroy in reserve til down the stretch if Andy and O Connor Can start.

You never know what will happen on the day with injuries and cards but even the Mayo subs are nailed on at this stage. It s unlikely anybody besides Barry Mór, Keane, Varley, Conoy, Feeney and  Carolan will be called upon.

I know he s a big lad but I hope Aiden O Sé can cut out these yellow cards. It must be like groundhog day. The same challenge over and over again.

As regards routes to the final it could be argued that neither Cork, Kerry or the Dubs had to play the 2 ultra conservative big guns in the competition. Mayo had to play and beat both. Mayo have struggled to come to terms with these 2 last couple of years but we managed. Now they may not have been in their pomp but they still were not going out to lose and with respect to both Donegal and Tyrone they are bastards to play against.

Aaron Boone

If Dubs win, then another league-championship double for a team in the last decade.

From the Bunker

From the Bunker

Quote from: rrhf on September 03, 2013, 09:50:48 PM
My thoughts have changed from last Sundays game. The dubs let a done Kerry team tear them a new one in the first half and needed a late salvo to put them away. They don't know how to defend and have yet to play a team with a superb defensive set up like mayo. Mayo are more advanced than Dublin on the line. We know that they will take off brogan after 40. We know that mcmenamen will try an run at them. For Dublin to win they must run at mayo in the first 15 mins but will Gavin start mc men amen - apparently not. To try to run at mayo when they get into their groove will hand the westerners Sam.

I said this earlier, the most disciplined team in the championship this year were Tyrone. Conceded feck all scores especially goals. Mayo will have learned a alot about themselves in that game. Dublin will have learned less against Kerry who played very loose.

Galway went gung-ho into their game v Mayo this year. They expected the usual shoot out. The old Mayo, the same as the old days. What they got was a lot different. If Dublin do the same they will suffer a similar fate. Mayo will squeeze the shite out of you. Don't under estimate our middle eight, they may not be glamerous, but they are ruthless.

rrhf

I like everyone love cute football. It's gorgeous but I also know that Kerry would not have beat Tyrone this year and I think Tyrone would have beat the pick of them, as unpalatable as that may sound to some.  what mayo bring to the party is a superb evolution of real quality football with real defenders of which there was very limited examples on show last week. Proper football wins a final not the dream. If I was backing Dublin it would be the basis that they used to defend at the levels an all Ireland winning team needs to defend at, their defenders are forwards more than defenders. Lovely to watch but when was the last time a team with no defense won sam

IolarCoisCuain

The route to the final stuff is bogus. It's only obvious once it's been played and by then the only thing that matters is who won. There are no asterisks in the Roll of Honour to give details on routes to finals. Dublin and Mayo are the top two teams in the country.

With due respect rrhf, it's hard to make a case that Tyrone could beat the pick of Dublin and Mayo when Tyrone couldn't beat one of them. Or do you mean the pick of Kerry and Dublin?

rrhf

Yes sorry for that. Tyrone would have defended. I'm using the point not to big up Tyrone but in our wish to exalt the challenge match that was the semi final we tend to ignore the obvious. Look at the score line that Dublin let in, how did they win the game?
Mayo have a class defence a decent enough midfield  and enough great forwards to win the final.