2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on September 02, 2013, 09:35:29 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 02, 2013, 09:24:05 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 02, 2013, 09:18:51 PM
INDIANA you seem way overconfident in this game, cant see how you are so sure you are going to beat Mayo, if i was a Dublin supporter i be confident but would worry about Dublin hype getting to the team (and that comes from supporters and the papers)and becoming overconfident against a Mayo team thats has a very good chance to turn you over and it wouldn't be seen as a suprise

Can't blame him, Dublin have beaten two All Ireland contenders by five,seven points in their last two games. The Dublin supporters will see the hard work done and now face a side that have habit of losing All Ireland finals and side they seek revenge against for last years defeat.
Kerry were not contenders. Cork are a good bit off the pace as well.
I suppose if Kerry hung on to their 67 minute lead they wouldn't be contenders in the final either? Kerry,Cork were both beaten by the All Ireland champions last year and the same could happen this year.

INDIANA

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 02, 2013, 09:18:51 PM
INDIANA you seem way overconfident in this game, cant see how you are so sure you are going to beat Mayo, if i was a Dublin supporter i be confident but would worry about Dublin hype getting to the team (and that comes from supporters and the papers)and becoming overconfident against a Mayo team thats has a very good chance to turn you over and it wouldn't be seen as a suprise

Give it a fecking rest will you I was only jesting.

I said earlier in the year Mayo would win the All-Ireland and I haven't seen anything yet to change my mind.

We're in bonus territory with such a young outfit.

thewobbler

Here's my take on the final.

Dublin will be too arrogant to do what Tyrone did, which was put a plan in place to stop Mayo's counter attacking style.

So Mayo will start strong. And will take everyone, especially RTE's fuckwit commentators, by surprise in how clinical they are. It won't dawn on them that forwards who are used to having no room in training behave likes dogs with two dicks in open play. 8 points up at the half.

Dublin will have 3 subs in by halftime, Brogan will be gone by the 50th minute, having touched the ball twice in open play. The third quarter revival will take it back to 5, before Mayo simply pick holes at will on the break, and end up 13 point winners, while the Dubs do why city folks do best and blame each other.

Man of the match will go to O'Shea or Moran, when it should have went to Dillon or McLaughlin. Pat Spillane will be horrified but he won't know why.

macdanger2

Quote from: thewobbler on September 02, 2013, 10:04:43 PM
Here's my take on the final.

Dublin will be too arrogant to do what Tyrone did, which was put a plan in place to stop Mayo's counter attacking style.

So Mayo will start strong. And will take everyone, especially RTE's fuckwit commentators, by surprise in how clinical they are. It won't dawn on them that forwards who are used to having no room in training behave likes dogs with two dicks in open play. 8 points up at the half.

Dublin will have 3 subs in by halftime, Brogan will be gone by the 50th minute, having touched the ball twice in open play. The third quarter revival will take it back to 5, before Mayo simply pick holes at will on the break, and end up 13 point winners, while the Dubs do why city folks do best and blame each other.

Man of the match will go to O'Shea or Moran, when it should have went to Dillon or McLaughlin. Pat Spillane will be horrified but he won't know why.

If there was a "like" button, I'd be liking this  ;D

whitey

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 02, 2013, 09:57:17 PM
Will Mayo annihilate the Dublin buckos early doors and then commence operation pull your man off...........................or down ????

Squire, the team that wins will be the one with the most points on the scoreboard.  How you get there, well thats what happens on match day.

Unfortunately, protecting your lead has become a facet of the modern game, and its something I would expect both teams to do.

Previous Mayo teams wouldnt have engaged in that type of carry on....thats why we havent won anything in 62 years.

Don Corleone

Quote from: Syferus

b]It was a bit of a last sting of a dying wasp sort of thing, he has been pretty poor all year and looked gassed by half-time at times this year.[/b]Incredible performance all the same, one that'll warm many's a winter's night alongside all the legends of other Kerry greats.

You weren't in the Lr.Hogan then yesterday. Tomás trudged ashore in advance of all others, beaten but un-bowed.
He took a long, lingering look at the entire Hogan, wiped his face with the geansái, hugged it briefly and then jogged 10 yds. to pick up what I took to be his own young lad, had a brief 1to1, hugged him, threw him on his shoulder and trotted off down the tunnel. There's more to life than fooking football, even in West Kerry. I nearly cried myself, such was the moment.

Tomás O'Sé owes nobody.
Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

Don Corleone

Quote from: Syferus on September 02, 2013, 02:06:01 PM

I think Andy's the man for 11 if his leg improves slightly. Somewhere where he can pick up ball where burst speed isn't a major impediment and it's more about positioning and delivery rather than finishing. He may not be Gooch but there's few players in the game with better vision for a pass.

Ye're a gas man. Fuxake Syf, he's a gone goose as you know.

Syferus

Quote from: Don Corleone on September 02, 2013, 10:45:31 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 02, 2013, 02:06:01 PM

I think Andy's the man for 11 if his leg improves slightly. Somewhere where he can pick up ball where burst speed isn't a major impediment and it's more about positioning and delivery rather than finishing. He may not be Gooch but there's few players in the game with better vision for a pass.

Ye're a gas man. Fuxake Syf, he's a gone goose as you know.

Hiya Don.

As you know from running your large and thriving crime empire, sometimes unexpected things happen.

COC being injured is just such one of those things. Whatever about dropping Andy for Conroy were COC there now  there is an open space for Andy, Varley and Doherty to fight over. I'd expect even an 80% fit Andy would be the best option of the three for an AI final. On top of his vision he remains the leader of the Mayo team and that will play in his favour too.

Yours in spirit,
Syf

Don Corleone

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 02, 2013, 06:15:22 PM

The Dublin bench is impressive, but no more so than Mayo's. I fancy Mayo to edge thus by 2-3.

Consider the fact that Dublin's bench would start in any other county and have contributed massively to the Sam in 2011.
Their bench pulled them through yasterday against formidable foes. Mayo's bench are even weaker than Kerry's.

Goosed IMO.

larryin89

Quote from: Don Corleone on September 02, 2013, 11:01:49 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 02, 2013, 06:15:22 PM

The Dublin bench is impressive, but no more so than Mayo's. I fancy Mayo to edge thus by 2-3.

Consider the fact that Dublin's bench would start in any other county and have contributed massively to the Sam in 2011.
Their bench pulled them through yasterday against formidable foes. Mayo's bench are even weaker than Kerry's.

Goosed IMO.

Who will be on Mayo bench and are they really weaker than Kerry , I think Barry Moran would actually start for Kerry never mind the bench for a start.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Don Corleone

Quote from: Syferus on September 02, 2013, 10:55:09 PM
COC being injured is just such one of those things. Whatever about dropping Andy for Conroy were COC there now  there is an open space for Andy, Varley and Doherty to fight over. I'd expect even an 80% fit Andy would be the best option of the three for an AI final. On top of his vision he remains the leader of the Mayo team and that will play in his favour too.

Yours in spirit,
Syf

I've had my people run some analysis Syf. The portents for the Rhubarbs aren't good to be fair. Them Kerry hoors came with what I'd call 3 marquee forwards, the 2 Sullivans and the Gooch. Cooper destroyed Dublin for 35 minutes in a manner that Mayo cannot. Kerry's midfield, while workmanlike for 25/30 mins faded. Bastick supplied power and McAuley rampaged forward. Will the O'Shea's provide the running power..Doubtful. The Dublin half-back line were destroyed early doors by crafty Kerry foot-passing, the guile of Cooper and flitting cameos of Galvin. Mayo don't possess a Cooper. Worse again: Should Moran start as captain @ 13....No man has captained a winning team from 13 in football....There's always a 1st. of course.

Yours in useless trivia,

Don Corleone.

From the Bunker

A lot will be learned from the two semi finals. But i think Mayo will have learned a lot more from their game against Tyrone. When you have to grind out a result against a team like Tyrone where space is at a premium, You learn a lot about yourself. The discipline on both sides was more apparent than yesterdays free flowing football. There was no way 6 goals were going to be scored in that semi (Mayo/Tyrone) and even the one that was scored was from the dead ball.

The Dublin ethos this year is free flowing football. Where it is a shootout every time. Kerry obliged them yesterday and it worked out. But this Mayo team don't do free flowing, when it comes to the opposition. They just don't. They are a better unit to last year. Conditioning has kicked in and all are up to speed. Our Half back Line, Midfield and half forward line are scary and we have the bench to back it up in this sector. Dublin have been talking about their forwards but it is in these Eight we will control the game. And control is the name of the game.

Quote from: Don Corleone on September 02, 2013, 11:29:57 PM
Should Moran start as captain @ 13....No man has captained a winning team from 13 in football....There's always a 1st. of course.

Yours in useless trivia,

Don Corleone.

That's already been sorted he has wore 15 the last couple of matches

Don Corleone

Quote from: larryin89 on September 02, 2013, 11:05:22 PM
Who will be on Mayo bench and are they really weaker than Kerry , I think Barry Moran would actually start for Kerry never mind the bench for a start.

He can't get a start for Mayo, ne're mind Dublin. The Mayo bench will likely consist of the usual "nearly men"...Doherty, Varley Moran and Conroy, although were I a Mayo follower I'd start Conroy before Andy Moran.
Kerry had Sheehan, David Moran, Donaghy, O'Mahoney and Brosnan on the bench yesterday. 4 of them saw game time and were useless, Donaghy in particular. Benches are great when you have competition for places, otherwise there places for subs to sit on their arses. The Dublin subs defined the difference between a panel and arse-warmers. Mayo in trouble there....

larryin89

Quote from: Don Corleone on September 02, 2013, 11:29:57 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 02, 2013, 10:55:09 PM

Yours in spirit,
Syf

I've had my people run some analysis Syf. The portents for the Rhubarbs aren't good to be fair. Them Kerry hoors came with what I'd call 3 marquee forwards, the 2 Sullivans and the Gooch. Cooper destroyed Dublin for 35 minutes in a manner that Mayo cannot. Kerry's midfield, while workmanlike for 25/30 mins faded. Bastick supplied power and McAuley rampaged forward. Will the O'Shea's provide the running power..Doubtful. The Dublin half-back line were destroyed early doors by crafty Kerry foot-passing, the guile of Cooper and flitting cameos of Galvin. Mayo don't possess a Cooper. Worse again: Should Moran start as captain @ 13....No man has captained a winning team from 13 in football....There's always a 1st. of course.

Yours in useless trivia,

Don Corleone.

What type of forward would you call James o Donoghue?

Tbh I thought Declan was fairly average yesterday and arguably lost the game for them again v the Dubs.

People that keep mentioning this marquee forwards and that Mayo don't have any, have ye bothered to even watch Mayo and realise how the whole idea of Horans gameplan compensates for this.

Anyone that thinks Mayo are simply going to roll over 04/06 style are in for a right shock.

Just seen your comment re Barry Moran, what are you on about ? He s on the bench for Mayo, you made the point of the Kerry bench being stronger and I disagree starting with my opinion he would be good enough to start for Kerry.

Donaghy, wouldn't start for Mayo minors never mind seniors a total failure yesterday when coming on .

Sheehan has no fitness this year, another hasbeen.

I totally disagree with you about Kerry bench been better than Mayo.

Doc,Varley and Barry Moran all started last years final.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Mayo s bench best about but maybe not getting the best out of them. FFS, we re on our third keeper because of injury and he s probably shortlisted for an All-Star at this stage :)  Gibbons, Barry Moran and Geraghty can play midfield. Both Dublin and Mayo have 1 quality impact forward each - Conroy and McMenaman. One is a bit of a classic, the other is direct, powerful and scares the shit out of ye.

Not getting an excuse in in advance but it is possibly a year too early (again!) for us. Has n t worked out for us with Andy and Cillian s injuries. I still think we have a chance of winning this gig if we set it up right on the day.