Aidan O'Shea

Started by Hardy, August 05, 2013, 01:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: redhandluke on August 07, 2013, 12:40:48 AM
What do O'Shea score on Sunday??? 0-0  :o
Yes he had a good game, but to say it was "Possibly the best individual performance I've ever seen in Croke Park" - I suggest Hardy you should get out a bit more.

I can suggest two better performances of the top of my head, Cavanagh against Meath and Cavanagh  against Monaghan in the past two weeks alone.  Or Canavan scoring 0-11 against Dublin in 95 AIF.

Right. Enough said.

theticklemister

Quote from: Hardy on August 07, 2013, 09:42:14 AM
Quote from: redhandluke on August 07, 2013, 12:40:48 AM
What do O'Shea score on Sunday??? 0-0  :o
Yes he had a good game, but to say it was "Possibly the best individual performance I've ever seen in Croke Park" - I suggest Hardy you should get out a bit more.

I can suggest two better performances of the top of my head, Cavanagh against Meath and Cavanagh  against Monaghan in the past two weeks alone.  Or Canavan scoring 0-11 against Dublin in 95 AIF.

Right. Enough said.

And ye wonder why there is a lot of anti- Tyrone wans out there??

ross4life

Aidan O'Shea was superb on Sunday but in the other three games i thought his brother Seamus played better, why doesn't he get the same hype? if remember correctly he also played a huge part in Mayos U-21 All Ireland win in 2006.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on August 07, 2013, 05:00:01 PM
Aidan O'Shea was superb on Sunday but in the other three games i thought his brother Seamus played better, why doesn't he get the same hype? if remember correctly he also played a huge part in Mayos U-21 All Ireland win in 2006.

He is a good player and a great foil for Aiden. But he isn't quite at Aiden's level and remember Aiden is still only 23. There is hopefully more to come.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on August 07, 2013, 05:21:32 PM

He is a good player and a great foil for Aiden. But he isn't quite at Aiden's level and remember Aiden is still only 23. There is hopefully more to come.

We thought the same about Seamie, who knows what's ahead. He's already the best midfielder in the country and physically one of the most imposing of all-time. It's about staying focused and not listening to the hype about yourself now. I think AO'S has shown the right attitude in that regard the past two years.

ross4life

We were well beaten in the match but we still fared fairly well against the O'Sheas

In 2011 Connacht final we won midfield against the two O'Sheas but still lost  :-\
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on August 07, 2013, 06:25:48 PM
We were well beaten in the match but we still fared fairly well against the O'Sheas

In 2011 Connacht final we won midfield against the two O'Sheas but still lost  :-\

We were excellent at winning breaks against Mayo, at least in the first 25 minutes or so when it was a contest. Keenan was like a human vacuum cleaner. The way to beat AOS is breaking it away from him or, where possible, just avoiding him. For all his good work going back into defence you'd love to have your forwards in space with AOS on them because like any man his size he's not going to be able to react as fast or match the smaller man's acceleration.

INDIANA

Donegal fired every kickout at AOS. He had a fantastic game. Best individual display ever by a midfielder is stretching it in my view.

Tyrone wont hit one kick-out in his direction. Then will be the acid test of how effective he is at midfield. Can he do all the other spade-work required around there.

I still have my reservations he'd be able to keep up with a Michael Mc Auley for example who torched him for 25 mins in the second half of the semi last year.

Whishtup

Holy jeasis, a couple of high catches and a couple of bulllock runs and you're a superstar..

Fear ón Srath Bán

Hardy's racked with guilt at the thought of what the Meath team of '96 might have done to him had he been playing for Mayo then... nightmares, cold sweats, the works! Has to try to exorcise the demons somehow! :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2013, 09:08:49 PM

Donegal fired every kickout at AOS. He had a fantastic game. Best individual display ever by a midfielder is stretching it in my view.

Tyrone wont hit one kick-out in his direction. Then will be the acid test of how effective he is at midfield. Can he do all the other spade-work required around there.

I still have my reservations he'd be able to keep up with a Michael Mc Auley for example who torched him for 25 mins in the second half of the semi last year.

O'Shea was flying in the League last year, including against McAuley in Castlebar. Then he got injured. He never really got back to that level of match fitness in last year's Championship. He was only a sub against Sligo but a game changing one when he came on. He played well against Donegal last year but ran out of steam in the last 20 minutes.

He was flying for the entire game against Donegal this year. As long as he stays fully fit he will be hard to touch.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2013, 09:08:49 PM

For the last few years Mickey Harte used the wings & a short kick out routine against us will be interesting if they try that same tactic in this game.

Hardy

It's like trying to teach trigonometry to calves. They see but they don't understand. Some don't even see. A performance that included serial possession winning, vision, right place, right time, anticipation, 32 possessions (THIRTY TWO!) inspired defending, finding the right pass 98% of the time and just one (ONE!) error is dismissed as "a couple of bullock runs". All he didn't do was score a goal and save a penalty. But that's not good enough for those who think his brother was better. Even if that was in some other match. Sometimes I wonder. More times I don't bother.

(FOSB - don't you think the 1996 theme is a bit played out? We still enjoy the memories but it would be healthier for you lads to forget the trauma.)

Syferus

He'd fetch a fair price at the mart, though. They're well used to stopping bullock runs there too.

ross matt

Quote from: Hardy on August 07, 2013, 11:03:04 PM
It's like trying to teach trigonometry to calves. They see but they don't understand. Some don't even see. A performance that included serial possession winning, vision, right place, right time, anticipation, 32 possessions (THIRTY TWO!) inspired defending, finding the right pass 98% of the time and just one (ONE!) error is dismissed as "a couple of bullock runs". All he didn't do was score a goal and save a penalty. But that's not good enough for those who think his brother was better. Even if that was in some other match. Sometimes I wonder. More times I don't bother.

(FOSB - don't you think the 1996 theme is a bit played out? We still enjoy the memories but it would be healthier for you lads to forget the trauma.)

+1000

Best midfield performance since Jacko 1984/85 (and even then the Kerry man had few rivals that could realistically rival him so it was easier to excel. )