Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

http://balls.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/cunniffehit.gif

look at Cunniffes outstretched hands. Both players arrive at the same time. Brutally tough challenge but entirely fair.

iorras

Quote from: rrhf on August 26, 2013, 02:07:24 PM
I disagree. 
Had Deegan refereed the game correctly Mayo would still be putting her wide from the 21.   
The momentum was returned to Mayo not by themselves but by the referee.
I hate talking about referees after games. 
Mayo have a problem starting big games, Donegal exposed it last year,  Tyrone were not allowed to do so yesterday.  I like Deegan - I just think he is a terrible referee after yesterday.  What MAyo did have was some wonderful play when their confidence returned and they finished the job professionally and comfortably.  They had more ways of winning that game than Tyrone and more resources to add.  Tyrone could have won the game but had probably only one shot at it and that was to build an early lead Bear in mind ye were 7/2 favourites.... Ref negated that.  Good luck to Mayo in the final.   
Did Deegan give the ball to Chris Barret and tell him to solo 20 yards beat 2 men and put the ball over the bar from 30 yards out?
Did Deegan set up a 4 player passing move ending with Lee Keegan bursting through the middle to put another point over the bar?
Did Deegan kick another point from out on the right from a difficult angle? No he had nothing to do with any of that.
That changed the game from a 4 point lead, to a 1 point lead and changed the momentum, so stop talking shite about referees and take your beating.

imtommygunn

Rrhf that's a blinkered view and not overly gracious in defeat.

Best team won. The ref maybe made the inevitable happen a bit quicker with the penalty and a few softt ones but that was it.

A couple of soft frees would not have had the game won or out of sight.

One factor in the game i thought was mark donnelly. He was having a big impact early on and completely ran out of steam. I think tyrone were dead on their feet after about 40 minutes to be honest.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: rrhf on August 26, 2013, 02:19:56 PM
The irony is in the way Mayo were playing there was next to no chance they would have scored that goal in the refs eyes at the time he blew the whistle.  They were ridiculously lacking in composure and couldn't have hit an auld barn door with a new potato.  I think their defenders starting scoring for them from play after 32 mins.
Tyrone should have had them dead and buried at that point.  That was their chance.  They missed that chance.  Tyrones  fault they weren't further head.
However theres feck all we can do about non frees. double bounces and dodgy penaltys. Thats not our job really...

Ye are beginning to sound like Mayo of old, could'a, should'a, would'a.....................

rrhf

Should have been 6 points instead of 4 at that point.  Would it have made any difference?  Well historically yes - that should have been enough to calve Mayo 11 months ago, and many times before that.  But I agree  this year it even feels different. 
Good luck in the final.   

rrhf

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 26, 2013, 02:32:11 PM

Best team won. The ref maybe made the inevitable happen a bit quicker with the penalty and a few soft ones but that was it.

One factor in the game i thought was mark donnelly. He was having a big impact early on and completely ran out of steam. I think tyrone were dead on their feet after about 40 minutes to be honest.
Agreed on the latter, my information is 11 months out of date on the former.  Yes The best team won yesterday and could have won by more as their momentum was then fully returned with a donated 1 - 1 after the break.  Give me one example of a team who can win an aisf where 1 - 3 or 1 -4 is wrongly given.   
Ill follow this all up by wishing Mayo the best in the final, they deserve it from their last 20 minutes football alone. 

rrhf

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on August 26, 2013, 02:34:06 PM
The irony is in the way Mayo were playing there was next to no chance they would have scored that goal in the refs eyes at the time he blew the whistle.  They were ridiculously lacking in composure and couldn't have hit an auld barn door with a new potato.  I think their defenders starting scoring for them from play after 32 mins.
Tyrone should have had them dead and buried at that point.  That was their chance.  They missed that chance.  Tyrones  fault they weren't further head.
However theres feck all we can do about non frees. double bounces and dodgy penaltys. Thats not our job really...

Ye are beginning to sound like Mayo of old, could'a, should'a, would'a.....................
Have been to more Mayo matches where they couldnt a.. to be fair

imtommygunn

Quote from: rrhf on August 26, 2013, 02:40:52 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 26, 2013, 02:32:11 PM

Best team won. The ref maybe made the inevitable happen a bit quicker with the penalty and a few soft ones but that was it.

Agreed on the latter, my information is 11 months out of date on the former.  Yes The best team won yesterday and could have won by more as their momentum was then fully returned with a donated 1 - 1 after the break.  Give me one example of a team who can win an aisf where 1 - 3 or 1 -4 is wrongly given.   
Ill follow this all up by wishing Mayo the best in the final, they deserve it from their last 20 minutes football alone.

Give me someone who keeps such statistics and i'm sure i could find you an example somewhere...

I think it's as has been stated mickey harte tactically had it spot on. At this minute in time tyrone just don't have the quality to execute a game plan like this for 70 minutes against a top team. I actually think conditioning a massive factor.

You argue the 1-3 or 1-4. I think you exaggerate. 1-2 debatable by my reckoning.

Most refs wouldn't have called the freeman goal a foul and mayo missed the free so sure that's 1-0 the other way and you have a couple of points in it which i'm sure many all ireland semis have been won against??

Jinxy

Conroy should start the final.
Mayo need a ball-winner in the FF line and a half-fit Andy Moran won't cut the mustard.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: rrhf on August 26, 2013, 02:42:04 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on August 26, 2013, 02:34:06 PM

Have been to more Mayo matches where they couldnt a.. to be fair

;D

Couldnt a score
Shouldnt a gone to the game
Wouldnt a ever again...............

The Mayo Monday Morning Mantra................

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on August 26, 2013, 02:53:21 PM
Conroy should start the final.
Mayo need a ball-winner in the FF line and a half-fit Andy Moran won't cut the mustard.

Towney Conroy (don't ask) will start, as will Freeman. The match-up is Andy/Varley/maybe Doherty for the third slot, not Conroy/Andy.

Andy's knee has been bothering (the rumour was doing the rounds last week) and they had it checked after the warm-up. Clearly taped up under his sock too. For Andy's and for Mayo's sake I hope it improves enough to mean he can battle his way to a start in the final. If he's fit enough to do that it means good things for Mayo.

It would be an idea to play Andy more centrally where he can pick up cheap ball and distribute it, what's killing him is being up deep and getting one-on-one ball and the back beating him to the ball.

rrhf

Yes sadly you can see he's struggling.  It will be the toughest call of Horans career, but he showed no nostagia when rooting out Mortimer.  The best 15 need started for the final. 

Jinxy

Moran would be more effectively used as a sub for when the game opens up in the last 15 minutes.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lawnseed on August 26, 2013, 07:20:13 AM
don't understand why sean Cavanagh didn't try going in at full forward in the second half for ten minutes. just to what happened.

I found myself cheering tyrone yesterday :o

cant stand mayo I just know Dublin or Kerry will tear a new hole in their arses

Awe poor lawnseed, as you would say, suck it up we lad  ;)

Stop chewing those lemons.

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 26, 2013, 09:28:34 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 25, 2013, 04:02:30 PM
Mayo shit the nest again, when it really matters. Like Kildare, they just don't have the natural footballers required to win an AI.

HAH

+1
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: screenexile on August 26, 2013, 11:07:02 AM
Mickey Harte wasn't happy about the tackle on Peter Harte... it looks perfect to me!

Rather than blame the ref or the Mayo man I'd be screaming at the man who played such a hospital pass!!

Seems Mickey Harte does not understand how you tackle in Gaelic Football. It's what we would call a shoulder.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.