Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

For years, he have listened to "Ah, Mayo, nice little footballers, but no edge, no steel and big day bottlers", after yesterday and reading some of the contributions in here, it is good to see a lot of these tags are now with O'Leary in the grave. We were tough, gave as good as we got, didn't panic, sussed things out at half time and pushed on to win.

We were damned if we won by 20 (still not tested), or we are fur coats and no knickers (winning by 6)........

It was great to see some of the newer lads on the scene, stick their chests out and take on the leadership when we were floundering. These lads took the mantle of leaders from likes of Dillon and Moran who have had better days and will have better days again.

To listen to O'Shea talking after the match, that the game was still young at half time, there was still 35 minutes left, is refreshing and shows the belief that this team have in their own ability and the ability of the lads around them, a couple of times during the match, Hennelly was out talking to his backs and reorganising things, one would think that he playing there all year, it was great to see.

The subs Mayo have are the real asset of this team, Feeney, Moran, Carolan and Conroy all did their bit.

As for frees given, not given, bloody hell, some on here must have expected Mayo to refuse some of these frees because our expert referees sitting at home, don't agree with the decisions given. We have plenty of decisions go against us in the past on big days, so if they go for us great.

Make no mistake, yesterday was a big game for us, lose and all the previous years good work was gone, win and we are in back to back finals, an achievement in its self. Of course there was nerves, these players are amateur after all, to lose at a semi-final is a tough thing.

Fair play to Tyrone, they pushed hard, but Mayo are further down the road and it stood to them.

Regardless of our opponents in the final, it will be a different type of game and that will suit Mayo better.

Minor and Senior teams through to their finals, plenty for them to work on while still winning.............we wouldn't have it any other way.

Perfect!.

ballinaman

Just watched the game back. Most has been covered in prior posts. Few things, thought Tyrone's game plan in the first 20mins was excellent, Vaughan was pulled out of position.
We seemed to be snatching at shots, Varley and Andy Moran for two in particular over by the cusack stand side, been much better with shot selections in previous games.
Certainly got a few breaks. Being 1 point down at half time playing so poorly was a real bonus.
If somebody had said to me that we'd win by 6 points and play as badly as we have all year before yesterday, would have taken it all day long.

HokeyPokey

I think we are a year or two away yet. I think we need to get speed up our delivery into the inside line as we had the beating of Mayo there.

I think Dublin will win out in the end as they have more cutting edge in the final third. Or maybe Kerry because they are Kerry. If Mayo don't win it this year I think it would be hard for them to get themselves back up again...

rrhf

As I feared Tyrone lost the PR war which this year really did became a war.  Joe Brolly is a smart man and he seized on Tyrone s lack of speak and representation on RTE, knowing there would be next to no comeback within his own channel where they are quite prepared to trash the games they are meant to be featuring.  We have men from the GAA heirarchy talking about the product and its popularity but without the conviction to watch the so called product being trashed by the same guys who they sign off renewal deals with.  Its a crazy contrast.  Its is time RTE were denied the "product."   

It was refreshing to see Philip Jordan on last night at least balancing the thing but that goose had flown.
Ironically the net result of RTEs coverage this year was that the referee was so obsessed and whistle happy in the first half he only calmed down when he actually blew up a goal chance too quick.  Deegan gave probably the worst refereeing performance in Croke Park  for years.

AMayoFan

That was a roller coaster of a match.  Feel really sorry for COC. Such a talent it's a crying shame he is has this injury.  I wish him the very best and hopefully he will get his shoulder sorted for once and for all.  I have to echo the comments about the Ref.  He was dreadful, but dreadful to both teams! Silly yellow cards, so many wrong decisions.  I really hope that is the last I see of him this year!!!

Mayo looked beatable, for the first time this year.  Tyrone manage to pull key players out of position.  There can be no question that Mickey Harte is the best tactician out there.  Other thoughts I had on the match, was I expected Mayo to do a hell allot better with Tyrone kickouts.  This was a little bit disappointing, and I'm surprised Horan hadn't a better plan in place.  However, we won in the end and showed our battling qualities. Unlike last year semi-final, we finished as clearly the better team, and a team that will take serious beating in the final. I couldn't say that last year.

ONeill

Did ye see the replay of the penalty decision?

Deegan arrived on the scene, arms outstretched roaring "INSIDE". Carlin tells him to look at the screen and Deegan looks up briefly. He then says "I'm not looking at it" and laughs.

No point to that story at all.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Farrandeelin

First I'd like to say hard luck to Tyrone. They were very good for the first twenty minutes or so. If they got another point at that stage, it could be curtains for us. They didn't, and Barrett made a great run and got the comeback underway. Not that we knew that it was a comeback or anything at all at that stage, but the Mayo backs were beginning to get on top of their men towards the end of the first half. But by God, our forwards were poor throughout the first half.

The second half was much like as ross matt pointed out, Mayo 2013, they were able to win the breaking ball around midfield. Something they lacked the cutting edge to do in the first half for long stages. I don't think it was a penalty either, but you take the rough with the smooth I suppose. Hats off to Freeman for scoring the penalty due to the time involved of the 3/4 Tyrone players surrounding the referee pleading to change his mind. Working with minors myself, we know refs don't change their minds, so the Tyrone players were kind of silly in thinking that Deegan himself would change his.

The ref was terrible. He gave Mayo soft frees (and disallowed the goal) and he also gave very soft yellow cards to Mayo players too. Tyrone fans here have stated their frustration with him so it's fair to say everyone was pissed off with him at some point.

Well done to Freeman on taking up responsibility once O'Connor went off. He got the man of the match officially. I personally had picked out Barrett and Seamus O'Shea as leading contenders for the prize. We're in a final again. We may not win it, but at least the team should know what their weaknesses are anyway in the four weeks leading up to it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

thewobbler

Quote from: rrhf on August 26, 2013, 01:31:18 PM
As I feared Tyrone lost the PR war which this year really did became a war.  Joe Brolly is a smart man and he seized on Tyrone s lack of speak and representation on RTE, knowing there would be next to no comeback within his own channel where they are quite prepared to trash the games they are meant to be featuring.  We have men from the GAA heirarchy talking about the product and its popularity but without the conviction to watch the so called product being trashed by the same guys who they sign off renewal deals with.  Its a crazy contrast.  Its is time RTE were denied the "product."   

It was refreshing to see Philip Jordan on last night at least balancing the thing but that goose had flown.
Ironically the net result of RTEs coverage this year was that the referee was so obsessed and whistle happy in the first half he only calmed down when he actually blew up a goal chance too quick.  Deegan gave probably the worst refereeing performance in Croke Park  for years.

Deegan was completely rubbish. Brolly was indeed over the top.

But you know what, Tyrone got played off the park for 50 minutes by a team which, if truth be told, never even had to look for top gear. You can get obsessed with anything and everything you like surrounding the game, but the bottom line is that the better team, both individually and collectively, won comfortably - and didn't need a helping hand to achieve that goal.

screenexile

Quote from: rrhf on August 26, 2013, 01:31:18 PM

What? I don't know what the 'PR War' has anything to do with but bottom line is you lost the most important war as in the one on the pitch. PR really hasn't got much to do with that!

In terms of the PR situation the last few weeks most people including Joe himself know he shouldn't have singled out Cavanagh and were in Tyrone's corner on that score. The Rafa style 'factsheet' did not help matters either as Tyrone should have taken the moral high ground and not indulged in the debate at all but the siege mentality the County has meant they felt the need to come out and defend themselves when it really wasn't needed!

When all's said and done Tyrone have a bit coming through and will be a top 10 team for the next 5-10 years but I think those special players they had are just not there and young teams like Dublin/Mayo/Cork will be the teams to beat over the next while!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ONeill on August 26, 2013, 01:36:32 PM
Did ye see the replay of the penalty decision?

Deegan arrived on the scene, arms outstretched roaring "INSIDE". Carlin tells him to look at the screen and Deegan looks up briefly. He then says "I'm not looking at it" and laughs.

No point to that story at all.

He was some distance behind the play. Must have been at least 25 to 30 yards. No idea how he could have been so confident in his decision when ultimately he had to have been guessing.

rrhf

I disagree. 
Had Deegan refereed the game correctly Mayo would still be putting her wide from the 21.   
The momentum was returned to Mayo not by themselves but by the referee.
I hate talking about referees after games. 
Mayo have a problem starting big games, Donegal exposed it last year,  Tyrone were not allowed to do so yesterday.  I like Deegan - I just think he is a terrible referee after yesterday.  What MAyo did have was some wonderful play when their confidence returned and they finished the job professionally and comfortably.  They had more ways of winning that game than Tyrone and more resources to add.  Tyrone could have won the game but had probably only one shot at it and that was to build an early lead Bear in mind ye were 7/2 favourites.... Ref negated that.  Good luck to Mayo in the final.   

Syferus

Jesus, you swear you were whiter than white. You can't call it a witch hunt if you are doing what they're saying you're doing. You got three seniors and countless underage titles playing a certain way, please spare us the tears. Most counties would love to be in Tyrone's position.

rrhf

The irony is in the way Mayo were playing there was next to no chance they would have scored that goal in the refs eyes at the time he blew the whistle.  They were ridiculously lacking in composure and couldn't have hit an auld barn door with a new potato.  I think their defenders starting scoring for them from play after 32 mins.
Tyrone should have had them dead and buried at that point.  That was their chance.  They missed that chance.  Tyrones  fault they weren't further head.
However theres feck all we can do about non frees. double bounces and dodgy penaltys. Thats not our job really... 

maigheo

Do not see  why anybody is saying that Tyrone should have left Mayo dead and buried after 25 min.Tyrone did not miss any easy goal opportunities  or kick alot of bad wides and even if Mayo were down by 4 or 5 points at h.t they were always going to come on strong in the 2ind half.

Mrs mills

I'm amazed that rte pundits, commentators and analysts did not see the mayo man recoil after the Tyrone player made contact with his neck. That's why the whistle went. It was a foul. Furthermore, there is no advantage rule yet. Anyway, two Tyrone men stopped after the whistle went. End of story.