Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ballinaman on August 26, 2013, 12:31:44 AM
Unsung heroes of the day BTW...
1. Cunniffe
2.Barrett
3.Carolan

Barrett and Carolan were brilliant. Cunniffe shoulder on Harte was immense, unfortunately Harte picked up an injury from his fall.

To think Barrett's point in the first half coming up from deep in the Mayo defense to score the point that started the Mayo comeback.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Bensars

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 26, 2013, 12:36:28 AM
Quote from: Bensars on August 26, 2013, 12:29:37 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 26, 2013, 12:24:41 AM
Quote from: Bensars on August 26, 2013, 12:21:47 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 26, 2013, 12:16:35 AM
Quote from: Bensars on August 26, 2013, 12:10:11 AM
So what's your verdict on his double hand face holding exercise?

Missile from the crowd?

You can butter it whatever way you like, but O'Shea is a cheat ! And the 3 monkeys in the studio were afraid to go near it following Brolly's  tirade on cavanagh previously!

Hypocrisy !

You cannot point out O'Shea actions and ignore Mc'Connell's actions. Pascal could have walked the line never mind not even getting a yellow card.

Yet again you fail to comment on the cowardly act from O'Shea, holding his face with both hands when in fact no contact was made near that region!

You can butter it whatever you want but O'Shea is a cheat !

You fail to comment on the cowardly act of McConnell.

No problem commenting at all. Silly and could have been booked.

However what I find incredulous is this total ignorance to O Sheas antics that 2 weeks ago were a blight on the game. Cavanagh was crucified for fouling a player to stop a goal.

While o Shea goes down feigning an injury to face and no comment whatsoever?

Lets call a spade a spade, O Shea cheated big style and the camera caught him at it!

O'Shea got booked and therefore received his punishment, Mc'Connell should receive a punishment from the CCC, but as with teams who lose he will probably get away with it.

Did o Shea cheat when both hands went to face despite no contact to that region ?

Syferus

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 26, 2013, 12:39:43 AM
1. Cunniffe
2.Barrett
3.Carolan

Barrett and Carolan were brilliant. Cunniffe shoulder on Harte was immense, unfortunately Harte picked up an injury from his fall.

To think Barrett's point in the first half coming up from deep in the Mayo defense to score the point that started the Mayo comeback.

Cunniffe's hamstring is still bothering him too. Carolan came on when the gloss was being applied so I would be too effusive in my praise but I agree with the rest.

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on August 26, 2013, 12:37:39 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 26, 2013, 12:35:06 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 26, 2013, 12:32:45 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 26, 2013, 12:30:31 AM
Deegan had a bad, bad game. He reffed arrogantly.

The 2 bounces for Mayo's first point of the second half stank of ineptitude. The penalty was incorrect. But he was equally harsh on Mayo. Their goal should have stood.
To be fair, he blew the whistle long before it was a goal scoring opportunity. He couldn't just say "I didn't blow there lads".

He was wrong to blow it. That was my point. What did he blow for?
He reckoned Gormley fouled. He didn't but that's really neither here nor there. He had blown.

What? It's not here nor there if he was wrong?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross matt

1. Cunniffe
2.Barrett
3.Carolan

And surely Seamie O'Se Ballinaman?

Syferus

Quote from: ross matt on August 26, 2013, 12:44:34 AM
1. Cunniffe
2.Barrett
3.Carolan

I don't think there was much unsung about his performance today.

ballinaman

Also, spare a thought for Cillian O'Connor.

Currently in the Mater Hospital. Poor lad, will have the shoulder stabilisation surgery in the next few days. Happened right infront of me, he did  approx 4 hours of shockingly monotonous rehab to get himself back on the pitch for the rest of the summer.

ballinaman

1. Cunniffe
2.Barrett
3.Carolan

Yep, he be more of the sung heroes today though!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

1. Cunniffe
2.Barrett
3.Carolan

He was better than Aidan today.

What I'm loving about this Mayo team over the last two seasons, esp. this year as players get injured or not perform at their upper potential a new set of players or subs take up the mantle. Bomber Liston and others argue we need marque players but surely it is better to have 20+ lads you can rely on rather than falling apart if the 2-3 stars fail to perform. The Mayo bench keeps giving and lads are able to multitask across positions.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Zulu on August 26, 2013, 12:39:18 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 26, 2013, 12:20:55 AM
Quote from: Zulu on August 26, 2013, 12:06:52 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 25, 2013, 11:55:39 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 25, 2013, 11:50:44 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 25, 2013, 11:31:36 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 25, 2013, 11:29:50 PM
Not even related to a penalty. You don't know what a foot block is if you think it was a free.
You don't know what a free is if you think that was a legitimate block.

I clearly do but you don't. It isn't even a debate though you've yourself convinced something happened which didn't.

5.22 To block or attempt to block with the boot when an opponent is kicking the ball from the hand(s).

That's the actual rule - did the player block or attempt to block with his foot? How on earth can you say he didn't?

There's no mention of endangering the kicker or any distances or no mention of Zulu's honest opinion in the rule book either as far as I can see.

So if you kick the ball and I block  it with my foot 20 yards away, you get a free?

Well the rule is there and it's pretty clear. You implied that you knew the rule and you clearly don't, bringing your own interpretation of endangering the player and safe distances. The Mayo defender (cant remember who it was now) would never have been able to block the ball with his hands so he attempted to block it with his foot - that's not allowed so it was definitely a free kick (penalty). This prevented a clear goalscoring opportunity. In fact, according to the rule book the player should have been cautioned too.

So you can't answer the question? I'm afraid you don't understand the rule even partially. Grasping at straws trying to claim that was a penalty and a booking are you having a laugh??

Was it 20 yards away? Read the rule again and explain the bit I'm missing, im not trying to be argumentative here, i just genuinely can't see how you think the player didn't attempt to block the ball with is foot so there's no real point in me arguing the point any further. Anyway, its neither here nor there now and a penalty probably would only have prolonged the pain as Mayo were very much on top and clearly the better team.

Just for your info though (yes I am sad enough to have the GAA rule book saved as a favourite)

5.22 To block or attempt to block with the boot when an opponent is kicking the ball from the hand(s).
5.23 To prevent or attempt to prevent an opponent from lifting or kicking the ball off the ground by striking an opponent's hand, arm, foot or leg with the boot.
5.24 To engage in any other form of rough play.
PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS -
(i) Caution the offender; order off for second cautionable foul.

That was never a square ball!!

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on August 26, 2013, 12:52:47 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 26, 2013, 12:42:15 AM

The 2 bounces for Mayo's first point of the second half stank of ineptitude. The penalty was incorrect. But he was equally harsh on Mayo. Their goal should have stood.
To be fair, he blew the whistle long before it was a goal scoring opportunity. He couldn't just say "I didn't blow there lads".

He reckoned Gormley fouled. He didn't but that's really neither here nor there. He had blown.

It is in terms of the goal standing. If anything he gave a free in which was never a free in. Tyrone should be pissed off.

It was a goal scoring opportunity as soon as Gormley was gone.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: hardstation on August 26, 2013, 12:52:47 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 26, 2013, 12:42:15 AM

It is in terms of the goal standing. If anything he gave a free in which was never a free in. Tyrone should be pissed off.

It is a unique decision as in both Mayo and Tyrone both should feel aggrieved.

Zulu

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 26, 2013, 12:52:13 AM
Quote from: Zulu on August 26, 2013, 12:39:18 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 26, 2013, 12:20:55 AM
Quote from: Zulu on August 26, 2013, 12:06:52 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 25, 2013, 11:55:39 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 25, 2013, 11:50:44 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 25, 2013, 11:31:36 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 25, 2013, 11:29:50 PM
Not even related to a penalty. You don't know what a foot block is if you think it was a free.
You don't know what a free is if you think that was a legitimate block.

I clearly do but you don't. It isn't even a debate though you've yourself convinced something happened which didn't.

That's the actual rule - did the player block or attempt to block with his foot? How on earth can you say he didn't?

There's no mention of endangering the kicker or any distances or no mention of Zulu's honest opinion in the rule book either as far as I can see.

So if you kick the ball and I block  it with my foot 20 yards away, you get a free?

Well the rule is there and it's pretty clear. You implied that you knew the rule and you clearly don't, bringing your own interpretation of endangering the player and safe distances. The Mayo defender (cant remember who it was now) would never have been able to block the ball with his hands so he attempted to block it with his foot - that's not allowed so it was definitely a free kick (penalty). This prevented a clear goalscoring opportunity. In fact, according to the rule book the player should have been cautioned too.

So you can't answer the question? I'm afraid you don't understand the rule even partially. Grasping at straws trying to claim that was a penalty and a booking are you having a laugh??

Was it 20 yards away? Read the rule again, I'm sorry, im not trying to be argumentative here, i just genuinely can't see how you think the player didn't attempt to block the ball with is foot so there's no real point in me arguing the point any further. Anyway, its neither here nor there now and a penalty probably would only have prolonged the pain as Mayo were very much on top and clearly the better team.

Just for your info though (yes I am sad enough to have the GAA rule book saved as a favourite)

5.23 To prevent or attempt to prevent an opponent from lifting or kicking the ball off the ground by striking an opponent's hand, arm, foot or leg with the boot.

If you take rule 5.22 at face value then blocking a kick ball with your foot is foul even if you are 20 yards away, that's clearly nonsense. Your right, it didn't change anything but the ref was correct not to give a free for it as it wasn't a foot block. I'll leave it at that as II'm not going to convince you otherwise .

ross matt

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 26, 2013, 12:48:18 AM
1. Cunniffe
2.Barrett
3.Carolan

He was better than Aidan today.

What I'm loving about this Mayo team over the last two seasons, esp. this year as players get injured or not perform at their upper potential a new set of players or subs take up the mantle. Bomber Liston and others argue we need marque players but surely it is better to have 20+ lads you can rely on rather than falling apart if the 2-3 stars fail to perform. The Mayo bench keeps giving and lads are able to multitask across positions.

Completely agree. I think that particular trait define's this Mayo panel and Horan's management team. Probably why (apart from provincial allegiances or sentimental reasons) most neutrals want ye to to win Sam this season.

Sidney

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 26, 2013, 12:52:13 AM

It's only a foot block if you block the the foot or the natural arc of where the foot is going. The foot wasn't blocked or the natural arc where the foot was going wasn't blocked, the ball which was by then at least a yard away from the natural arc of the foot was what was blocked.

So, not a foot block, not a foul.