Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ONeill on August 22, 2013, 05:44:30 PM
Apparently Emmet Ryan's face is pinned to a wall in Garvaghey for tonight.

No use to them tonight , Thursday night is Rugby tackling practice you should know that by now O' Neill .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

emmetryan

That would be flattering although I imagine most of them would go "Who?"
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Rois

Quote from: ONeill on August 22, 2013, 05:44:30 PM
Apparently Emmet Ryan's face is pinned to a wall in Garvaghey for tonight.

I'm heading to Garvaghey in about 45 mins - i'll bring one with me if you like Emmet, plus explain who you are?

emmetryan

"So there's this guy on the internet right..."

Rois

bluenosebandit

Having read all the posts in this thread over the last couple of weeks im looking forward to this game more and more.

Im a tyrone supporter, however im worried about the lack of firepower we have up font. I cant see darren mccurry scoring much (if at all) from play, stephen o'neill is far too isolated up front and has therefore been easily marked by a number of defenders at once, im personally glad penrose is suspended and our half forward line, outside matty donnelly for the odd score are basically defending, trying to win break ball, and play on the counter.

To all mayo supporters, Aidan O'Shea has been awesome this year in the championship, no doubt about that, but if he marks sean cavanagh on sunday, guaranteed he is taken off him after 15 minutes, he doesnt have his engine or athleticism, and sean will run him riot.

Personally however i dont see this battle as being the winning of the game. I think it will be won by who has the greater influence, Alan Dillon or Conor Gormley. If Gomley gets to grips with him and stops him putting ball into their full forward line then we are in business, if not............then we're scooped.

Prediction: If Tyrone dont concede any goals, tyrone win.

emmetryan

Ah now use a smart phone, no need to kill a tree

joemamas

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 22, 2013, 04:58:10 PM
Quote from: emmetryan on August 22, 2013, 04:47:05 PM
Benny, I'm arguing that much of the response is with how people dislike my honest assesment because I think this is going to be one sided. Had I only said Tyrone would be out of their depth without spending the preceding bulk of the column saying why it'd be a different story.

You made no attempt to suggest how Tyrone may set up to deal with this Mayo onslaught. Are you suggesting we will go in with no tactics to deal with them and our only attacking approach will be to kick it into O'Neill so he can win frees and even that is not going to work as Morgan is now injured. Do you understand the role the Donnellys may have in this game? How are Mayo going to set up to stop Cavanagh? Do you think he can be man marked when breaking from midfield or will they flood they space in front of him? Or are they going to be so dominant that they dont have to even worry about setting up to stop him? What exactly is Joes role? Just my opinion Emmet but if you think a game is going to one sided, it doesn't mean your analysis has to be too.

Was at Q/finals and it is difficult to see how Joe Mcmahon will last the full game. He did not want to come off V monaghan in a very tight game, he had to because he was injured. He was one of Tyrones most effective players while he was on the field. Hard to see him being fully fit three weeks later.
I expect like most realistic Mayo fans that this will be a battle, Tyrone have won three ALL-Irelands in 10 years, however this Tyrone team does not resemble that one. How different are Tyrone (team listed below) from last years hiding V Kerry, Exclude Sean Cavanagh who I think is a fantastic footballer and not a lot of other positive changes.

TYRONE SF v Kerry June 2012 : Pascal McConnell (Newtownstewart); Aidan McCrory (Errigal Ciaran), Conor Clarke (Omagh), Dermot Carlin (Killyclogher); Cathal McCarron (Dromore), Conor Gormley (Carrickmore), Sean O'Neill (Dromore); Joe McMahon (Omagh), Colm Cavanagh (Moy); Mattie Donnelly (Trillick), Mark Donnelly (Carrickmore), Peter Harte (Errigal Ciaran); Martin Penrose (Carrickmore), Stephen O'Neill (Clann na Gael), Owen Mulligan (Cookstown).

I believe that Mayo man for man are a better team, I am worried about Stephen O Neill and Sean Cavanagh especially if Donal Vaughan leaves the middle of the backline open with his excuriosions forward. I think that Conor Gorlmey(who was a great footballer) is waiting to be cleaned out, no way is he lasting an uptempo game for 70 mins. Colm Cavanagh is at best average. Tyrone do not have same depth as Mayo due to injuries and suspensions, Penrose while not a big scorer was a very important link man and worked his arse off for them. When you look at games they played this year, Tyrone could have been beaten by Kildare, Roscommon or Monaghan.

For Mayo to lose this one, Tyrone will need to score three goals,Tyrone will defend with 10,11 or 12 and hope to have Stephen o Neill one on one with somebody, unlikely to happen. Mayo would need to have some serious underperformances, have a significant player sent off/injured. I dont see all of the aforementioned happening. Mayo are also a highly motivated team, who firmly believe they left an All Ireland behind last year.  They will win by at least 4pts maybe more.

BennyHarp

Quote from: joemamas on August 22, 2013, 06:04:05 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 22, 2013, 04:58:10 PM
Quote from: emmetryan on August 22, 2013, 04:47:05 PM
Benny, I'm arguing that much of the response is with how people dislike my honest assesment because I think this is going to be one sided. Had I only said Tyrone would be out of their depth without spending the preceding bulk of the column saying why it'd be a different story.

You made no attempt to suggest how Tyrone may set up to deal with this Mayo onslaught. Are you suggesting we will go in with no tactics to deal with them and our only attacking approach will be to kick it into O'Neill so he can win frees and even that is not going to work as Morgan is now injured. Do you understand the role the Donnellys may have in this game? How are Mayo going to set up to stop Cavanagh? Do you think he can be man marked when breaking from midfield or will they flood they space in front of him? Or are they going to be so dominant that they dont have to even worry about setting up to stop him? What exactly is Joes role? Just my opinion Emmet but if you think a game is going to one sided, it doesn't mean your analysis has to be too.

Was at Q/finals and it is difficult to see how Joe Mcmahon will last the full game. He did not want to come off V monaghan in a very tight game, he had to because he was injured. He was one of Tyrones most effective players while he was on the field. Hard to see him being fully fit three weeks later.
I expect like most realistic Mayo fans that this will be a battle, Tyrone have won three ALL-Irelands in 10 years, however this Tyrone team does not resemble that one. How different are Tyrone (team listed below) from last years hiding V Kerry, Exclude Sean Cavanagh who I think is a fantastic footballer and not a lot of other positive changes.

TYRONE SF v Kerry June 2012 : Pascal McConnell (Newtownstewart); Aidan McCrory (Errigal Ciaran), Conor Clarke (Omagh), Dermot Carlin (Killyclogher); Cathal McCarron (Dromore), Conor Gormley (Carrickmore), Sean O'Neill (Dromore); Joe McMahon (Omagh), Colm Cavanagh (Moy); Mattie Donnelly (Trillick), Mark Donnelly (Carrickmore), Peter Harte (Errigal Ciaran); Martin Penrose (Carrickmore), Stephen O'Neill (Clann na Gael), Owen Mulligan (Cookstown).

I believe that Mayo man for man are a better team, I am worried about Stephen O Neill and Sean Cavanagh especially if Donal Vaughan leaves the middle of the backline open with his excuriosions forward. I think that Conor Gorlmey(who was a great footballer) is waiting to be cleaned out, no way is he lasting an uptempo game for 70 mins. Colm Cavanagh is at best average. Tyrone do not have same depth as Mayo due to injuries and suspensions, Penrose while not a big scorer was a very important link man and worked his arse off for them. When you look at games they played this year, Tyrone could have been beaten by Kildare, Roscommon or Monaghan.

For Mayo to lose this one, Tyrone will need to score three goals,Tyrone will defend with 10,11 or 12 and hope to have Stephen o Neill one on one with somebody, unlikely to happen. Mayo would need to have some serious underperformances, have a significant player sent off/injured. I dont see all of the aforementioned happening. Mayo are also a highly motivated team, who firmly believe they left an All Ireland behind last year.  They will win by at least 4pts maybe more.

No McRory, Sean o'Neill (though Ronan McNamee actually started that day), Penrose (for Sunday), and Mulligan. Darren McCurry actually started for Stevie O'Neill that day. I'd argue that Matty Donnelly is a much more effective player now and Mark Donnelly has improved too. Colm works better with Sean and Peter Harte is finally starting to play himself into a bit of form.

I agree about Joe perhaps going to struggle and that is a major concern as he offers a lot, not only defensively but also driving forward from deep and with long range point kicking. Conor Gormleys days of chasing after the oppositions best player are gone but his role in the defence is priceless and is used more as the covering defender these days (even being pushed into the forward line by the ref pre throw in v Meath).
That was never a square ball!!

SkillfulBill

Here's the rub on this one. With Mayo this year we all have a fair idea where they are at and from a Mayo supporters point of view it indicates that Mayo could possibly on the cusp of delivering a long awaited All Ireland title.  I can certainly understand where many of the posters on here get their confidence from and are very dismissive of Tyrones chances of upsetting the odds. But here is the thing.  We in Tyrone can be certain that by 5 o'clock on Sunday Cavanagh Gormely and Joe mcmahon will all turn in the performances the question is will the other 12 light up croke park. We know the quality is there as they have the all ireland medals at various grades. I think people underestimate the potential in this team and the landscape may look a little different at 5.00 on sunday a lot of humble pie could be for serving.

muppet

Quote from: rrhf on August 22, 2013, 03:58:45 PM
        Hennelly, (has to be a Hurler.  Is he the dodgy keeper?)

Cunniffe,(ladies man) Cafferkey, (unpronounceable name - say it over and over!)  Barrett, (boxer)
Keegan, (Beach Soccor) Vaughan,(actor) Boyle, (Royal Donegal blood/ Donegal Catch)

A.OShea, S.OShea, (Kerry wannabees)

McLoughlin, (Northern politician) Higgins, (snooker) Dillon, (singer songwriter)
OConnor, (Mrs Brown) Freeman,(at last!) Moran (wont get past the red cow)

This is the best post on the thread and wipes the floor with the analysis of Breheny and co.

But you left and the subs and of course Horan!
MWWSI 2017

Rodman

Quote from: Mayo Mick on August 22, 2013, 05:40:21 PM
Quote from: maigheo on August 22, 2013, 05:23:42 PM
Heard James Horan interviewed during the week and he was saying that alot of what happens in a game is passed off as tactics  when in reality it is just chance the way the game is going.He was saying that Mayo start with getting the basics right like foot passing ,hand passing and tackling and if your team does these well a good performance should follow.I think each game nowadays is completely over analysed and alot of pundits like talking about tactics so to give the impression that they know what they are talking about.Last Sundays hurling game is a prime example of over analysis on tactics. One of the main reasons why Limerick lost the game was there free taker had a nightmare and missed about 4 or 5 scoreable frees and the Clare free taker  did not miss anything.I would nearly guarantee you that had Limerick hit there first few frees over it would have been a complete different game and all the talk of Davys superior tactics would have been made redundant.Clare won because there score taking ,tackling and passing was much better than limericks and there confidence grew through out the game as every thing they hit went over ,while it was the opposite for Limerick

Well said Maigheo. We will win this comfortably because we have the better footballers who can play at a higher tempo than Tyrone. When we win the analysts will show how our tactics were superior ignoring that at the moment we have 20+ players who are better than Tyrone.

Must say enjoyed Bennys robust demolishing of Emmett's analysis - think Emmett you took a few shortcuts as you knew the answer.

Well I'd argue we have the best goalkeeper, defender (Gormley), midfielder (Sean Cav) and forward (SoN) on show plus the best manager. May not be enough to win the game but it will not be another demolition job like Donegal.

rosnarun

QuoteWell I'd argue we have the best goalkeeper, defender (Gormley), midfielder (Sean Cav) and forward (SoN) on show plus the best manager. May not be enough to win the game but it will not be another demolition job like Donegal.

sounds like famous last words to me

Gormley would not be much rate by anyone outside tyrone or MSG SON has been off for and neither team goalie would even be 1st choice intheir own teams
I give Cavanagh sr is playing out of his skin but so are both O sheas could the same be said for Colm don't really think so
It not a bad complaint wheen your biggest problem is no team has been able to get near you in the year .
my other fear is after how BIG the donegal game was this may be an anticlimax 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ONeill

I think we're hoping for a 2008 Dublin performance  - a bolt from the blue when a previously-stuttering side magically moulds into a serious outfit over 70 mins.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: bluenosebandit on August 22, 2013, 06:01:05 PM
Having read all the posts in this thread over the last couple of weeks im looking forward to this game more and more.

Im a tyrone supporter, however im worried about the lack of firepower we have up font. I cant see darren mccurry scoring much (if at all) from play, stephen o'neill is far too isolated up front and has therefore been easily marked by a number of defenders at once, im personally glad penrose is suspended and our half forward line, outside matty donnelly for the odd score are basically defending, trying to win break ball, and play on the counter.

To all mayo supporters, Aidan O'Shea has been awesome this year in the championship, no doubt about that, but if he marks sean cavanagh on sunday, guaranteed he is taken off him after 15 minutes, he doesnt have his engine or athleticism, and sean will run him riot.

Personally however i dont see this battle as being the winning of the game. I think it will be won by who has the greater influence, Alan Dillon or Conor Gormley. If Gomley gets to grips with him and stops him putting ball into their full forward line then we are in business, if not............then we're scooped.

Prediction: If Tyrone dont concede any goals, tyrone win.

Here's another Tyrone man thinking AOS will 'mark' Cavanagh. I can't see AOS picking up Cavanagh.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.