Quote from: emmetryan on August 22, 2013, 12:07:06 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 22, 2013, 11:58:25 AM
Quote from: emmetryan on August 22, 2013, 07:27:22 AM
Hi guys

Tactical preview of Mayo vs Tyrone now up
http://action81.com/blog/?p=7566

Emmet

Hi Emmet,
I have been reading your previews since you first started posting them because I realised from the off that you have an amazing success rate-at 100% almost; it just has to be amazing.
I'm not saying this just* to annoy the Tyrone lads here as I've said so a number of previous times on this board.
I also passed a number of comments to this effect on your preview pages and I bought your book last Christmas to study previous reviews.
(You may recall this as I'm the real mayogodhelpus – not that sham who keeps annoying poor Nally Stand.) ;D
Therefore, I see no reason whatever to question your judgement when I read your latest work.
Keep the faith!
Yours etc.
Lar

* But I couldn't help sticking it in. ;D

Not been 100% this year, messed up two provincial finals. Also where was all the haterade from Tyrone when I said they'd beat Monaghan? :)

I couldn't give a monkeys who you predicted to win Emmet and generally it wouldn't take a tactical genius to work out who will win the majority of games in the championship. It was more the pathetic attempt to pass off that nonsense as "tactical analysis" of how Tyrone will approach the game that surprised me. There's no hatred from Tyrone here, just surprise at how a man who spends so much time "analysing" games and has tried to flog books on the subject, can come up with such a weak understanding of the Tyrone game, so late in the season and dismiss them as "out of their depth". Im sure as a man who is carving a career in football analysis, you will be happy to take critical analysis of your work and understand that it's not "haterade".

Stop being a complete Tyroniac for a second, Benny. It's one thing having the banter with opposition supporters and others here but it's something entirely different to attack the character of someone because they typed something you disagreed with. I'd hope your over-the-top reaction doesn't stop others from having the balls to post as themselves and indeed their work here.

Oh, and Tyrone will be out of their depth on Sunday. Sorry.

That's fair enough! Though I don't think I've attacked his character, but if he feels i have I'll apologise for that. I've questioned his analysis. Plenty of posters question the analysis of journalists on here, I see Emmet as such and therefore when promoting his website and books on here he is as open to criticism as everyone else.
That was never a square ball!!

deiseach

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 22, 2013, 05:09:12 PM
That's fair enough! Though I don't think I've attacked his character, and if I did I'll apologise for that. I've questioned his analysis, plenty question the analysis of journalists on here, I see Emmet as such and therefore when promoting his website and books on here he is as open to criticism as everyone else.

Your use of quotation marks is ("tactical analysis" and "analysing") was laden with sneer.

Hereiam

I see this being a tight affair with Tyrone edging it by a couple of points. I do believe Stephen O'Neill has a great match left in him and I hope he lights up Croke Park on Sunday

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: deiseach on August 22, 2013, 05:11:47 PM
That's fair enough! Though I don't think I've attacked his character, and if I did I'll apologise for that. I've questioned his analysis, plenty question the analysis of journalists on here, I see Emmet as such and therefore when promoting his website and books on here he is as open to criticism as everyone else.

Your use of quotation marks is ("tactical analysis" and "analysing") was laden with sneer.

Ya, ur a bollix Benny, the man said Mayo would win, cant you accept it and move on, hope for a good draw in Ulster next year

Edit: My spelling is absolutely atrocious
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Syferus

Yeah, that was it for me. Emmet or anyone else that posts should be fully open for being tore apart on what they say but when it comes to generalities like that (especially since you're talking directly to someone about their professional work) we should be a little more careful.

emmetryan

Umm I never thought Benny was attacking my character.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

emmetryan

As for what Tyrone will do to counter, I felt I'd covered their defensive situation in the first section. They'll go sweeper but Joe has issues as a low sweeper and is more comfortable in the high role.

maigheo

Heard James Horan interviewed during the week and he was saying that alot of what happens in a game is passed off as tactics  when in reality it is just chance the way the game is going.He was saying that Mayo start with getting the basics right like foot passing ,hand passing and tackling and if your team does these well a good performance should follow.I think each game nowadays is completely over analysed and alot of pundits like talking about tactics so to give the impression that they know what they are talking about.Last Sundays hurling game is a prime example of over analysis on tactics. One of the main reasons why Limerick lost the game was there free taker had a nightmare and missed about 4 or 5 scoreable frees and the Clare free taker  did not miss anything.I would nearly guarantee you that had Limerick hit there first few frees over it would have been a complete different game and all the talk of Davys superior tactics would have been made redundant.Clare won because there score taking ,tackling and passing was much better than limericks and there confidence grew through out the game as every thing they hit went over ,while it was the opposite for Limerick

BennyHarp

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 22, 2013, 05:14:12 PM

Ya, ur a bollixs Benny, the man said Mayo would win, cant you except it and move on, hope for a good draw in Ulster next year

Ha ha, the strange thing is that I actually don't think Tyrone will win the game, I was just surprised that Tyrone's gameplan wasn't analysed in a way I thought justified them being written off so completely. If people are offended by my opinion on the piece then full apologises all round. I've no doubt Emmet is good at what he does and actually a mate of mine recommended his book to me earlier in the year, which is probably why I was expecting a more rounded analysis of the game, not a further development of the Mayo hype with no real analysis of how Tyrone could possibly deal with them.
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Its been exciting this week.  There has been some crap talked and some wise words.  Problem is - Nobody knows yet who is talking the crap and who is talking the wise words.  Sunday might answer all, but don't rule out a dodgy draw, and then I would actually fancy Mayo in the replay.  Id weigh it up by saying Mayo have it all to lose on Sunday, Tyrone have lost all their big championship games for 4 years and have a bit to go yet.  Its a good chance to see where a young Tyrone team might pitch in against the all Ireland favourites.
One last laden comment might be that what an encouragement it would be for London to know they created goal chances in the first 20 minutes against the future ai champions.   
Enjoy the game lads. 

emmetryan

And that rrhf is why I prefer doing reviews to previews

rrhf

Rossfan

Someone has to say it -- looking good for 100 pages BEFORE the game  :P
Tymoan and Mayowr should just bottle all that hot air and the energy requirements of both Counties would be sorted for 20 years. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mayo Mick

Quote from: maigheo on August 22, 2013, 05:23:42 PM
Heard James Horan interviewed during the week and he was saying that alot of what happens in a game is passed off as tactics  when in reality it is just chance the way the game is going.He was saying that Mayo start with getting the basics right like foot passing ,hand passing and tackling and if your team does these well a good performance should follow.I think each game nowadays is completely over analysed and alot of pundits like talking about tactics so to give the impression that they know what they are talking about.Last Sundays hurling game is a prime example of over analysis on tactics. One of the main reasons why Limerick lost the game was there free taker had a nightmare and missed about 4 or 5 scoreable frees and the Clare free taker  did not miss anything.I would nearly guarantee you that had Limerick hit there first few frees over it would have been a complete different game and all the talk of Davys superior tactics would have been made redundant.Clare won because there score taking ,tackling and passing was much better than limericks and there confidence grew through out the game as every thing they hit went over ,while it was the opposite for Limerick

Well said Maigheo. We will win this comfortably because we have the better footballers who can play at a higher tempo than Tyrone. When we win the analysts will show how our tactics were superior ignoring that at the moment we have 20+ players who are better than Tyrone.

Must say enjoyed Bennys robust demolishing of Emmett's analysis - think Emmett you took a few shortcuts as you knew the answer. 

If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

ONeill

Apparently Emmet Ryan's face is pinned to a wall in Garvaghey for tonight.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.