Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 21, 2013, 04:48:36 PM
Would most of ye want to be beating Tyrone by 10+ points going into the final or would you be happier to win a much tougher closer contest?

I really hope Mickey does have something new up his sleeve and doesn't just play the same way we have been all year. I was delighted that we got to the semis and feel with the team we have we've already over achieved.

Any word on injuries?

Conor Gormley has a bruised fist and Sean Cavanagh has grazed knees - other than that we are good to go!!  ;)
That was never a square ball!!

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 21, 2013, 03:49:03 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 21, 2013, 03:30:19 PM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 21, 2013, 03:23:25 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2013, 01:29:22 PM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 21, 2013, 01:25:29 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2013, 11:16:36 AM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 21, 2013, 11:07:19 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 21, 2013, 11:01:21 AM
Mayo are one of the most consistent teams of the last 20 years.

For real? What have they won in those 20 years?

No one said they won anything.

Are you arguing that Mayo were NOT one of the most consistent teams of the last 20 years?

They consistently failed to win anything.

You contradict yourself completely and still can't answer a straight question.

OK then, what have Mayo won over the past 20 years? Barring Connaught titles, which they usually get a free run at. It's not hard to be consistent when you are playing the likes of London, Sligo and Roscommon.
The one area where Mayo have been consistent, is losing big games, especially when they have been favourites. I hope this is one area where they aren't as consistent this year.

A league title and an U-21 All-Ireland so

Glad to see you've back tracked completely

Oh so we are also including underage football as well? Even so, two titles in 20 years is hardly going to cause much sleep loss in Kerry.

We'll agree to disagree on the level of consistency. Good luck on Sunday.

I thought we agreed they were consistent?

Anyway can you give any example of Mayo "losing big games, especially when they have been favourites"??
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 21, 2013, 04:51:51 PM
Anyway can you give any example of Mayo "losing big games, especially when they have been favourites"??
This should be good!  :D

ONeill

Quote from: ballinaman on August 21, 2013, 04:55:17 PM

1952 Connacht final.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ballinaman

Quote from: ONeill on August 21, 2013, 05:06:13 PM

1952 Connacht final.
What were the odds?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ONeill on August 21, 2013, 12:24:58 PM
How do Mayo boys respond to boxes up the gub?

That would be seen as a sign of affection in Mayo so no response.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Mayo Mick

Can't believe 80+ pages and can't imagine what people have found to write about  when this game is as predictable as they come. So many things would have to go wrong for us and right for Tyrone that the chances of anything other than a comprehensive win for us is remote.

From what I have seen so far this year Tyrone are average to mediocre – workmanlike and drawing on the confidence and experience of having won 3 AIs in past decade to just about get by lower division teams.  They are nothing like their AI winning teams in terms of power, pace teamwork and individual brilliance. No Dooher, Jordan Canavan, Mulligan and O'Neill a shadow of what he was. Now they are facing a team very like themselves in 2005. The one dimensional slow paced teams that Tyrone have made heavy enough work of getting by up to now will not be in front of them on Sunday. Instead they will face a team with power, skill and pace – way beyond anything they faced this year including Donegal back in May. Their newer players will not have played at this level of intensity before and will probably be gasping for air after 15 minutes. The traditional Tyrone attributes of breaking the tackle will not work nor will their legendary ability to strip teams of the ball.  We are ahead of them in every department of the game – individually and as a team. It could be a long afternoon for the Tyrone fans and having been there myself so many times I can only offer sympathy.

Little enough hype down here. Everybody expects to win in a matter of fact sort of way – this game is a step in getting to the final and nothing more. Know quite a few families heading up so the kids can see the team in Croke Park and knowing they won't get tickets for the final.

Nothing more to say – will have a look back here after the Kerry/Dublin game when we know who we play in the final.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Rossfan

1952 Connacht final.
Famous story about that game - there was a newspaper strike at the time so Radio Éireann refused to believe the scoreline phoned in to them and wouldn't give any result for the game  ;D
They couldn't believe that Mayowr could be beaten .
Guess who bet them  ;) 3-6 to 0-5 wasn't it ?
No such thing as a certainty in sport as those folk who were saying that only Crossmaglen and Donegal could win the All Irelands this year discovered. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on August 21, 2013, 05:51:39 PM

1952 Connacht final.
Famous story about that game - there was a newspaper strike at the time so Radio Éireann refused to believe the scoreline phoned in to them and wouldn't give any result for the game  ;D
No such thing as a certainty in sport as those folk who were saying that only Crossmaglen and Donegal could win the All Irelands this year discovered. ;D

13th July 1952. McHale Park, Castlebar. Connacht SFC final.

Roscommon 3-05 Mayo 0-06

The two-in-a-row defending AI champions (and one win away from a record-equalling five Connacht titles in-a-row) were derailed in spectacular fashion, and suffered a blow to their confidence that they have yet to recover from 61 years later. Feck the priest's curse, it was the Ros.

Oh, and we would go on to repeat the trick at St. Coman's Park in the 1953 final in case anyone still had questions as to who was the better side. ;)

muppet

1952 Connacht final.

QuoteBarring Connaught titles

He considers Connacht nothing so that wasn't a 'big game'.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Quote from: ballinaman on August 21, 2013, 05:09:00 PM

1952 Connacht final.
What were the odds?

I know. Unbelievable.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on August 21, 2013, 05:59:08 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 21, 2013, 05:51:39 PM

1952 Connacht final.

13th July 1952. McHale Park, Castlebar. Connacht SFC final.

Roscommon 3-05 Mayo 0-06

The two-in-a-row defending AI champions (and one win away from a record-equalling five Connacht titles in-a-row) were derailed in spectacular fashion, and suffered a blow to their confidence that they have get to recover from 61 years later. Feck the priest's curse, it was the Ros.

Oh, and we would go on to repeat the trick at St. Coman's Park in the 1953 final in case anyone still had questions as to who was the better side. ;)
"Feck the priest's curse, it was the Ros."
Sounds like some sort of STD.

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2013, 06:01:23 PM

1952 Connacht final.

Why do people ( esp from the North) keep calling it "Connaught"(sic).
It's CONNACHT esp when that's the official title i mBéarla of the GAA entity.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Quote from: Mayo Mick on August 21, 2013, 05:17:33 PM
Can't believe 80+ pages and can't imagine what people have found to write about  when this game is as predictable as they come. So many things would have to go wrong for us and right for Tyrone that the chances of anything other than a comprehensive win for us is remote.

From what I have seen so far this year Tyrone are average to mediocre – workmanlike and drawing on the confidence and experience of having won 3 AIs in past decade to just about get by lower division teams.  They are nothing like their AI winning teams in terms of power, pace teamwork and individual brilliance. No Dooher, Jordan Canavan, Mulligan and O'Neill a shadow of what he was. Now they are facing a team very like themselves in 2005. The one dimensional slow paced teams that Tyrone have made heavy enough work of getting by up to now will not be in front of them on Sunday. Instead they will face a team with power, skill and pace – way beyond anything they faced this year including Donegal back in May. Their newer players will not have played at this level of intensity before and will probably be gasping for air after 15 minutes. The traditional Tyrone attributes of breaking the tackle will not work nor will their legendary ability to strip teams of the ball.  We are ahead of them in every department of the game – individually and as a team. It could be a long afternoon for the Tyrone fans and having been there myself so many times I can only offer sympathy.

Little enough hype down here. Everybody expects to win in a matter of fact sort of way – this game is a step in getting to the final and nothing more. Know quite a few families heading up so the kids can see the team in Croke Park and knowing they won't get tickets for the final.

Nothing more to say – will have a look back here after the Kerry/Dublin game when we know who we play in the final.

Well said Mick and far more truthful than any other post in here but don't worry the same bandwagon will justify there conservatism come Monday morning even if its a hammering of a dozen points or more.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on August 21, 2013, 06:46:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2013, 06:01:23 PM

1952 Connacht final.

Why do people ( esp from the North) keep calling it "Connaught"(sic).
It's CONNACHT esp when that's the official title i mBéarla of the GAA entity.

Same ones that go apeshit if someone says Londonderry, calls the U.K. Britain, refers to Northern Ireland as Ulster.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.