Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 05, 2013, 02:34:16 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 05, 2013, 02:29:50 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 05, 2013, 02:26:18 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 05, 2013, 02:21:49 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 05, 2013, 01:06:47 PM
People seem to think Darren Hughes is superman or something and that a yellow card basically was the reason why Sean Cavanagh shone so well on Saturday against him.  There was nothing Hughes would have been able to do differently had he not been on a yellow card.  The Gormley and Penrose incidents were very inconclusive from the TV replays, with Mone as likely to have been struck with his own hand than Gormleys and Penrose looked like he pushed high in the chest with the one hand as opposed to punching a man.  The referee would have looked a tube if Penrose had been substituted at half time.

2 points -

1. Aidan O'Sé got booked earlier than Darren did against Donegal and went on to be MOM. To argue that the Darren Hughe's booking was a game changer is nonsense in my view.

2. Penrose could not have been subbed at half time - the referee would not have permitted the sub.

Orangeman, AOS wasn't marking one of the best players in the country and he had no one marking him.  He played very well in open spaces against a team that were a busted flush.

The same open space that Tyrone and Monaghan played in on Saturday night ?.

There was no pressure on AOS, the game was over after 10 minutes and Donegal were going through the motions.  There was very little space available to any players on Saturday evening. Every ball was a battle and the game literally was in the balance until the very end.  The stakes may have been the same but the game play was completely different.  AOS could afford to not go into the tackles as they were not required to be made.  Darren Hughes would have been more forceful in his play if he hadn't been on a yellow, also the mental impact of receiving a yellow card erroneously which also coincided with the opposition making a comeback was a major factor.

I know what you're saying but Aidan O'Shea picked up an early yellow card and had to deal with it. It was still an All Ireland quarter final.

Granted it wasn't close yesterday on the scoreboard but I wouldn't accept that Darren's yellow was the game changer.

brokencrossbar1

We'll agree to differ.  Straight after the yellow card Cavanagh got to grips in the MF area and Tyrone levelled the game up with 3 quick points, Monaghan went ahead and Tyrone quickly equalised.  Monaghan never regained the lead after that.  It changed the whole dynamic of the game.

orangeman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 05, 2013, 02:48:45 PM
We'll agree to differ.  Straight after the yellow card Cavanagh got to grips in the MF area and Tyrone levelled the game up with 3 quick points, Monaghan went ahead and Tyrone quickly equalised.  Monaghan never regained the lead after that.  It changed the whole dynamic of the game.

We'll agree to differ.

Cavanagh has been on fire all year.

Talk of man marking Cavanagh from midfield was foolish in my view given his form - Darren needed more help and he didn't get it from his team mates.

nrico2006

People seem to think Darren Hughes is superman or something and that a yellow card basically was the reason why Sean Cavanagh shone so well on Saturday against him.  There was nothing Hughes would have been able to do differently had he not been on a yellow card.  The Gormley and Penrose incidents were very inconclusive from the TV replays, with Mone as likely to have been struck with his own hand than Gormleys and Penrose looked like he pushed high in the chest with the one hand as opposed to punching a man.  The referee would have looked a tube if Penrose had been substituted at half time.

2 points -

1. Aidan O'Sé got booked earlier than Darren did against Donegal and went on to be MOM. To argue that the Darren Hughe's booking was a game changer is nonsense in my view.

2. Penrose could not have been subbed at half time - the referee would not have permitted the sub.

But do we know when the referee actually made the decision in his head to send Penrose off - if it were straight away at the time of the incident then why didn't he.  Did he see a replay, or did he just mull over it.  Its possible that Penrose could have been subbed in the intervening period, what would have happened then?  Do referees at County level deal with all substitutions i.e. do they get a wee piece of paper or is that handled separately on the sideline?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

LCohen

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 05, 2013, 02:55:17 PM
Quote from: LCohen on August 05, 2013, 01:35:06 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM
RTE, cannot let this continue. Granted , people will watch him, just too see shite like today's rant. However , indiscriminate attacks on amateur players, who burst there asses on a nightly basis, has no place in the GAA, or on national TV. ZERO analysis of the actual game? He clearly has his own agenda, and as of today should be removed from his role as a pundit

Complete rubbish.

It was not indiscriminate. He attacked Cavanagh based on the footage we all saw. Instead of attacking JB what about the other pundits who sit on their holes week after week ignoring whats happening before their eyes.

Cavanagh cheated. He accepted the punishment that the game permits.

Whats wrong with the pundits calling cheats and cynics exactly what they are?
You've did a successful job of contradicting yourself in one paragraph. Why has JB himself been sitting on his hole week after week, year after year ignoring what's happening before his eyes before last Saturday?  ;)

He certainly is not guilt free. But he has at last stepped forward and decided that enough is enough. Now is not the time to attack him but to support him

orangeman

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 05, 2013, 02:57:36 PM

2 points -

But do we know when the referee actually made the decision in his head to send Penrose off - if it were straight away at the time of the incident then why didn't he.  Did he see a replay, or did he just mull over it.  Its possible that Penrose could have been subbed in the intervening period, what would have happened then?  Do referees at County level deal with all substitutions i.e. do they get a wee piece of paper or is that handled separately on the sideline?

Pat Doherty from Croke Park came on to the radio yesterday to explain that the sub would not have been permitted. The officials would have rejected the sub.

rrhf

Darren Hughes is a very good footballer, and was unlucky to be booked, but even before the game I felt he was never for getting to grips with Sean Cavanagh.  I think Monaghan would have take the point through on goal anyway under instruction.  They were in a similar position with Gallogly and the short kick out and they took the point.  Malachy O Rourke instructs his players to go out and put goal chances over the bar.... Joe logic.   

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: rrhf on August 05, 2013, 03:13:51 PM
Darren Hughes is a very good footballer, and was unlucky to be booked, but even before the game I felt he was never for getting to grips with Sean Cavanagh.  I think Monaghan would have take the point through on goal anyway under instruction.  They were in a similar position with Gallogly and the short kick out and they took the point.  Malachy O Rourke instructs his players to go out and put goal chances over the bar.... Joe logic.   

I agree that DH would struggle with marking Cavanagh, very few people would mark him on current form, but DH was hamstrung by a bad refereeing decision which had a major bearing on the ebb and flow of the game.  As far as the Gollogly shot, I simply think it was wrong man in the circumstances, if it had been McManus or Freeman it was a goal.  Gollogly is not renowned for his scoring return.

rrhf

Big Packie has saved them from more prolific goal getters and on bigger occasions than those lads to be honest.    I think there was obvious sideline instruction to take the point just as Joe says Sean Cavanagh had been told to rip men down when he runs into the full back line. Where Joes analysis is flawed is that he assumes a complete lack of individuality and its all game plan.  This ironically was what he was fawning over Donegal for.   

screenexile

Quote from: rrhf on August 05, 2013, 03:13:51 PM

Not a chance! McManus could have dropped off and take the the point easily but instead backed himself to go past the 2 men and go for it!!

With regard to all the Derry bashing of 2001 and 2006 and how we obviously started the negativity I would take you back to 1995 and the first classic case of the poorer team using negativity and win at all costs mentality to beat the better team!!

Anyway for the record I can't see Tyrone overcoming Dublin or Mayo as they do not have the pace/power for them. A Dublin/Mayo final and it could be anybodies!

Gabriel_Hurl

Christ - you are like a broken record Loopy

orangeman

I've just looked back the game.

At half time Dessie Mone and Penrose get into a wee spat.

The Saturday game panellists talk about the incident and review it.

Pat Spillane says that the ref might have to take action after half time.

Ironically Joe who went on a rant about cynical play, says in response to Pat, that Dessie "deserved" the slap that he got from Penrose.

Which goes to prove that Joe is just constantly winding Pat and Colm and everybody else up.

It's entertainment.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: screenexile on August 05, 2013, 03:42:41 PMWith regard to all the Derry bashing of 2001 and 2006 and how we obviously started the negativity I would take you back to 1995 and the first classic case of the poorer team using negativity and win at all costs mentality to beat the better team!!

But sure Joe said that Fay Devlin and them boys were as honest as they come  ::)

Applesisapples

Quote from: Throw ball on August 04, 2013, 02:29:05 AM
Some amount of Tyrone people giving out about Brolly tonight. My feelings are that he really lost the run of himself today just like he did when he criticised Paul Grimley earlier in the season. On both occasions the crux of his argument was correct. His delivery was lacking though. Maybe instead of Michael Lyster presenting the show a high court judge could do the job!

For those who say 100% of players would do the same as Cavanagh I would point out that Armagh, and Tony Kernan in particular, let Cain Mackey run 40 yards to score a goal for Cavan with no effort to take him out. Armagh lost that match. Tyrone won today. There is cynical tackling in the game because as the rules stand it pays.
And at all stages of that run Armagh fans were shouting ffs pull him down, stop him. Thats what it takes to win.

red hander

If Brolly 'wants nothing to do with that' I take it he'll be handing back his big cheque from RTE and hanging up the mic?