Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaomhBridAbĂș

as an aside - Enda McGinley was really good on sunday. hope we get to see more of him and maybe less of his old team mates !
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

neilthemac

sin bin

only way to punish teams who drag down players or block forward runs illegally

AZOffaly

Quote from: neilthemac on August 05, 2013, 12:02:04 PM
sin bin

only way to punish teams who drag down players or block forward runs illegally

That's what the black card will attempt to eradicate. No realistic punishment would stop Cavanagh, or anyone else, doing what he did yesterday. I agree with BCB in that it's the less obvious, out the field, fouls, diving, feigning injury (See McFadden yesterday FFS) that is the real issue. A lad dragging a forward down, when he is clean through on goal, is not pretty, but it's a natural reaction if you are desperate in an important game. If we don't like it, bring in a professional foul rule like they have in soccer. But to pretend that that particular incident is somehow a modern phenomonen, or a Tyrone affliction is completely arse about face.

imtommygunn

In a championship game when a man rounds you and has a genuine goal scoring chance you bring him down. That's what we were told from minor level up by coaches. We tried to play the game in a sporting manner but that's just the way it is and was. Nothing has changed in the rules to eradicate this so why should it change.

Brolly should be making an apology to Sean Cavanagh but I don't see that happening any time soon as he's above apologies it seems.

I have no great love for Tyrone but they get a very bad press and have started to get a lot of flak in the media when there are many others as bad as them.

I think Kerry are worse for the systematic fouls than anyone - or at least they were under O'Connor.

Nally Stand

Joe on Radio Occupied Six Counties here
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

J OGorman

Quote from: TY14ED on August 05, 2013, 11:32:15 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 05, 2013, 10:12:29 AM
I think Joe went OTT but there is no doubting the fact he's right!!

Mickey Harte always talks about how good our games are and how much better the GAA is than everyone else. Talking about Hypocrisy and there's your answer. Mickey Harte and Cavanagh are 2 of our games role models and should be held to a higher standard than diving and systematic fouling!

The defence by Tyronies on here is " but everyone else does it" I will point you to the reply my Mother used for years "if everyone jumped off a bridge would you do it too?"

Yes others are at it but Tyrone the longest and that's ten years of Cavanagh getting lads booked and sent off with his diving and Harte pretending his team don't engage in the dark arts when he's had McMenamim, Gormley and Cavanagh on his teams for years.

Joe should stand up for our games as Mickey Harte doesn't seem to want to bar his outrage at the International Rules. Joe always played the game in the spirit it was intended so he's as well placed as anyone to stand up for what's right!

As a Tyrone man I can't pretend to be happy with the SC tackle vs Monaghan and Monaghan should be very cross that Darren Hughes was booked for a fine tackle. But the anger amongst genuine Tyrone people is that no other county has their faults scrutinised with such ferocity and even hatred as we do. I want those tackles eradicated from the game. Similarly the abuse that SoN took from Kildare full back whilst umpires stood and watched. The really galling point is that the pundits on tv and many posters here are very selective when it comes to this analysis. Just take Sats game for example- Many calling SC a cheat for pulling Darren Hughes down and buying the free. Not one person has mentioned Dessie holding Penrose arm as he went past him along the Cusack sideline conning Reilly into giving a Monaghan free. Or the most blatant dive (rediculous) by Drew Wylie when in attack late in 2nd half. There were enough incidents like this to have merited Monaghan being on the receiving end of a Brolly drama show. End of first half- Peter Harte in attack, blatant jersey pull, Reilly can see the foul but ignores it, another one that springs to mind.

Enda mcGinley on the BBC (who we shall certainly be hearing more from) tried to provide a bit of balance to the weekend games. He highlighted just how defensive Kerry (blanket) can be but Carney, mcStay, Canning etc won't bring themselves to talk in such terms unless it's Ulster, and more so Tyrone teams. The Dubs on sat, for all their glorious attacking football filtered many men back into defence. Harte probably isn't helping the Tyrone case with the RTE interview ban (as big Joe tweeted yesterday, they have their reasons) but regardless, a balanced analysis is the least we should expect. Slating Tyrone is the easy option but the bigger issues are sorting out the rules (applying them consistently), improving standard of referees and officials, and removing the self centred egomen from punditry and replacing with guys that are fair and balanced....Dara O'Se, Anthony Tohill, Ciaran whelan, Dessie Dolan and many others are what we need in the studio. Finally EVERY county, including my own, needs to quickly remove the nasty element from their game.

Screen exile- I'm not taking issue with your points or opinion, just that this particular point sparked a memory. As far back as the mid/late 90's I recall playing Derry in Clones. Think Derry won the game. But my abiding memory is the Bellaghy man beside commenting with a few minutes left that Tyrone will never break us down now. And right enough, when we counted, Derry had 13 men inside their own half with just Joe and his partner up front. No word of a blanket in those days but often it was there.

A few egotistical pundits shouldnt be allowed to tarnish a team, county, manager or player whilst providing absolutely no balance in the debate.

I'll hunt out the DVD to see what you think.

no harm to Tyrone and Tyrone folk, but its not just the tackling. Its the spirit that Tyrone teams seem to play the game. Its the diving / going to ground at the slightest touch. The constant trash talking, and goading other players that way too many of their players engage in (you see it all the time when the camera pans in on a couple of players), the blanket defence, the cynical win at all costs approach that has lent Tyrone to be more lambasted than other counties. Some of the performances in winning their Sams down the years were up there with Mayo's demolition of Donegal yesterday and were notable in the absence of these theatrics

AZOffaly

Kerry are certainly no angels. Declan O'Sullivan, who I have great time for, gave a prime example. He went for a ball, couldn't pick it up, ended up on the ground and hand tripped the lad coming out with the ball to stop him counter attacking. That would be black carded next year and rightly so.

Mind you Declan is probably one of the most fouled lads himself because of his strength carrying the ball. Cavan dragged him a lot yesterday and that would be common stuff.

A lot of teams are at it, it has to be said, and that's what I'm hoping the black card will tackle. No pun intended. The man running through and the last ditch foul will stay in the game even if it becomes a red card offence.

J OGorman

and as regards the Brolly outburst, whilst I agree with what he is saying regarding cynical play, he should surely have the manners to apologise to Sean Cavanagh. We are all guilty of not seperating the difference between a man in the heat of battle and man off the field. He was way to personal questioning Cavanagh as a 'man'.

DennistheMenace

He just defeneded himself on BBC radio there.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 05, 2013, 12:33:13 PM

Shouldn't he be in court or in chambers?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 05, 2013, 12:41:31 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 05, 2013, 12:33:13 PM

Shouldn't he be in court or in chambers?

Summer recess, hes on fun time :P

rrhf

Im sure it is very convincing too. We all love a good debate with a professional argument winner.  At least we cant see the theatrical techniques the huff poise, the finger wagging, the mock outrage etc.  Im an admirer of Joe but I dont want him pulling any more of that hysterical crap on TV anymore in the guise of analysing our games.  Maybe theres a way back for him after this in punditry, in a way Id hope so because he has some interesting sides to his personality but he needs to apologise to Harte and Cavanagh.  HAs he the balls on him to do that - Time will tell.             

orangeman

There'll be no apologies. Joe is loving this. He does make good points - points that other men don't have the courage to make.

Yes he goes over the top and is made to look silly at times. But he is intelligent and knows how to wind people up - it's his job to wind people up isn't it and get them to lose the bap in court and win cases that he shouldn't be winning.

I'm sure Joe has in the past defended people who are as guilty as hell and has went to all sorts of extremes to get them off.

Arguing about Sean Cavanagh and what he did on Saturday is not life or death stuff.

Nobody got hurt. Monaghan lost and deservedly so.

No big deal.

Calm the jets.

Sean and Tyrone peope will get over it.

nrico2006

People seem to think Darren Hughes is superman or something and that a yellow card basically was the reason why Sean Cavanagh shone so well on Saturday against him.  There was nothing Hughes would have been able to do differently had he not been on a yellow card.  The Gormley and Penrose incidents were very inconclusive from the TV replays, with Mone as likely to have been struck with his own hand than Gormleys and Penrose looked like he pushed high in the chest with the one hand as opposed to punching a man.  The referee would have looked a tube if Penrose had been substituted at half time. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Walter Cronc

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 05, 2013, 01:06:47 PM
People seem to think Darren Hughes is superman or something and that a yellow card basically was the reason why Sean Cavanagh shone so well on Saturday against him.  There was nothing Hughes would have been able to do differently had he not been on a yellow card.  The Gormley and Penrose incidents were very inconclusive from the TV replays, with Mone as likely to have been struck with his own hand than Gormleys and Penrose looked like he pushed high in the chest with the one hand as opposed to punching a man.  The referee would have looked a tube if Penrose had been substituted at half time. 

Nonsense Darren Hughes is a superb footballer and more than capable of limiting Cavanaghs influence.