Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 05, 2013, 10:15:26 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 05, 2013, 10:12:29 AM
The defence by Tyronies on here is " but everyone else does it" I will point you to the reply my Mother used for years "if everyone jumped off a bridge would you do it too?"
Did yo momma also tell you the phrase "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?"  ;)

No that ones from the bible lad!

screenexile

Quote from: NaomhBridAbĂș on August 05, 2013, 10:14:50 AM
I think Joe went OTT but there is no doubting the fact he's right!!

Mickey Harte always talks about how good our games are and how much better the GAA is than everyone else. Talking about Hypocrisy and there's your answer. Mickey Harte and Cavanagh are 2 of our games role models and should be held to a higher standard than diving and systematic fouling!

The defence by Tyronies on here is " but everyone else does it" I will point you to the reply my Mother used for years "if everyone jumped off a bridge would you do it too?"

Yes others are at it but Tyrone the longest and that's ten years of Cavanagh getting lads booked and sent off with his diving and Harte pretending his team don't engage in the dark arts when he's had McMenamim, Gormley and Cavanagh on his teams for years.

Joe should stand up for our games as Mickey Harte doesn't seem to want to bar his outrage at the International Rules. Joe always played the game in the spirit it was intended so he's as well placed as anyone to stand up for what's right!

thats a fairly contentious post there - final line about Joe always playing the game in the right spirit just lets you down. alot.

I watched Joe playing Club and County football from 90 and even played against him in his formative years I'd consider myself fairly well placed to make that comment.

Unless people are still giving out about his blowing kisses which was probably the funniest thing to ever happen in the GAA.

screenexile

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 05, 2013, 10:34:50 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 05, 2013, 10:31:42 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 05, 2013, 10:15:26 AM
Did yo momma also tell you the phrase "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?"  ;)

No that ones from the bible lad!
Did she not tell you about the bible?

Yeah I got read the parables of Jesus every night ::)

Good to see the inbreds able to engage in reasoned debate as usual.

omagh_gael

Comletely agree with you BCB re your team foul suggestion, however,  have to challenge your view around Joe's initial outburst about the 'celebration' after victory. This has already been mentioned here but in 2006 Derry played out the most turgid, negative, cynical display of systematic fouling, goading and 'cheating' to beat us in the first round in Ulster. They celebrated like they had won the all ireland, with Joe himself in full flight in the main stand in Healy Park. There's photographic proof of him celbrating with Feagal Doherty coming off the pitch.

Derry employed these tactics as they were poorer footballers than us at the time and it worked.  It was a means to an end and played within the rules at the time. We aren't blessed with the same quality of footballer at present so we've changed tact in how we play the game as a means to an end. So forgive me but I don't buy the faux outrage spat out by Joe about fellow amatuers reacting the exact same way he did in almost identical scenarios.

CD

This is the third or fourth very personal and vitriolic attack that Brolly has made in the last few months. The personal nature of his comments towards Paul Grimley after Armagh's defeat by Cavan and his constant criticism of Conor Counihan and his tactics as Cork manager are further examples of the fact that he is getting away with using a public broadcaster to air personal grievances.
I enjoy watching him as he adds a bit of life to a very 'grey' panel but it isn't acceptable for a so called critic of amature sportsmen to attack indiivduals personally. By all means, have a go at Armagh, Cork and Tyrone tactics but don't attack individuals!
Mickey Harte and many Tyrone people are already embroiled (and rightfully so) in a kind of RTE boycott and I feel that this incident will embitter them further. Don't be surprised if there is a complete boycott of RTE as a result.

It's about time Brolly was publically disciplined by RTE - even Spillane and O'Rourke - while demonstrating a great deal of discomfort, didn't intervene and they really should have. Only the listless Lister defended Cavanagh and had the last word.

The folded arms and petulant snarl on his face really did remind me of 'the child in the playground' that Paul Grimley described him as.

The disappointing thing is, there is a very important debate about so called cynical fouling, and Joe 'the entertainer' has hijacked that and made it all about him.

Joe Must Go
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

orangeman

Joe wins again.

4 quarter finals played this weekend.

What and who are we all talking about ?

Joe !

It's show time every weekend for RTE and Joe. RTE must be loving it.

ardtole

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 05, 2013, 10:24:30 AM
Joe is right in what he said.  I really don't think the black card is the answer either.  To deal with systematic fouling I would adopt a 'team foul' system similar to basketball.  When a team reaches  number of fouls every foul thereafter will give the opposition a 21 yard free from the edge of the D on either side depending on who is hitting it.  The player fouled must hit the free, so you could have a goalkeeper hitting the free but it would reduce the level of fouling if a team knew that after committing say 7 fouls per half then they would be at risk of losing a score per foul.  Punish on the score board and award the team that learns how to play within the rules.  While I agree that I would have done what Cavanagh did and applaud my team mates if they did it, that doesn't mean it is right and I think Joe was angry at the 'celebration' from victory which in many ways was achieved through cheating. 

I personally was more annoyed at the other Cavanagh incident, which in many ways is a greater blight on the game.  Darren Hughes executed the perfect tackle and Cavanagh pulled him down.  Darren picked up a yellow card, incorrectly, when it should have been Cavanagh picking it up.  This changed the whole dynamic of the game.  Cavanagh began to dominate MF and scored 3 points on the bounce.  Darren Hughes had to stand off the man as he couldn't risk the second yellow.  Also the sense of injustice would have played on Darren for a good while after this and he was distracted. To me if the ref had made the correct call there then the game probably would have panned out differently.

Id have to agree with you on both points bcb1. The points idea is a very good one. Also Darren Hughes was doing fine on Cavanagh up until that point, the incorrect booking definitley affected his performance after that.

TY14ED

I think Joe went OTT but there is no doubting the fact he's right!!

Mickey Harte always talks about how good our games are and how much better the GAA is than everyone else. Talking about Hypocrisy and there's your answer. Mickey Harte and Cavanagh are 2 of our games role models and should be held to a higher standard than diving and systematic fouling!

Yes others are at it but Tyrone the longest and that's ten years of Cavanagh getting lads booked and sent off with his diving and Harte pretending his team don't engage in the dark arts when he's had McMenamim, Gormley and Cavanagh on his teams for years.

Joe should stand up for our games as Mickey Harte doesn't seem to want to bar his outrage at the International Rules. Joe always played the game in the spirit it was intended so he's as well placed as anyone to stand up for what's right!

As a Tyrone man I can't pretend to be happy with the SC tackle vs Monaghan and Monaghan should be very cross that Darren Hughes was booked for a fine tackle. But the anger amongst genuine Tyrone people is that no other county has their faults scrutinised with such ferocity and even hatred as we do. I want those tackles eradicated from the game. Similarly the abuse that SoN took from Kildare full back whilst umpires stood and watched. The really galling point is that the pundits on tv and many posters here are very selective when it comes to this analysis. Just take Sats game for example- Many calling SC a cheat for pulling Darren Hughes down and buying the free. Not one person has mentioned Dessie holding Penrose arm as he went past him along the Cusack sideline conning Reilly into giving a Monaghan free. Or the most blatant dive (rediculous) by Drew Wylie when in attack late in 2nd half. There were enough incidents like this to have merited Monaghan being on the receiving end of a Brolly drama show. End of first half- Peter Harte in attack, blatant jersey pull, Reilly can see the foul but ignores it, another one that springs to mind.

Enda mcGinley on the BBC (who we shall certainly be hearing more from) tried to provide a bit of balance to the weekend games. He highlighted just how defensive Kerry (blanket) can be but Carney, mcStay, Canning etc won't bring themselves to talk in such terms unless it's Ulster, and more so Tyrone teams. The Dubs on sat, for all their glorious attacking football filtered many men back into defence. Harte probably isn't helping the Tyrone case with the RTE interview ban (as big Joe tweeted yesterday, they have their reasons) but regardless, a balanced analysis is the least we should expect. Slating Tyrone is the easy option but the bigger issues are sorting out the rules (applying them consistently), improving standard of referees and officials, and removing the self centred egomen from punditry and replacing with guys that are fair and balanced....Dara O'Se, Anthony Tohill, Ciaran whelan, Dessie Dolan and many others are what we need in the studio. Finally EVERY county, including my own, needs to quickly remove the nasty element from their game.

Screen exile- I'm not taking issue with your points or opinion, just that this particular point sparked a memory. As far back as the mid/late 90's I recall playing Derry in Clones. Think Derry won the game. But my abiding memory is the Bellaghy man beside commenting with a few minutes left that Tyrone will never break us down now. And right enough, when we counted, Derry had 13 men inside their own half with just Joe and his partner up front. No word of a blanket in those days but often it was there.

A few egotistical pundits shouldnt be allowed to tarnish a team, county, manager or player whilst providing absolutely no balance in the debate.

I'll hunt out the DVD to see what you think.

EC Unique

I'm told that BBC on Saturday was very good with McGeeney in particular giving good analysis. I watched the BBC yesterday and thought Enda McGinley was very good also for a guy with little experience. Maybe the fact that McGeeney and McGinley are both fresh from county set-ups leaves them in a much better position to comment on these games than the much older men on RTE. I will be watching BBC from now on when not at the games.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: EC Unique on August 05, 2013, 11:34:00 AM
I'm told that BBC on Saturday was very good with McGeeney in particular giving good analysis. I watched the BBC yesterday and thought Enda McGinley was very good also for a guy with little experience. Maybe the fact that McGeeney and McGinley are both fresh from county set-ups leaves them in a much better position to comment on these games than the much older men on RTE. I will be watching BBC from now on when not at the games.

I thought McGinley was excellent yesterday, a great insight into the way the game is played.  However, he was lucky in that there was very little analysis really needed of the 2 games as they were basically dead rubber games.  James is in a difficult position as an analyst as he is nearly afraid to be critical in case it is used as motivation at some stage in the future by a team, maybe not a good thing to have current players/managers as analysts as they cannot say what they really think. 

Cold tea

Maybe for analysis but Jesus the commentary is crap.

ardtole

Newstalk radios coverage of the games is so far ahead of rtes radio coverage as well. I was working and listening to games on the radio, newstalk had Darragh Ose, Conor Deegan and David Brady I think doing analysis, each station covered a game each on the saturday and in my opinion newstalk is in a different league.

blewuporstuffed

thats a good point, i really dont think the like of spillane understands the modern game very well at all.
Mcgeeney and mcginley were both excellent oon the BBC over the weekend, dara ose is generally very good on TV3 as well, as is senan connell.
mugsy isnt cut out to be a pundit though
i usually watch the game on RTE if i can particularly if darragh maloney is doing commenatary as its much better, but then turn to bbc for the ht /ft analysis
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

NAG1

Yeah did give a good insight to it, but seriously was someone holding his family hostage during the show. I dont think he could be any more dead pan if he tried. If he had a bit more life too him he would be a good watch.