Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 08, 2013, 12:42:00 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on August 08, 2013, 12:39:41 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 08, 2013, 12:32:06 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on August 08, 2013, 12:24:41 PM
That is twice in 2 days Joe has had to make public apologies for insulting people. Maybe he will learn from this or maybe not but I certainly hope RTE learn that he is not what is required or wanted by true fans of the game post match. We want to hear a proper analysis of the games tactics and how the game was won and lost. We want to see good passages of play and great scores.

We might see some if there are less rugby tackles.

You are proving my point for me. There were less frees in the Tyrone-Monaghan game than the other 3 games at the weekend, there were loads of great scores from both teams but people are only talking about one tackle because Joe had a wee hissy fit. It is far from balanced analysis.

It was a key moment in the game. If McManus had scored, Monaghan were the likely winners at that point.

Brolly was right to highlight the incident, but wrong to personalise his criticism.

there was 20 minutes left at that stage FFS!!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

screenexile

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 08, 2013, 01:42:29 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 08, 2013, 12:02:19 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 08, 2013, 11:31:19 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 08, 2013, 11:27:36 AM
So Cavanagh's let it go now and accepted his apology, is there any chance the rest of ye Tyronies can??

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=198305

So he apologised as soon as he came face to face with Sean, even after saying on every media outlet going that he had nothing to apologise for? He truly is a cowardly little weasel.

As opposed to yourself... using an anonymous internet forum to call someone in the public domain a cowardly little weasel! Fantastic!!! You Tyronies know how to dig holes alright!

As opposed to yourself... using an anonymous internet forum to bitch incessantly about "Tyronies"!

I'm far from anonymous on this forum ... I thought Tyronies would be quite a welcome change to what youse are normally called!

theticklemister

Hitler's correct, the people from Tyrone are a bunch of hoorbags.

blewuporstuffed

one thing Joe has certainly achieved is increase the post rate on this board over the last week!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: screenexile on August 08, 2013, 01:54:53 PMI'm far from anonymous on this forum ... I thought Tyronies would be quite a welcome change to what youse are normally called!

Ah sure why would Tyrone people care about what a Canadian has to say?  ;)

orangeman

Does Joe view or post on the board ?

If he does, there's not a hate wrong with Joe - great fella. He does a lot of very good work.

If he does, same comments apply.

Club Rossa

Yous Derry wans are getting very excited about this craic.Joe's word is taken as gospel by the Joke leafs.As Derry are always out of the championship at this stage Joe's views are about all you have to look forward to on the Sunday Game.

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2013, 12:55:28 PM
What if: Declan O'Sullivan did the same to Kevin McManamon in the final 2 years ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B8yqLAX7iE

I mentioned this one before in my many, many pointless posts on this incident :) The background to this is that Dec O'Sullivan was at least 'scrambled' at this stage, if you remember, after a Ger Brennan collision earlier on where he got a shoulder around the head area.

I have no doubt that he'd have fould McMenamon if he was in the whole of his health. Actually he'd not have turned the ball over in midfield in the first place, but he'd certainly have fouled him. Last Sunday he dragged down a Cavan man who was threatening to come out with the ball in his own full back line.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Club Rossa on August 08, 2013, 02:27:56 PM
Yous Derry wans are getting very excited about this craic.Joe's word is taken as gospel by the Joke leafs.As Derry are always out of the championship at this stage Joe's views are about all you have to look forward to on the Sunday Game.

Nice try Rossa ;)

It was a similar style tackle that your keeper pulled off against Dromore a few years back! Ouch.

Applesisapples

Jayus lads the fact that you are all getting so worked up over Joe means his job is done. RTE quite clearly have a formula which has worked in soccer for some years now with Dunphy, Brady and Giles bickering away and have worked it into the Sunday Game. I don't always agree with Joe but Christ he's the reason I choose RTE analysis over BBC...even though Jarlath and Oisin (Praise be upon them) are contributors. Yes Sunday was a bit OTT, but do you know Sean Cavanagh has been the one Tyrone footballer I have admired most over the years and that still stands. In an ideal world McManus would have been allowed to work the keeper but by the same token if any player from a team I was coaching didn't stop an advancing forward I'd be pissed off. Joe is right this is an issue for the GAA and the whole disciplinary process needs looked at with a toting up system and match bans as opposed to calender weeks is required. As for the so called attacks on Cavanagh well it goes with the turf. As for Mickey Harte given his recent troubles I would normally say leave him in peace, except he courts the media and is happy to give his opinions for money in the IN...a bit like Joe...eh?

Club Rossa

Trying to think of incidents where Glen did the same in a co. final Walter but i'm beat.We'll not mention the minors though ;)

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Club Rossa on August 08, 2013, 03:05:15 PM
Trying to think of incidents where Glen did the same in a co. final Walter but i'm beat.We'll not mention the minors though ;)

Haha.... we dont partake above minors!!

easytiger95

The problem I'd have with the reaction to this is the stunning cynicism with regard to the ex-players who have commented on it. We are still an amateur sport, but the over riding mantra here is "do what has to be done" - a philosophy that created Eastern European steroid farms, Flo Jo, Ben Johnson, Lance Armstrong, Pete Rose, Calciopoli, Balco. Coupled with this cynicism from the actual players is the wilful niavety we display ourselves as fans. Can we honestly believe that if we tolerate a culture that allows such calculation in search of victory on the pitch, that off it things are living up to the Corinthian ideals of amateurism?

I'm not saying that I have any knowledge of organised cheating off the pitch, but the logical outcome of this philosophy isn't hard to see. I've heard Cavanagh's actions (who I hugely admire as a footballer and a man) excused by the fact that he is an elite athlete, and that is what they do - they win. All of the examples above are of elite athletes who won.

I play five a side still and the other week chopped down my best mate with a horrible challenge to stop him scoring. But I'm not an elite athlete (and I'm a bit of a clown) and during my own, mercifully short, playing career I substituted faux hard-man pretensions for actual skill. At the highest level you'd hope that skill is the difference between the journeyman and the legend. People have always tried to take out the skilful - think of Matt Connor skipping challenges, Mikey Sheehy shrugging off Cork full back lines, Bernard Brogan scoring a point with three Donegal players on his back. What is most depressing about all this is that Cavanagh felt the need to do it, and Cavanagh in full flow is one of the greatest expressions of the game. Even the angels are carrying forks now.

I don't personally have any problem with Cavanagh doing it. What I do have a problem with is the shoulder shrugging acceptance of this philosophy. The GAA needs to not only to change the rules, but also change their attitude towards changing rules. They are the guardians of the game - the protection and encouragement of skill should be paramount. Rule changes should be a fluid and ongoing, evolving process, because you can be damn sure that managers are making their plans for the black card now.

Brolly was over the top, sure - but let's use it as a catalyst for change rather than an excuse for a fatwa.

AZOffaly

Easytiger, I've commented ad nauseum on this in the other threads, but basically my take on it is that every player I know, or have known, would make that same 'tackle' in the same situation. It's desperation stuff, and you can't really take that sense of desperation out of things because it's such a spontaneous thing. By all means punish it with a straight red if that's what people want to do.

However, my issue is that in highlighting *this* incident, Joe and others are taking the spotlight off the really calculated, cynical but less obvious fouls that happen out the field. He's making this about the dramatic, last ditch desperation lunge as opposed to the real problem in my opinion which is the deliberate, instructed fouls made by midfielders, half forwards and full forwards to 'kill the game' and allow the packed defences get set up.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 08, 2013, 03:36:10 PM
What is most depressing about all this is that Cavanagh felt the need to do it, and Cavanagh in full flow is one of the greatest expressions of the game. Even the angels are carrying forks now.

Great line, just about sums it up. Welcome back et.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...