BT Sport

Started by Gaffer, July 27, 2013, 10:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on August 06, 2013, 01:24:04 PM
Rang that number there and they told me I needed a minimum broadband speed of 3 Meg for BT Vision and I've only got 1.6 Meg, I'm surprised its even as high as that, so no go.

They hope to have BT Infinity in the area in 6 months time....
I'm taking from your post you don't have Sky TV?

J OGorman

Quote from: theticklemister on August 06, 2013, 06:27:22 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 06, 2013, 05:57:04 PM
The BT Sport 1 & 2 channels on the Freeview platform are only for BT Vision subscribers who are not on or cannot get BT Inifinty. They can't be brought as a standalone subscription like Sky Sports 1 & 2, ESPN and Setanta Sports used to be on the platform.

So I need to upgrade to BT vision or infinity to access the sport channels?

TV yes but you can download the app onto a phone / tablet and run it through those. Hard to believe infinity isnt available in more areas yet. ..think I registered my interest 13 year's ago

J OGorman

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 06, 2013, 09:46:20 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on August 06, 2013, 09:09:29 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on August 06, 2013, 06:27:22 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 06, 2013, 05:57:04 PM
The BT Sport 1 & 2 channels on the Freeview platform are only for BT Vision subscribers who are not on or cannot get BT Inifinty. They can't be brought as a standalone subscription like Sky Sports 1 & 2, ESPN and Setanta Sports used to be on the platform.

So I need to upgrade to BT vision or infinity to access the sport channels?

TV yes but you can download the app onto a phone / tablet and run it through those. Hard to believe infinity isnt available in more areas yet. ..think I registered my interest 13 year's ago
Current roll out of FTTC (aka BT Infinity) is completed to the best of my knowledge, not all cabinets were going to be upgraded. If it hasn't been upgraded yet then it's unlikely to be for the foreseeable future.

Speaking to a bt guy at footy. .says the same thing. Hard to believe you can't get it in a city. .2nd class citizens us north west folk ;-)

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 06, 2013, 08:53:18 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 06, 2013, 01:24:04 PM
Rang that number there and they told me I needed a minimum broadband speed of 3 Meg for BT Vision and I've only got 1.6 Meg, I'm surprised its even as high as that, so no go.

They hope to have BT Infinity in the area in 6 months time....
I'm taking from your post you don't have Sky TV?

What, and line the pockets of that right wing cúnt Murdock? Are you wise?

;D

No, don't have sky or freesat.

Smokin Joe

Derry and Belfast broadband may still be upgraded due to city special funding arrangements.  However, apart from that BT are finished with their upgrades (I was speaking to a guy this morning).

The only way that us remaining rural dwellers with slow broadband will get any joy is from the likes of this scheme http://www.detini.gov.uk/deti-telecoms-index/deti-telecoms-whats-new.htm  although I've no idea of timescale.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 08, 2013, 02:15:08 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on August 08, 2013, 01:33:57 PM
Derry and Belfast broadband may still be upgraded due to city special funding arrangements.  However, apart from that BT are finished with their upgrades (I was speaking to a guy this morning).

The only way that us remaining rural dwellers with slow broadband will get any joy is from the likes of this scheme http://www.detini.gov.uk/deti-telecoms-index/deti-telecoms-whats-new.htm  although I've no idea of timescale.
Have you checked to see if local 3G mobile coverage has improved in your area recently Joe? There's been an improvement in most rural parts of the north even from just 12 months ago in such coverage from O2, EE (EE, Orange & T-Mobile are now all part of the same family) and 3 that most people even in some very isolated places should be able to get at least one 3G network if they have coverage from at least two 2G networks. Fintona for example has went from zero this time last year to having three 3G networks available since April and this would be the same for many other small towns & mid-large villages not within a sniff of the likes of Derry city or Belfast.

Satellite broadband is also another option. It's still not as cheap as ADSL but it's a lot cheaper than it used to be a couple of years ago, and when you factor in the lack of line rental if you don't really need a landline telephone it's not hugely expensive for many people now.

Cheers Fionn.

Unfortunately my mobile coverage isn't great at home due to a lot of trees nearby so 3G isn't an option for me either.

Satellite broadband has some fairly small download limits.  I think I remember looking at the £40 or £50 per month option just got 10Gb per month.
It's a pity the data caps are fairly low as otherwise I agree it would be a real option.

brokencrossbar1

Got Bt Sport in last night, was great to watch the Liverpool game on the big screen instead of the computer and it free and all.

illdecide

I was going to take this BT Sport option out there and i phoned Sky to get my MAC code from them and they have offered me a 12 month contract paying £119.4 up front and then £21 a month and that gets me unlimited broadband, free evening and weekend calls, Sky TV and Sky Sports as well as the standard channels and the recording box.

Think that's a better deal.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 08, 2013, 03:11:18 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on August 08, 2013, 02:46:09 PMCheers Fionn.

Unfortunately my mobile coverage isn't great at home due to a lot of trees nearby so 3G isn't an option for me either.

Satellite broadband has some fairly small download limits.  I think I remember looking at the £40 or £50 per month option just got 10Gb per month.
It's a pity the data caps are fairly low as otherwise I agree it would be a real option.
Have a look at www.tooway.co.uk - this comes from a satellite broadband service run by Eutelsat which has resellers across Europe, the same satellite is used for RTÉ's Saorsat service. At least two I've seen (Bentley Walker and Avonline Broadband) have 20Gb per month for ~£35 with speeds 20Mbps down & 6Mbps up which doesn't look very special but it does include unlimited usage between 11pm & 7am which is useful if you're looking to schedule large downloads. Factor in that most people are paying around £13-15 per month for line rental and combine that with what most people pay also for ADSL then after the initial outlays it's not excessively expensive compared to BB over copper phone lines. Just for the record I've not really used satellite broadband other than a few occasions with other people's terminals for very short periods, but in the likes of the south and also over in Wales where such set ups are more common, most users seem to be satisfied with their service.

As regards 3G, it is possible to use a fixed external aerial which may improve matters if signal strength is a problem, but either a site survey or your own knowledge of the lie of the land can only give real answers for that idea.

Thanks for that. I might just investigate that a bit more.

Does the delay or lag with the satellite  affect streaming do you know?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 08, 2013, 09:12:40 PM
From what I'm told it takes a few more seconds to start streaming due to the long latency inherit with satellite broadband (you can't change the laws of physics) but once it starts it works fine.

Well that wouldn't be a problem - thanks.

laoislad

I'm liking  BT Sport.  Great 2 hrs of Premier League live preview show just there.
Michael Owen,Owen Hargreaves are grand to listen to Macca is ok but not to sure about David James.
Still though it was a nice  change to Paul Merson Phil Thompson Jamie Redknapp and the rest of them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Haven't watched much yet. Will get stuck into over the next few weeks. Will take a while for the viewing figures to increase.

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on August 12, 2013, 10:01:58 PM
I'm liking  BT Sport.  Great 2 hrs of Premier League live preview show just there.
Michael Owen,Owen Hargreaves are grand to listen to Macca is ok but not to sure about David James.
Still though it was a nice  change to Paul Merson Phil Thompson Jamie Redknapp and the rest of them.

Was just thinking that. I caught the last 15 minutes or so. Interesting that all 3 ex-Liverpool players picked Liverpool to finish in the top 4 I think :) The delusion is not limited to the fans :) Hargreaves picked Liverpool 6th.

NAG1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 12, 2013, 11:59:10 PM
Haven't watched much yet. Will get stuck into over the next few weeks. Will take a while for the viewing figures to increase.

It will for sure if they keep that p***k Matt Dawson on it, jaysus he is insufferable.