Cork team V Galway

Started by Zulu, July 24, 2013, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Some goal from Meehan at the end against 10 goalkeepers. God be with the days when the ref would have given us an extra 30 seconds and a handy free at the end.

ross4life

How many one point qualifier defeats is that for Galway now? Meehan the best forward on display today i thought and in Conroy they have found a top midfielder. Still a bit loose at the back but Galway should push Mayo all the way in Connacht next year.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 27, 2013, 06:41:25 PM
God be with the days when the ref would have given us an extra 30 seconds and a handy free at the end.
Prior and Bannon are retired  ;)
Brave effort but nearly never bulled the cow as they say.
A year that looked like a disaster for the herrins in May now looks like a dacent year.
Ross4life - are you ruling us out for Connacht already  :(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross4life on July 27, 2013, 06:42:06 PM
How many one point qualifier defeats is that for Galway now? Meehan the best forward on display today i thought and in Conroy they have found a top midfielder. Still a bit loose at the back but Galway should push Mayo all the way in Connacht next year.

Hard to know what happened to Galway in the Mayo game. It was just a complete system malfunction on the day but they are definitely nowhere near as bad as they looked that day.

GalwayBayBoy

On the positive side it was good to see Meehan and Armstrong playing well in Croke Park. Two lads bedevilled by injury. Paul Conroy is really developing into a super footballer. And hopefully it will stand to the young lads like Flynn, Walsh, Varley in the next few years.

On the negative side, Galway maybe a bit naive there at the end. 3 points up with time running out you have to shut up shop in front of goal and don't concede one under any circumstances. If the opposition get back level make them kick points to do it.

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2013, 06:44:56 PM
w looks like a dacent year.
Ross4life - are you ruling us out for Connacht already  :(
We shall be lurking in long grass.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Asal Mor

We look in good shape for 2014 but what do we think of Mullholland? Is he the right man to bring us on or is he too naive tactically? I suppose he's done enough to get another year anyway.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 27, 2013, 07:02:00 PM
We look in good shape for 2014 but what do we think of Mullholland? Is he the right man to bring us on or is he too naive tactically? I suppose he's done enough to get another year anyway.

I thought he was a goner after the Mayo game but in fairness to him he's done a great job since. Even tactically. He put more grafters into the team and played with a sweeper when needed. Nothing that hasn't been seen before but it really steadied the ship. Deserves another year anyway to bring in some more of the U-21's and maybe get lads like Bradshaw back. Conditioning wise Galway are probably still a little behind the top sides so more work needed there. Need to be better in the league next year especially away from home.

Asal Mor

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 27, 2013, 07:12:12 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on July 27, 2013, 07:02:00 PM

I thought he was a goner after the Mayo game but in fairness to him he's done a great job since. Even tactically. He put more grafters into the team and played with a sweeper when needed. Nothing that hasn't been seen before but it really steadied the ship. Deserves another year anyway to bring in some more of the U-21's and maybe get lads like Bradshaw back. Conditioning wise Galway are probably still a little behind the top sides so more work needed there.
Yeah he seems like a very sound fella so it's good that things have turned around for him. The raw materials are there us to be All-Ireland contenders in a year or two.

Hardy

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 27, 2013, 06:41:25 PM
Some goal from Meehan at the end against 10 goalkeepers. God be with the days when the ref would have given us an extra 30 seconds and a handy free at the end.

That was the outstanding moment of the day for me. Brilliant.

I liked Mickey Newman's penalty too.

rodney trotter

It was a joy to watch Michael Meehan yesterday, unlucky to be on the losing side. Galway threw it away. Meehan and Sean Armstrong linked up very well. Danny Cummins was having a great game too, but had to off around 25 minutes injured. Big loss.

Corks power was the difference. Pease O Neill is an animal.

An Fhairche Abu

Conditioning wise Galway are probably still a little behind the top sides so more work needed there.

There's no little about it, the superior physicality of Cork (allied to a much better bench) in the last ten minutes really told, they won about 6 breaks from kickouts in a row during that period, hitting 1-3 without reply in the process, that was the difference. I think we would have held out for the win if Cork didn't raise a green flag but let's be honest, the Galway goal was leading a charmed life for most of the match.

Conroy has turned into the leader on that Galway team, excellent again yesterday. Meehan, well for a man that shouldn't be playing at all he was hands down the best forward on show, pure class and his goal, while immaterial to the result was an astounding effort. Cummins was a big loss, was showing very well for the ball prior to his injury. Galway are still not cynical and physically strong enough at the moment though, Cork were by far the more powerful team when the bodies were tiring. A lot of work needed in defence but I thought that there was good games from Hanley and O'Neill back there. Lacking a top class CHB big time although that's been the case for many years.
Something there to build on for 2014 but there is still a very long way to go and lots to improve. one good thing is that Meehan and Hanley aside all the players that Galway will be looking to build around are on the upward curve of their inter county careers, I really hope that they can make a big step up next year.
Proud of the effort and performance of Galway against a better, more seasoned squad of Cork players, they didn't leave anything after them and although this was another one point loss in the championship, it was in far different circumstances to the likes of the Antrim defeat last year, the players were obviously gutted at the full time whistle but all those men in the jerseys want to be out there for Galway and it was great to see the Galway support around the Cusack tunnel entrance clap them off the pitch, well deserved. Big turnaround from May 19th for Mulholland as well, job will still be his if he wants it I'd say.

As for Cork, I'll be very surprised if they beat the Dubs based on where they are at the minute, Colm O'Neill is a huge loss and if a fairly moderate Galway outfit can push them as much as that you'd have to fancy Dublin to win the q-final.

DJGaliv

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 28, 2013, 11:56:00 AM
Conditioning wise Galway are probably still a little behind the top sides so more work needed there.

There's no little about it, the superior physicality of Cork (allied to a much better bench) in the last ten minutes really told, they won about 6 breaks from kickouts in a row during that period, hitting 1-3 without reply in the process, that was the difference. I think we would have held out for the win if Cork didn't raise a green flag but let's be honest, the Galway goal was leading a charmed life for most of the match.

Conroy has turned into the leader on that Galway team, excellent again yesterday. Meehan, well for a man that shouldn't be playing at all he was hands down the best forward on show, pure class and his goal, while immaterial to the result was an astounding effort. Cummins was a big loss, was showing very well for the ball prior to his injury. Galway are still not cynical and physically strong enough at the moment though, Cork were by far the more powerful team when the bodies were tiring. A lot of work needed in defence but I thought that there was good games from Hanley and O'Neill back there. Lacking a top class CHB big time although that's been the case for many years.
Something there to build on for 2014 but there is still a very long way to go and lots to improve. one good thing is that Meehan and Hanley aside all the players that Galway will be looking to build around are on the upward curve of their inter county careers, I really hope that they can make a big step up next year.
Proud of the effort and performance of Galway against a better, more seasoned squad of Cork players, they didn't leave anything after them and although this was another one point loss in the championship, it was in far different circumstances to the likes of the Antrim defeat last year, the players were obviously gutted at the full time whistle but all those men in the jerseys want to be out there for Galway and it was great to see the Galway support around the Cusack tunnel entrance clap them off the pitch, well deserved. Big turnaround from May 19th for Mulholland as well, job will still be his if he wants it I'd say.

As for Cork, I'll be very surprised if they beat the Dubs based on where they are at the minute, Colm O'Neill is a huge loss and if a fairly moderate Galway outfit can push them as much as that you'd have to fancy Dublin to win the q-final.

I agree with a lot of that. Galway certainly restored some pride last night after the huge disappointment of May.
We are 100%  a confidence team, and hopefully this performance will bring on the young lads.

As an aside we always use conditioning as an excuse in Galway. We consistently appear to be about a year behind other teams in this regard for what seems the last ten years.

ONeill

That was some run by the Galway keeper. Was he well over the half way line?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ONeill on July 28, 2013, 09:05:33 PM
That was some run by the Galway keeper. Was he well over the half way line?

Think he was. Mad stuff alright. Obviously a Shane Curran fan.