Kildare V Tyrone QR3 20/07/13

Started by God14, July 15, 2013, 08:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2013, 02:46:19 PM
Always some real manure spread about McGeeney and Kildare. He's easily top five in terms of the best active managers in the country right now.

in your opinion. Its not necessarily manure because you dont share the same opinion as others . Historically Kildare havent won much. For the last while they have been on the cusp of making a breakthrough, as yet, this hasnt happened bar the Leinster. Do they have the personnel but not the right manager, or do they have the right manager working wonders with a decent enough squad? Kildare are a team very very few counties would want drawn against. You only have to listen to the Tymoanies wishing they had drawn Derry / Cavan ;-). There are more questions than answers

orangeman

Quote from: J OGorman on July 17, 2013, 02:58:02 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2013, 02:46:19 PM
Always some real manure spread about McGeeney and Kildare. He's easily top five in terms of the best active managers in the country right now.

in your opinion. Its not necessarily manure because you dont share the same opinion as others . Historically Kildare havent won much. For the last while they have been on the cusp of making a breakthrough, as yet, this hasnt happened bar the Leinster. Do they have the personnel but not the right manager, or do they have the right manager working wonders with a decent enough squad? Kildare are a team very very few counties would want drawn against. You only have to listen to the Tymoanies wishing they had drawn Derry / Cavan ;-). There are more questions than answers

They're secretly delighted that they didn't draw Cavan or Armagh cos if Kildare bet them then, it's just a long spin home and they won't feel as bad as if they got bet again a Derry or Armagh.

Fuzzman

Can't believe we're on page 7 already and not much actual match talk. Even the Ulster final thread is still only 6 pages.

At the start of the year most people would have had these 2 counties in the chasing group after the 4 expected provincial winners and maybe Cork too. Sorry London & Monaghan.
Cork hammered Kildare last year and could have done the same again had they met this year or they still could I suppose.
Meath with fancy their chances of progressing now to a 1/4 final as they will play either a team playing their 2nd or 3rd match in consecutive weekends.

Any more news on the Tyrone injury front?
I would like to Coney get a start and bring on Stevie in the second half.
I'd also like to see Penrose play much closer to goal and get back to being a score taker and not another sweeper style player.

Muzz

Any of the Tyrone ones heading down on Saturday evening fancy 3 season tickets?  It gets you €5 off so admission is €10.  PM me

phpearse

I think the match is irrelevant in the 'who wins the All Ireland' scheme of things but it should still be a decent game of football. Both teams you would image are slightly off the pace of the leading contenders but both teams will lift their game for what is a traditional winners takes all match. Before the Donegal game I didn't think there was much difference between Tyrone 2012 and Tyrone 2013. Despite a good league I don't see Tyrone being any better this year and the potential to get a scalping at some stage this year could happen.

Same could be said for Kildare as well I suppose. They have already taken a pasting against Dublin so they will know they are off the All Ireland pace. Really for both teams it will be about progressing as far as possible without really threatening the bigger sides.

The meetings over the previous years suggest a very tight competitive game. Tyrone have performed better on the road to the game at Newbridge will not worry them too much. If Tyrone can get moving early on I think they will have enough to get Kildare but I wouldn't be surprised if Kildare were to win.

I'm sure the atmosphere will be great. Big crowd, weather looks set to be fine, should be good.

Syferus

Quote from: phpearse on July 17, 2013, 05:54:12 PM
I think the match is irrelevant in the 'who wins the All Ireland' scheme of things but it should still be a decent game of football. Both teams you would image are slightly off the pace of the leading contenders but both teams will lift their game for what is a traditional winners takes all match. Before the Donegal game I didn't think there was much difference between Tyrone 2012 and Tyrone 2013. Despite a good league I don't see Tyrone being any better this year and the potential to get a scalping at some stage this year could happen.

Same could be said for Kildare as well I suppose. They have already taken a pasting against Dublin so they will know they are off the All Ireland pace. Really for both teams it will be about progressing as far as possible without really threatening the bigger sides.

The meetings over the previous years suggest a very tight competitive game. Tyrone have performed better on the road to the game at Newbridge will not worry them too much. If Tyrone can get moving early on I think they will have enough to get Kildare but I wouldn't be surprised if Kildare were to win.

I'm sure the atmosphere will be great. Big crowd, weather looks set to be fine, should be good.

Best dig of the year.

Go home ref

Obviously the people tipping Kildare to win this haven't watched us much this year at all. We were an absolute disgrace against Dublin and beat a poor enough Louth team in the last 15 minutes. The idea that McGeeney is a great tactician is nonsense we went out against Dublin with no defensive plan at all and were obviously destroyed. This has all the hallmarks of another tight defeat for Kildare it must be 10 years since we have beaten a proper team in championship football and I expect that to continue after Saturday. Tyrone by 3

ONeill

Obviously the people tipping Tyrone to win this haven't watched us much this year at all. We were an absolute disgrace against Roscommon and beat a poor enough Offaly team in the last 70 minutes. The idea that Harte is a great dietician is nonsense we went out against Donegal with no strawberry flan at all and were obviously hungry. This has all the hallmarks of another tight defeat for Tyrone. It must be 5 years since we have beaten a proper team in championship football and I expect that to continue after Saturday. Kildare by 3
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Go home ref on July 17, 2013, 07:36:40 PM
Obviously the people tipping Kildare to win this haven't watched us much this year at all. We were an absolute disgrace against Dublin and beat a poor enough Louth team in the last 15 minutes. The idea that McGeeney is a great tactician is nonsense we went out against Dublin with no defensive plan at all and were obviously destroyed. This has all the hallmarks of another tight defeat for Kildare it must be 10 years since we have beaten a proper team in championship football and I expect that to continue after Saturday. Tyrone by 3

My issue with McGeeney would be the complete lack of any sort of consistency in his team selections. You could name eleven or twelve players on the Donegal, Kerry, Dublin and Mayo teams who are more or less nailed on starters in a particular position. That's not the case with Kildare and hasn't been that way for a long while. Now you could argue that Kildare don't have the same quality of player at their disposal and that's accurate up to a point but the amount of chopping and changing clearly contributes to how disjointed we can look against better teams.

Take last Saturday for example. Cribbin was probably Kildare's best player in the Offaly and Dublin matches as a half forward. Against Louth he starts in the half back line and is hauled off before half time. Mikey Conway is the fall guy for the league defeat to Dublin and doesn't feature for months and all of a sudden is recalled for the qualifiers. This is a common theme under McGeeney. O'Connor starts one week with the whole gameplan seemingly built around him and then doesn't feature at all the next week. The O'Flahertys and Callaghan could line out in any jersey between 5 and 12.  Mick Foley often doesn't know whether he's coming or going between full back and midfield. The messing around with the goalkeeping position this year hasn't helped either.

For Kildare to get anywhere we need to start developing some sort of settled spine to our team. I'm unsure whether we'll ever get that under McGeeney.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Rossfan

As a team in transition maybe he's simply using this year to experiment a lot more ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Aaron Boone

Quote from: ONeill on July 17, 2013, 09:41:29 PM
Obviously the people tipping Tyrone to win this haven't watched us much this year at all. We were an absolute disgrace against Roscommon and beat a poor enough Offaly team in the last 70 minutes. The idea that Harte is a great dietician is nonsense we went out against Donegal with no strawberry flan at all and were obviously hungry. This has all the hallmarks of another tight defeat for Tyrone. It must be 5 years since we have beaten a proper team in championship football and I expect that to continue after Saturday. Kildare by 3

Very good.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Rossfan on July 17, 2013, 09:53:11 PM
As a team in transition maybe he's simply using this year to experiment a lot more ?

This has been the case for a number of years now. Kildare haven't had a settled midfield pairing since Dermot first got injured over three years ago!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Redhand Santa

It's time for our younger players to stand up and show that they can cut in a big championship game. It would be great if the likes of Harte, Mattie Donnelly, Clarke, McAliskey, McCurry and Coney could put on a performance at this level. I'd be very tempted to start Coney. He's been talked about for 5 years and injury has damaged his chances but maybe now is his time to deliver.

This is a big game for Harte. We didn't make the quarters last year and a lot of the new players have yet to really prove it in the championship. We had a very promising league and hopefully this can be turned into championship form. Disappointing more Tyrone people aren't making the journey to give the team a bit of support. Its might be 2 or 3 hours down the road but it could be the last game until next January and its game like this its good to have support behind the team.

galwayman

Is Ronan O Neill anywhere near getting a start on the Tyrone team?
I remember seeing him play for the Tyrone minors twice a few years ago and thinking he had a big future.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: galwayman on July 17, 2013, 11:20:32 PM
Is Ronan O Neill anywhere near getting a start on the Tyrone team?
I remember seeing him play for the Tyrone minors twice a few years ago and thinking he had a big future.

Not long back from a cruciate injury, and restricted so far to substitute appearances.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...