Kildare V Tyrone QR3 20/07/13

Started by God14, July 15, 2013, 08:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 17, 2013, 11:59:31 PM
Quote from: galwayman on July 17, 2013, 11:20:32 PM
Is Ronan O Neill anywhere near getting a start on the Tyrone team?
I remember seeing him play for the Tyrone minors twice a few years ago and thinking he had a big future.

Not long back from a cruciate injury, and restricted so far to substitute appearances.

Also having recurring hamstring problems this year and hasn't had a clear run of a couple of months injury free.

ONeill

Team named tonight.

O'Neill might be named. Other than that hard to envisage many other changes.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

LilySavage

As a team in transition maybe he's simply using this year to experiment a lot more ?
[/quote]

Been wondering about this myself.But surely he'd haredly right off his 6th year when it could be his last.. The inconsistency in selection is never a good sign. For example, I dont know who the Kildare fullback or centre back will be this wekend. He should have kept Micjk Foley at fullback where he has always been solid and where he won an allstar. last week he wasnt in the team. We obviously have a huge gap at centre back but he hasnt filled it. This was evident for the whole of last year and still we havent found a solution. An obvious ploy would have been to play a sweeper in MOF or Callaghan at 10 to try and shore up the centre but that wasnt tried.
Anyway I think Kildare have a chance if we get on top at midfield and theres a good chance of that happening against Tyrone. Daryl Flynn is getting back to his best and P ONeill played well last week. Hurley on the bench too. Then its about taking our chances and restricticng Tyrone. Should be a good atmosphere at this. most Kildare fans know its likely to be our last day out and a win would be warmly received!

God14

Doom & gloom has fairly set in amongst Tyrone support. All that new year & early spring promise has completely eroded into a faint memory. The manner of the defeat to Donegal really has knocked the stuffing out of us. Huge psychological blow that. The supporters havnt recovered yet and we wont find out if the players have until about 8:30 Sat evening.

Great opportunity for McGeeney & Kildare here. And the 7/4 on offer for the home side must be tempting.

ONeill

How crucial will an early exit be to either manager's tenures?

I'm not thinking of being told to go but maybe realising they've run their course. Unlucky they're pitted now as I think both are worthy quarter-finalists (though nothing more).

squire_in_navy_slacks

Any reappearances of the beards tyrone buckos ???? Those bloody things worked a treat

God14

Not so sure about McGeeney, however Harte can reflect on a mixed bag as Tyrone's season draws to a close at some stage in the next 3 weeks. High volume of player turnover in this past couple of seasons with significant new blood. Also Tyrone have never been fitter or better physically equipped (albeit still behind Donegal)
On the negatives - he has failed to find a target man and / or play maker. Our attack has been largely powder puff, relevant to the resources at his disposal. Tactically - he has over persisted with the short ball game.

ONeill

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 18, 2013, 11:49:48 AM
Any reappearances of the beards tyrone buckos ???? Those bloody things worked a treat

Some of these lads are still on the bumfluff.

Go home ref

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 17, 2013, 09:47:55 PM
Quote from: Go home ref on July 17, 2013, 07:36:40 PM
Obviously the people tipping Kildare to win this haven't watched us much this year at all. We were an absolute disgrace against Dublin and beat a poor enough Louth team in the last 15 minutes. The idea that McGeeney is a great tactician is nonsense we went out against Dublin with no defensive plan at all and were obviously destroyed. This has all the hallmarks of another tight defeat for Kildare it must be 10 years since we have beaten a proper team in championship football and I expect that to continue after Saturday. Tyrone by 3

My issue with McGeeney would be the complete lack of any sort of consistency in his team selections. You could name eleven or twelve players on the Donegal, Kerry, Dublin and Mayo teams who are more or less nailed on starters in a particular position. That's not the case with Kildare and hasn't been that way for a long while. Now you could argue that Kildare don't have the same quality of player at their disposal and that's accurate up to a point but the amount of chopping and changing clearly contributes to how disjointed we can look against better teams.

Take last Saturday for example. Cribbin was probably Kildare's best player in the Offaly and Dublin matches as a half forward. Against Louth he starts in the half back line and is hauled off before half time. Mikey Conway is the fall guy for the league defeat to Dublin and doesn't feature for months and all of a sudden is recalled for the qualifiers. This is a common theme under McGeeney. O'Connor starts one week with the whole gameplan seemingly built around him and then doesn't feature at all the next week. The O'Flahertys and Callaghan could line out in any jersey between 5 and 12.  Mick Foley often doesn't know whether he's coming or going between full back and midfield. The messing around with the goalkeeping position this year hasn't helped either.

For Kildare to get anywhere we need to start developing some sort of settled spine to our team. I'm unsure whether we'll ever get that under McGeeney.

Indeed there is no consistency at all also where were they trying to play Daniel Flynn last week? At times it looked like he was in the half back line mind you id have leper in for Conway all day long

Redhand Santa

Quote from: God14 on July 18, 2013, 11:51:07 AM
Not so sure about McGeeney, however Harte can reflect on a mixed bag as Tyrone's season draws to a close at some stage in the next 3 weeks. High volume of player turnover in this past couple of seasons with significant new blood. Also Tyrone have never been fitter or better physically equipped (albeit still behind Donegal)
On the negatives - he has failed to find a target man and / or play maker. Our attack has been largely powder puff, relevant to the resources at his disposal. Tactically - he has over persisted with the short ball game.

Bit early with the end of season review. I'm hopeful Tyrone can rediscover there early season form this Saturday. It looks as if we've a relatively injury free panel to choose from for the first time in a few years (except Morgan obviously) at this time of year. Hoping for a big performance which will get us through a very difficult fixture and leave the confidence high for the weeks ahead.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Tyrone SF team v Kildare AIQ Round 3

Comórtas: Craobh na Sinnsear
Cluiche: Tír Eoghain v Cill Dara
Ionad: An Droichead Nua
Dáta: 20-07-13

1 Pascal McConnell An Baile Nua
2 Aidan McCrory Aireagal Chiaráin
3 Conor Clarke An Omaigh
4 Cathal McCarron An Droim Mór
5 Ryan McKenna Eaglais
6 Peter Harte Aireagal Chiaráin
7 Conor Gormley An Charraig Mhór
8 Colm Cavanagh An Mhaigh
9 Sean Cavanagh An Mhaigh
10 Matthew Donnelly Trí Leac
11 Mark Donnelly An Charraig Mhór
12 Joe McMahon An Omaigh
13 Darren McCurry Éadan na dTorc
14 Stephen O'Neill Clann na nGael
15 Martin Penrose An Charraig Mhór

16 Michael O'Neill Cluain Eo
17 Dermot Carlin Coill an Chlochair
18 Aidan Cassidy Eochar
19 Kyle Coney Ard Bó
20 Conan Grugan An Omaigh
21 Plunkett Kane Oileán a'Ghuail
22 Johnathan Lafferty Urnaí
23 Connor McAliskey Cluain Eo
24 Danny McBride An Srath Ban
25 Tiernan McCann Coill an Chlochair
26 Justin McMahon An Omaigh

Stevie leading the line.  :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

CK_Redhand

Strong lineup although I'm surprised at mcaliskey being dropped. More of a threat than penrose imo. Should be good enough to beat the lilly whiltes  :)

Zulu

Kildare Starting 15 is:

1.   Shane Connolly

2.   David Hyland

3.   Peter Kelly

4.   Hugh McGrillen

5.   Eamonn Callaghan (Capt.)

6.   Morgan O'Flaherty

7.   Emmet Bolton

8.   Daryl Flynn

9.   Padraig O'Neill

10.   Daniel Flynn

11.   Niall Kelly

12.   Eoghan O'Flaherty

13.   John Doyle

14.   Tomás O'Connor

15.   Paddy Brophy

ONeill

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: CK_Redhand on July 18, 2013, 08:58:07 PM
Strong lineup although I'm surprised at mcaliskey being dropped. More of a threat than penrose imo. Should be good enough to beat the lilly whiltes  :)

Who are the lilly whiltes?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?