Kerry v Cork, Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney, 7th of July 2013, MSFC Final

Started by CorkMan, July 01, 2013, 04:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkMan

This thread could have been started when the draw was made back in November, it was such a foregone conclusion that these two would end up in the final. Not sure which way it's going to go. League form was very hit and miss for both teams and you can't really base a prediction on the previous two games as any of the teams they played weren't up to much. Hopefully Cork will win, but the fact that it's in Killarney swings it in Kerry's favour, for me.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

They don't pay much attention to us "lesser counties" on here CM, hence scarcely a mention of what will be by far the highest quality provincial final....

Mahony is a big loss for us..Griffin is a grand player but it would be his biggest game by far to date and even players of the calibre of Tomás have found the going tough in your first Kerry v Cork battle in Killarney.

Really looking forward to it..sun shining, Scotts, MacSweeney's, Laurels..all jammed to the gills..and then of course the short walk up Lewis road to our own cathedral of football where a I would imagine a capacity crowd will gather..wouldn't rather be anywhere else in the world..

"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: armaghniac on July 01, 2013, 07:22:50 PM
Will Mike Sheehy be coming from America for this one?

I will let Paul Grimley know my plans. I'm sure he will let you know through the usual channels
http://balls.ie/gaa/paul-grimley-statement

Captain Obvious

yellowcard

Kerry and Cork combined are probably as low key as they have been for about 15 years. Cork in particular have been very quiet this year but we will know a lot more about either sides AI chances after Sunday. I suspect the loser of this match will have too big a task to win an AI this year given the strength of the other provincial winners so its a huge match. The fact that its in Killarney would sway me towards Kerry.

CorkMan

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 01, 2013, 06:34:50 PM
They don't pay much attention to us "lesser counties" on here CM, hence scarcely a mention of what will be by far the highest quality provincial final....

Ah now, hardly better than London and Mayo....  ;D

Syferus

Quote from: CorkMan on July 01, 2013, 10:34:32 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 01, 2013, 06:34:50 PM

Ah now, hardly better than London and Mayo....  ;D

Don't let the battle to win the fourth best province in the country to to your heads, lads.

CorkMan

Not the most competitive province but it has two of the best teams in the country competing in it.

Syferus

Quote from: CorkMan on July 01, 2013, 11:12:15 PM
Not the most competitive province but it has two of the best teams in the country competing in it.

If the 'ould calender said 2011 I might have agreed.

Only Cork of these two have a realistic shot at winning the AI and even then it'll take the performance of all performances to see off Dublin in a semi-final.

CorkMan

Still, that leaves them in the top 4. Writing off Kerry is the rock many a team has perished on.

Syferus

Quote from: CorkMan on July 01, 2013, 11:34:54 PM
Still, that leaves them in the top 4. Writing off Kerry is the rock many a team has perished on.

I'd have Kerry #6 right now and there's a few borderline teams that could catch them on their days. I think Tyrone would use Kerry as rag dolls this year (partly because last year would have hurt so much) and a confident Kildare would out-last them too.

And Down? Jesus. We don't need to touch that one.

Just don't see the point in Fitzmaurice giving his mates one last swing of the dice when we all know it's going to come to naught.

CorkMan

Kerry are a team that deserves respect. Their backline is not the greatest, but their forward line is still one of the best in the country. #6 seems about right (Donegal, Dublin, Cork, Mayo and Tyrone above them, if your thinking the same way I am) but, just as you say many of the 'borderline' teams could catch Kerry on their days, Kerry could also catch many of the teams above them on THEIR day.

Also, please don't think I'm a Kerry supporter or that I wouldn't love anything more than to see them out of the championship in round 4 of the qualifiers, I'm just being realistic.