Kerry v Cork, Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney, 7th of July 2013, MSFC Final

Started by CorkMan, July 01, 2013, 04:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: CorkMan on July 01, 2013, 10:32:48 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 01, 2013, 09:47:25 PM
Corks last win against Kerry in Killarney ?

Never happened, I think.

Quote from: Syferus on July 01, 2013, 11:39:12 PM
I think Tyrone would use Kerry as rag dolls this year (partly because last year would have hurt so much) and a confident Kildare would out-last them too.

You're having a laugh.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Syferus

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 01, 2013, 11:47:20 PM

Never happened, I think.

I think Tyrone would use Kerry as rag dolls this year (partly because last year would have hurt so much) and a confident Kildare would out-last them too.

You're having a laugh.

I don't think you realise how easily Kerry get gassed in close games these days. Kildare keep it tight for 55 minutes and I think there would be only possible one winner. You're still only fighting over being the 6th best team in the country, after all.

Syferus

Quote from: CorkMan on July 01, 2013, 11:45:54 PM
Kerry are a team that deserves respect. Their backline is not the greatest, but their forward line is still one of the best in the country. #6 seems about right (Donegal, Dublin, Cork, Mayo and Tyrone above them, if your thinking the same way I am) but, just as you say many of the 'borderline' teams could catch Kerry on their days, Kerry could also catch many of the teams above them on THEIR day.

Also, please don't think I'm a Kerry supporter or that I wouldn't love anything more than to see them out of the championship in round 4 of the qualifiers, I'm just being realistic.

I have huge respect for the players they have, they formed probably the second best group of players I've seen in my lifetime. Plenty of those names are already etched into folklore.

It's a very tough situation for Fitzmaurice to be in - the ruthless thing to do is to take a mulligan this year and blood the next generation of players in place of people like the O'Ses, Galvin, Brosnan, Donaughy and O'Mahony (I know he's injured) in the hopes of those new players eventually being ready to challenge for All-Irelands in a few years' time. You'd be basically telling those Kerry greats their careers as starters are over and pointing a neon sign towards the exit door.

And that brings with it a lot of scope for bruised egos and a toxic atmosphere in the county so it's no sure bet.

Obviously it's partly the younger players' fault too for not being of good enough quality to remove players lurching towards their mid-thirties from the starting line-up but Kerry look stuck in what for them is a nothing position, better than most but not good enough to win an All-Ireland.

Fitzmaurice has basically gave the old stagers this year as a sort of retirement gift - closed doors, black smoke, feeding off perceived slights, one last big push. I assume he's going to start the true rebuilding process next year when more of the golden generation call it quits or fade into the background but I think the most interesting thing about Kerry this year is watching how Fitzmaurice is coping with the first real transitional period in Kerry in a decade or more.

Captain Obvious

Dublin,Donegal are the sides that knocked Kerry out the last two years and they are the only sides i could see beating Kerry this year.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 02, 2013, 12:17:07 AM
Dublin,Donegal are the sides that beat Kerry the last two years and they are the only sides i could see beating Kerry this year.

Mayo would wring the life out of them. Probably even in a hypothetical All-Ireland final.

I can't believe I'm saying that and it's actually true. Pigs flying high this year. Very high.

CorkMan

Dublin,Donegal are the sides that knocked Kerry out the last two years and they are the only sides i could see beating Kerry this year.

Mayo and Tyrone would beat them. Cork would if it wasn't for the fact that the Munster Final is in Killarney. This year could even be the year Cork would beat Kerry in Croke Park, they probably won't play in Croke Park but Cork are better than them, it's just the Killarney factor that makes me think Kerry will win Sunday.

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on July 01, 2013, 11:58:31 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 01, 2013, 11:47:20 PM

Never happened, I think.

You're having a laugh.

I don't think you realise how easily Kerry get gassed in close games these days. Kildare keep it tight for 55 minutes and I think there would be only possible one winner. You're still only fighting over being the 6th best team in the country, after all.

What evidence do you have to support this statement? There is nothing to suggest either Kildare or Tyrone would beat Kerry, both might, but you'd have to have Kerry above them as of now.

While Kerry have aged and they could, like Kilkenny hurlers, look very ordinary very quickly, they don't have Kilkenny's injury problems and have a forward line bettered only by Dublin. We all know they are fading but I doubt anyone will take them for a soft touch.

Anyway Syferus, if you have the courage of your convictions could be a very wealthy man come summers end. If Kildare or Tyrone meet Kerry you'd get a decent price on both so lump on all you have, perhaps even at -4 or -5 if Tyrone and enjoy taking the bookies big.

omagh_gael

Kerry have to be considered above or at least equal to Tyrone in the AI stakes following last years game.

CorkMan

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 02, 2013, 12:28:55 PM
Kerry have to be considered above or at least equal to Tyrone in the AI stakes following last years game.

Tyrone seem to have got better this year than they were last year, imo anyway.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2013, 12:18:51 AM
Dublin,Donegal are the sides that beat Kerry the last two years and they are the only sides i could see beating Kerry this year.

Mayo would wring the life out of them. Probably even in a hypothetical All-Ireland final.

I can't believe I'm saying that and it's actually true. Pigs flying high this year. Very high.

I think you are reading too much into Mayo ripping Roscommon a new one. Your lot have been everybodies whipping boys for a long time. No disrespect to London but the standard in Connacht is a joke if London can reach the provincial final.

Rossfan

Quote from: Zulu on July 02, 2013, 09:26:35 AM
Anyway Syferus, if you have the courage of your convictions could be a very wealthy man come summers end. If Kildare or Tyrone meet Kerry you'd get a decent price on both so lump on all you have, perhaps even at -4 or -5 if Tyrone and enjoy taking the bookies big.

You have to be 18 to bet haven't you?
That rules out little Syfínín. ;D ;D
And don't be too hard on him over his dismissal of Kerry sure he's not ould enough to remember them winning Sam in 09, not to mind all their earlier ones.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

Arra come on. I can live with the proliferation of Connachtese diminutives with yer Syfíns and maneens and ladeens leppin about in every Connacht sentence typed here. But the "ínín" double miniature is tearing the arse out of it.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Rossfan

Quote from: Hardy on July 02, 2013, 02:02:41 PM
Arra come on. I can live with the proliferation of Connachtese diminutives with yer Syfíns and maneens and ladeens leppin about in every Connacht sentence typed here. But the "ínín" double miniature is tearing the arse out of it.

That was jusht to emphasise what a small little young buickínín he is. :-*
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM