Donegal v Down Ulster Semi June 23

Started by J70, June 03, 2013, 02:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitnail

Teams get their chances during games.
I think it was Donnely who went for a point instead of a goal for Tyrone in the 1st round. There were also a few point chances  that Tyrone seemed ro refuse  in that game  and the window suddenly closed.

Teams like Cork & Kerry took very difficult angled shots last year but they missed alot of  very scorable points as well. Teams just seem to panic around the 20-30 yd line and run into tackles.
Maybe it's psychological maybe it's the intensity.
I  do think our defence makes mistakes like any other back line it's just that the opposition never really capitalize.

I agree with the myth synopsis and also Bluestack's point about it being in the oppositions heads making it easier. Fuzzy made some good points also and would have to agree with him that defensively Jim's approach has often been cynical but, alot of that was born out of being a nice little team  for years who would rather let the oppositions dance there way through defence than foul them i guess.

Around match weeks I often hear young lads in the pubs , chipper shops etc talk about the defence being 'impenetrable'. It's good but it's not that!
I remember when Ireland went to the Euros the same young lads would be saying that about the Irish defence and Dunne and Given etc etc but that myth was quickly exposed as a bit of an over hype.

Donegal do loose possession going forward alot and once a team learn to capitalise ruthlessly on that, it's where alot of the points are.

Imo the best equipped teams to do that atm are Dublin Cork & Mayo . Tyrone gave it a good go but  maybe year too early.

Brolly is ironically helping distribute the myth somewhat in his articles!!

thewobbler

Sooner or later, Donegal will enter the final third of a match a couple of points behind, and they will have to chase the game instead of controlling it. That's when we'll find out just how good they are. I hope it's against Down!

RMDrive

Quote from: thewobbler on June 07, 2013, 07:57:18 AM
Sooner or later, Donegal will enter the final third of a match a couple of points behind, and they will have to chase the game instead of controlling it. That's when we'll find out just how good they are. I hope it's against Down!

This is another myth about Donegal. That they've never had to chase down a lead. Against Kildare ... against Tyrone ... ?
Now I'll admit that it hasn't happened that often but there's this perception out there that the lads will be turning in confusion to the sideline looking for instructions on what to do if we are behind. They'll keep doing what they always do.
And I'd suggest we've already found out how good Donegal are. Plenty of teams have had to chance to make us chase a lead - not our fault that so far few have been able to do it.

There's certainly an awful lot of shite talked about Donegal and the "system". I genuinely shudder to think of the stuff that will be written when we are beaten. All the same media people who are fuelling the current myths will rip us to shreds. Is it just an Irish thing I wonder? When a team wins, the importance of the win is exaggerated completed, when they lose, the criticism is way over the top.

thewobbler

Quote from: RMDrive on June 07, 2013, 08:26:06 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 07, 2013, 07:57:18 AM

This is another myth about Donegal. That they've never had to chase down a lead. Against Kildare ... against Tyrone ... ?
Now I'll admit that it hasn't happened that often but there's this perception out there that the lads will be turning in confusion to the sideline looking for instructions on what to do if we are behind. They'll keep doing what they always do.
And I'd suggest we've already found out how good Donegal are. Plenty of teams have had to chance to make us chase a lead - not our fault that so far few have been able to do it.

There's certainly an awful lot of shite talked about Donegal and the "system". I genuinely shudder to think of the stuff that will be written when we are beaten. All the same media people who are fuelling the current myths will rip us to shreds. Is it just an Irish thing I wonder? When a team wins, the importance of the win is exaggerated completed, when they lose, the criticism is way over the top.

RM, I'm not suggesting that the players will be confused and looking for instructions from the sideline. But there has been a pattern in Donegal's play over the past few years that they finish games strongly due to a structured way of playing; once they get a few points ahead after half time, it's about picking teams off on the counter attack as their opponents begin to throw numbers forward.

It is human instinct to push forward when chasing a lead, and what'll be interesting is whether Donegal are disciplined enough to control these instincts, or go hell for leather. They've not thrown caution to the wind since McGuinness came in charge, as they've not had to.

While you might consider an awful lot of shite being talked about their system, there is undeniably a system in place, and one that is probably as finely tuned as we've seen in Gaelic Games. I've no doubt that McGuinness and Gallagher have a Plan B, and that it has been worked on in training and in lectures. But we've yet to see it in Championship football.

Aristo 60

My sources say Breffni Park is confirmed venue.

armaghniac

QuoteMy sources say Breffni Park is confirmed venue.

This does not seem sensible, many punters would be heading through Clones to get to Cavan!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BluestackBoy

Quote from: armaghniac on June 07, 2013, 03:43:41 PM
QuoteMy sources say Breffni Park is confirmed venue.

This does not seem sensible, many punters would be heading through Clones to get to Cavan!

Any Donegal or Down men going through Clones to get to Cavan would need to update the old satnav maps as Clones is north east of Cavan ;D ;D ;D
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Dubh driocht

BSB, You should get the money back on your satnav. Any Downman north of Castlewellan will be going through Armagh,Monaghan, Clones to get to Cavan. Furthest Ulster venue for most of us and it's supposed to be neutral. Great town all the same.

armaghniac

QuoteBSB, You should get the money back on your satnav. Any Downman north of Castlewellan will be going through Armagh,Monaghan, Clones to get to Cavan. Furthest Ulster venue for most of us and it's supposed to be neutral. Great town all the same.

I expect BluestackBoy doesn't get out much.
All of Down is North-East Of Cavan and persons from Inishowen/ N Donegal might well go via Monaghan and Clones.

In fairness Cavan is pretty neutral, it isn't near anywhere! 

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BluestackBoy

I stand hugely corrected ::) ::) ::)

Having seen the responses to my post I dug an atlas out & couldn't believe how much Ireland has changed over the years!!!!!!!!

Put it down to the ramblings of an old man whose mind is slowly but surely slipping away :-[ :-[ :-[
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Jinxy

Quote from: armaghniac on June 07, 2013, 08:04:50 PM
QuoteBSB, You should get the money back on your satnav. Any Downman north of Castlewellan will be going through Armagh,Monaghan, Clones to get to Cavan. Furthest Ulster venue for most of us and it's supposed to be neutral. Great town all the same.

I expect BluestackBoy doesn't get out much.
All of Down is North-East Of Cavan and persons from Inishowen/ N Donegal might well go via Monaghan and Clones.

In fairness Cavan is pretty neutral, it isn't near anywhere!

It's too near us.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

J70

Apparently Lacey had minor knee surgery on Thursday and is doubtful for this game.

RMDrive

Quote from: J70 on June 09, 2013, 02:16:15 PM
Apparently Lacey had minor knee surgery on Thursday and is doubtful for this game.

I think it's pretty much confirmed that he will not play.

Aristo 60

donegal lad

Quote from: RMDrive on June 09, 2013, 03:09:06 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 09, 2013, 02:16:15 PM

I think it's pretty much confirmed that he will not play.
It's not confirmed but he's a big doubt. Will mean young Declan walsh will get another start in the championship. Declan is a very capable defender and will be able to do the job jim asks of him