Donegal v Down Ulster Semi June 23

Started by J70, June 03, 2013, 02:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

The Big problem for Down is that they lost 2-18 to 0-13 to Donegal and 3-18 to 2-09 to Mayo last year. They lost 2-20 - 0-14 to Cork in 2011. They are big hits from what the media consider to be the big hitters. Down are a good side, they have been playing Division 1 for the last couple of years. But they have taken some beatings in Championship in the last two years. This has to play on the mind once again when they play Donegal.

thewobbler

Quote from: Main Street on June 04, 2013, 11:38:13 AM
Donegal have a pattern of destroying teams in the last 1/4 of the game.
If Down can stay in the game for 50 minutes and then score 4 quick goals, possibly they have a chance.
Nevertheless, I'll be rooting for the underdog to pull off some (ol' time aristocratic) magic in this game.

Donegal do this because once they get their noses in front, they pick teams off on the counter attack. It's pre-ordained, it's disciplined and it's very clever.

Given that they've got the edge in terms of personnel, I'd guess the only way for Down to beat Donegal is through tactical superiority, and to rigidly play our own defensive formation (even if five points down) and draw them out of their own shape. Almost the antithesis of the way football is traditionally played in Down.

Beyond that, it's a case of never, ever carry the ball into a tackle unless moving at a pace whereby any contact is going to see you tumbling into a heap,  drawing a foul, and potentially a card.

PAULD123

Quote from: thewobbler on June 04, 2013, 10:12:53 PM
...Beyond that, it's a case of never, ever carry the ball into a tackle unless moving at a pace whereby any contact is going to see you tumbling into a heap,  drawing a foul, and potentially a card....

Couldn't agree more with this. The ball should be run in and off-loaded just before the contact. That way a pass is delivered to a player running onto the ball and past the defender who has just committed to the passer. Pass too early and you do not give the receiver any room to run into, pass to late and you are surrounded.

Of course the referee has to take responsibility for awarding frees when a passer is taken out after off-loading. Donegal copped on that referees didn't care what happened after a pass and have systematically taken guys out , but I think there had been a lot of media hype and it isn't so easy any more. There was a lot of it from both Donegal and Tyrone in their game, probably even more so from Tyrone. With the coming advantage rule change, there will be a change as referees call play back for fouls of this nature when the receiver is surrounded and gets nowhere.

Having said that Donegal are also superb at clean tackling, I wouldn't want to be perceived as denigrating their fantastic defensive skills and commitment.

ONeill

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 04, 2013, 03:17:06 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 04, 2013, 12:37:55 AM
Donegal 4-29
Down 0-5

(HT 1-6 to 0-5)

So your theory is that you lost to Donegal by six points, so automatically we must lose by way more! Because of course Tyrone are so far ahead of Down that there is no chance that we could actually get anywhere near to losing by as little as you did. That's a pretty arrogant position and it really does you no favours.

There is little merit in trying to denigrate other teams when your own team has just taken a lesson. O'Neill better you maybe just keep your head down and lick your wounds instead of trying to be a smart ass. It just makes you look childish

I enjoyed that.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on June 04, 2013, 04:04:17 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on June 04, 2013, 04:01:04 PM
23rd Jun 2013
  14:00   Donegal v Down     

1/6   

10/1   

5/1     

there ye go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feck ye seafood ye beat me to it!!!!!!!!!

DUBLIN ARE 1/4!
Dublin are probably 10 to 1 in Naas with Kildare 1/20 .

;D

#newbridgeornowhere

BluestackBoy

5/1 against Down in a two horse race are ridiculous odds :o :o :o
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

orangeman

Quote from: BluestackBoy on June 05, 2013, 08:54:44 AM
5/1 against Down in a two horse race are ridiculous odds :o :o :o

I thought that last year and look what happened.

supersub

Aristo 60

supersub

Yeah, 3 grand at 1/6 is a bargain  ;)

Only messing, yeah I think they will turn them over (and that being a main tactic too)!

Aristo 60

If we ignore Donegal's current form compared with their form last year (which we probably can't) I suppose the question is do we think Down are stronger this year than last?

What would be the reason for them being stronger?

1) Monya/improved fitness ?
2) Defence tightened ?
3) More experience playing against Donegal ?
4) Players like O'Hare with an extra year's valuable experience ?

I also like the notion of a GAA directive from on high to whatever referee to get the Donegal bullying etc stamped out with large swathes of red cards!

NAG1

Given that the accepted knowledge is that Donegal will win this game at a canter.

Put yourself in JMcC's boots, what would you do to give your team the best chance of getting a result, all out defence? or how?

Serious question what is the best way to stop this Donegal juggernaut?

Serious question lads so keep the smart ass answers to a minimum  ;)

BluestackBoy

Quote from: NAG1 on June 05, 2013, 02:53:25 PM
Given that the accepted knowledge is that Donegal will win this game at a canter.

Put yourself in JMcC's boots, what would you do to give your team the best chance of getting a result, all out defence? or how?

1 Speed
2 Accuracy from distance
3 Decent bench
4 Intensity for 70 mins
5 Total faith in yourself, the man standing beside you, & the sideline

In other words do what they do but be better at it. Tactics alone will not do it. I've been listening to fellas talking about figuring out the Donegal system & that's all very well but its psychologically they get you, they just are relentless & wear you down. I don't think it is something you can do on the training ground in a few weeks, it has to be your culture & be bred into you over a period of time.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

J OGorman

Quote from: NAG1 on June 05, 2013, 02:53:25 PM

tight, physical and very ugly a la Derry beating Tyrone a lock of years back. Down were being physical enough and 'vocal' enough on Sunday (Boyle / Doyle on Enda Lynn was way OTT in my book sledging wise), but would need to go to a whole new level of trench warfare to mix it with Donegal. Contrary to what a lot of folk think, Donegal are much more than ordinary / average players playing a system, they have top top players in all areas as well as being reborn attitude wise.

theticklemister

What about passing the ball about in yer own half until donegal come at ye and then lob the ball over the top of them.