Sligo V London Connaught C'ship

Started by ck, May 24, 2013, 02:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Why are non Sligo people so keen to object to Eamon O'Haras comments? Yet Sligo GAA people are relieved!

The farce continues. I know a county player in my club. He didn't sign any statement backing Walsh and was simply told tha it was happening and being issued by the county board on behalf of the players. Incidentally he agreed with O'Haras comments!

magpie seanie

I think todays lies by Walsh together with the Dads Army approach of the CB show what we're up against.

Please leave my county Mr Walsh. It has gone way to far.

blast05

Would be good crack to see Galway play Sligo in the qualifiers.
If you were a Galway player ..... "they insult one of our legends and have no respect for him despite the success he has had with them, we'll show those motherf*ckers, hammer them out the gate  .... agh, but wait ..... if we do beat them, then we are only confirming what they are saying about our Kevin. Ah, what to do, what to do...."

Mayo Mick

Quote from: ck on May 29, 2013, 09:38:03 PM
Why are non Sligo people so keen to object to Eamon O'Haras comments? Yet Sligo GAA people are relieved

Nobody outside of Sligo cares about who is right or wrong. It's like 2 bald men fighting over a comb or maybe even 2 combs fighting over a bald man!!

My issue is that O'Hara was on TSG as a panelist not as a Sligo man. He did not seem to understand the role he is there for. RTE and Cahill share the blame and Walsh is right to be annoyed.

If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

johnneycool

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 29, 2013, 11:55:32 PM
I think todays lies by Walsh together with the Dads Army approach of the CB show what we're up against.

Is Walsh the only problem? Is he maybe hamstrung with this Dads Army county board you Sligo ones keep going on about or is he part of a much bigger problem which even Jimmy McGuinness, Mick O'Dwyer and Mickey Harte together couldn't solve?

There's very few county boards in Ireland who're well thought of by us keyboard warriors all the same.

Syferus

Quote from: johnneycool on May 30, 2013, 02:30:32 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 29, 2013, 11:55:32 PM

Is Walsh the only problem? Is he maybe hamstrung with this Dads Army county board you Sligo ones keep going on about or is he part of a much bigger problem which even Jimmy McGuinness, Mick O'Dwyer and Mickey Harte together couldn't solve?

There's very few county boards in Ireland who're well thought of by us keyboard warriors all the same.

And rightly so. The whole GAA system is accountable to people doing the exact same thing thing CBs are doing but on a provincial level.

muppet

I read 'the Road to '51' a year or so ago.

Anyone who thinks things are bad now should read about the 30 man selection committee we had back then. Teams were picked by people who had never seen some of the players.
MWWSI 2017

SLIGONIAN

Video of this weeks county board meeting, a must see for anyone wanting to see how our county is run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIOcyoAG8w

PS whilst it is hilarious i dont like the pat hughes part, hes a good lad and decent player,
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Syferus

QuoteMcElkennon: RTE has an agenda
31 May 2013

Martin McElkennon suspects RTE is deliberately stirring things up.

Scathing comments made by Sunday Game pundits Joe Brolly and Eamonn O'Hara on successive weekends have attracted more column inches than any of the matches played so far in this year's championship and ace trainer McElkennon believes the national broadcaster is deliberately courting controversy to gain ratings:

"The remarks that some people have made on RTE, there seems to be an agenda there," the Tyrone man - who was himself publicly vilified by Pat Spillane while he was part of the Meath backroom team last year - comments in The Irish News.

"I think that is the best way to describe it - an agenda among some people making sweeping statements that really are only a personal opinion and there's no real facts to back it up.

"That seems the road - for some reason - that RTE is going down. I don't know why. Maybe this has been decided beforehand by the producers of the show to try and get in more viewers.

"If people are talking about it now, maybe that is what they are after. You have boys sitting in studios who have never managed a team - and this is the bit that is getting to me most - boys who have never managed an intercounty team.

"None of them have done it, yet it is very easy to turn around and say 'well I don't do it but, by the way, I will also tell you how it is done' by sitting after the game in a studio and giving your very one-sided opinion.

"I have heard some of the statements over the last few weeks and I have talked to a lot of good GAA men and I have not heard a single man say to me that they are in support of it.

"There is nobody saying to me 'what your man said last Sunday or the Sunday before, wasn't it great to hear?'. People are asking instead: what road are we going down here?'. And you have to wonder where this is going to end up."

http://hoganstand.com/Sligo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=193491

It really is highlighting how startling the lack of knowledge on this issue is when people are still playing the 'Bad RTE' angle and trying to lump O'Hara in with Brolly. You can argue O'Hara had an axe to grind if you want but I highly doubt increasing ratings had anything to do with what he said.

Dont Matter

Have any Sligo players left the panel yet?
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

BennyHarp

Quote from: Dont Matter on June 01, 2013, 02:20:15 PM
Have any Sligo players left the panel yet?

If things are as bad as O'Hara made out, I'm surprised there's anyone still on the squad!
That was never a square ball!!

imtommygunn

Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2013, 02:11:59 PM
31 May 2013

Scathing comments made by Sunday Game pundits Joe Brolly and Eamonn O'Hara on successive weekends have attracted more column inches than any of the matches played so far in this year's championship and ace trainer McElkennon believes the national broadcaster is deliberately courting controversy to gain ratings:

"The remarks that some people have made on RTE, there seems to be an agenda there," the Tyrone man - who was himself publicly vilified by Pat Spillane while he was part of the Meath backroom team last year - comments in The Irish News.

"I think that is the best way to describe it - an agenda among some people making sweeping statements that really are only a personal opinion and there's no real facts to back it up.

"That seems the road - for some reason - that RTE is going down. I don't know why. Maybe this has been decided beforehand by the producers of the show to try and get in more viewers.

"If people are talking about it now, maybe that is what they are after. You have boys sitting in studios who have never managed a team - and this is the bit that is getting to me most - boys who have never managed an intercounty team.

"None of them have done it, yet it is very easy to turn around and say 'well I don't do it but, by the way, I will also tell you how it is done' by sitting after the game in a studio and giving your very one-sided opinion.

"I have heard some of the statements over the last few weeks and I have talked to a lot of good GAA men and I have not heard a single man say to me that they are in support of it.

"There is nobody saying to me 'what your man said last Sunday or the Sunday before, wasn't it great to hear?'. People are asking instead: what road are we going down here?'. And you have to wonder where this is going to end up."

It really is highlighting how startling the lack of knowledge on this issue is when people are still playing the 'Bad RTE' angle and trying to lump O'Hara in with Brolly. You can argue O'Hara had an axe to grind if you want but I highly doubt increasing ratings had anything to do with what he said.

It had to do with him getting asked the question though.

Syferus

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2013, 03:06:57 PM
31 May 2013

As a viewer I would be absolutely disgusted if a host on analysis show didn't ask the ex-Sligo player on the panel about the state of Sligo football the night they lose to London for the first time in their history. That's basically home run situation for an interviewer. You have to ask the question, of that there should be no doubt.

People have this stupid, inane idea that The Sunday Game, a show about punditry, has some requirement to be objective (an impossible standard in itself) or fair and balanced.

It doesn't. Time for people to get over that fact.

imtommygunn

That idea is neither stupid nor inane.

These guys have been reading the english tabloids too much.

Iirc it wasn't the state of sligo football he was asked about but his personal situation. So you should still remain disgusted as he wasn't asked about the state of sligo football.

O'Hara is not to blame for this. Des Cahill asked the question. He just answered it.

You make out like the state of sligo football is a national outrage.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2013, 03:20:48 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2013, 03:06:57 PM
31 May 2013

As a viewer I would be absolutely disgusted if a host on analysis show didn't ask the ex-Sligo player on the panel about the state of Sligo football the night they lose to London for the first time in their history. That's basically home run situation for an interviewer. You have to ask the question, of that there should be no doubt.

People have this stupid, inane idea that The Sunday Game, a show about punditry, has some requirement to be objective (an impossible standard in itself) or fair and balanced.

It doesn't. Time for people to get over that fact.

Why is it stupid to expect the Sunday Game to give a fair and balanced analysis of GAA games, teams, managements etc?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."