Sligo V London Connaught C'ship

Started by ck, May 24, 2013, 02:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

O'Hara obviously had a personal axe to grind. Considering he is now 37 years of age I thought he would have been considered past it at county level at this stage anyway. Calling for a manager to resign is strong stuff and should'nt be done on National television becuase of your own personal grievances.

magpie seanie

So doing the right thing or saying the right thing shouldn't be done in case it upsets people?

No wonder abuse and the like was covered up in this country for so long with attitudes like that about.

O'Hara was asked adirect question - "Why were you not there?" and he answered it. Sure it as probably set up but Cahill is the presenter. O'Hara was 100% right and anyone who doesn't realise that doesn't know what they're talking about. He may have his own agenda as we all do to a greater or lesser extent. I'm sure Walsh will be given a forum to defend himself should he so wish to do so so spare the crocodile tears.

moysider

Quote from: Mano on May 27, 2013, 12:08:07 PM
Quote from: moysider on May 27, 2013, 11:58:53 AM

O Hara mentioned on Sunday Game that Walsh asked for a commitment for collective training from everybody from Nov. 1st last.
I know I ll be corrected if I m wrong, but is that not against current gaa ban on collective training during the close season?
That was amended last year. Teams are now back training according to when they were knocked out the previous year. Teams that progressed further were back training later than teams knocked out in early stages of the championship

Cheers for clarifying that.

yellowcard

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 27, 2013, 12:30:33 PM
So doing the right thing or saying the right thing shouldn't be done in case it upsets people?

No wonder abuse and the like was covered up in this country for so long with attitudes like that about.

O'Hara was asked adirect question - "Why were you not there?" and he answered it. Sure it as probably set up but Cahill is the presenter. O'Hara was 100% right and anyone who doesn't realise that doesn't know what they're talking about. He may have his own agenda as we all do to a greater or lesser extent. I'm sure Walsh will be given a forum to defend himself should he so wish to do so so spare the crocodile tears.

Ridiculous comparision.

I'm sure Walsh will defend himself but I doubt if he will have the forum of national TV. Would O'Hara really have made that much of a difference to Sligo at 37 years af age?

magpie seanie

Quote from: yellowcard on May 27, 2013, 12:36:37 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 27, 2013, 12:30:33 PM

Ridiculous comparision.

I'm sure Walsh will defend himself but I doubt if he will have the forum of national TV. Would O'Hara really have made that much of a difference to Sligo at 37 years af age?

Yes but that's only part of the point.

Syferus

Really don't know how I feel about Osin getting involved in Sligo's business, he was probably asked a question but I think a lot of people criticising O'Hara don't have much of a clue of what the situation is like in the surf.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2013, 01:33:25 PM
Really don't know how I feel about Osin getting involved in Sligo's business, he was probably asked a question but I think a lot of people criticising O'Hara don't have much of a clue of what the situation is like in the surf.

Will it be better for Sligo to have all their dirty laundry washed on The Sunday Game?
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Bit like yourself so.

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on May 27, 2013, 02:02:18 PM

Will it be better for Sligo to have all their dirty laundry washed on The Sunday Game?

I think the general sentiment is 'thank God, finally' in Sligo. These rumblings have been humming along for years now and have been effecting preparations by the county team by all accounts. Certainly not the ideal circumstances to say those things but it was probably the only way to push it into wider focus and get some real traction on the issues facing the GAA in Sligo. You simply wouldn't have anything close to that impact doing it in any other situation.

It's obviously not just Walsh but I think he made the wrong decision to continue. From what O'Hara said the panellists heard rumblings about Walsh sniffing out our manager's job (and we heard those rumours ourselves so he's not pulling it from thin air) and that was probably the moment of no return. If your manager isn't even committed to the team how could the team ever be prepared properly, mentally or otherwise?

I think Walsh is going to end up with a black eye beyond what he deserves out of all this but O'Hara did his county a service last night. even if his own personal feelings contributed to saying what he said.

Quote from: ballinaman on May 27, 2013, 02:05:31 PM
Bit like yourself so.

Nice job being glib but you'd do better to put your ear to the ground before commenting.

sans pessimism

;D
Quote from: ballinaman on May 27, 2013, 02:05:31 PM
Bit like yourself so.
;D
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Lar Naparka

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 27, 2013, 12:17:26 PM
O'Hara may have been correct in his sentiments but the way he delivered it was poor imo. He should have left his personal angle out of it as it basically came across as "Sligo lost because Walsh wouldn't play me".

Two of the main things he focussed on are completely unrelated to Sligo losing (but are obviously personal gripes):
- wanting players to start training on 1st Nov
- bringing a Mayoman into the squad in February

Instead, he should have focussed on what the real problems are:
- poor quality of training
- poor team selection
- ructions in the county board
That's very well put but I'd emphasise that O'Hara was responding to a direct question put to him by Cahill.  He was asked why he wasn't there and he certainly answered the question in an unambiguous way.
I was very surprised that nobody else present didn't pass any comment or put some questions to him so he was basically given a free run.
However, if that's a fault, it lies with Cahill and the other panellists. 
I'd agree completely that the issues he harped on were not directly related to the embarrassing loss yesterday but, again, he was answering a direct question. He certainly left no one in any doubt over his personal feelings on the current state of Sligo football or the ability of the manager.
Now I know I can be a bit pernickety at times but he gave his reasons for not being involved yesterday, as he was invited to do, and it's up to others to accept or deny the validity of his gripes.
Again, I agree that those were personal issues and the ones most likely to grab headlines whereas the real problems lie with the county board and Walsh's managerial style.
Strictly speaking, Walsh isn't obliged to answer to anyone other than to the county board that appointed him in the first place.
Seems to me that getting rid of Walsh won't solve Sligo's problems; I think his position is untenable but his resignation/dismissal alone won't change Sligo's football fortunes one little bit.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rosnarun

seeing as everyoones ears are so close to the the Ground , What ructions are taking place in the Sligo County boards and how is this affecting the Teams performance.
Blib word apart, To me all this sounds like a complete lack if respect for london and their efforts.  no one give a shit about county board when things are going well or sligo are doing their normal losig to Mayo Galway or Roscommon but dare to lose to London and its 'bring me a head , any head'
Mayo were gulity of this after losing to Sligo and more so Longfors a few years back
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

SLIGONIAN

At the end of day some of the outsiders have not got a clue. OHara said what his county needed to said, he has done his county another favour. The county board are a disaster and always have been, those in power doing anything to stay there, those not, doing anything to sabotage  it while someone else runs the ship and in the middle good sligo gaa folk walkaway.

Walsh has been a disaster since 2010, i am proud of Ohara even more after yday, he did Sligo GAA a huge service. Most outside of sligo are criticiing Ohara whereas most of Sligo is backing OHara. who knows more, whose in the best position to comment.?There is alot of stuff that goes on in Sligo GAA that people dont know about, in fact there are very few people in Sligo that actually care about Sligo GAA, O Hara said what needed to be said, the county board infighting has to stop and urge anyone involved that is not in it for the right reasons to please leave and let the few that care get on, that means massive changes as they're are people sabotaging the efforts of good people in an effort to gain and keep power, this is why we only won 3 connacht titles in 125 yrs, o hara told the truth last night in public and fair play to him, i back him 100%. This has to be the catalyst for change imo. Lets hope this is our darkest night and we can rise again to a new dawn. sligeach abu
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 27, 2013, 03:14:20 PM
O'Hara may have been correct in his sentiments but the way he delivered it was poor imo. He should have left his personal angle out of it as it basically came across as "Sligo lost because Walsh wouldn't play me".

Two of the main things he focussed on are completely unrelated to Sligo losing (but are obviously personal gripes):

- poor team selection
That's very well put but I'd emphasise that O'Hara was responding to a direct question put to him by Cahill.  He was asked why he wasn't there and he certainly answered the question in an unambiguous way.
I was very surprised that nobody else present didn't pass any comment or put some questions to him so he was basically given a free run.
However, if that's a fault, it lies with Cahill and the other panellists. 
I'd agree completely that the issues he harped on were not directly related to the embarrassing loss yesterday but, again, he was answering a direct question. He certainly left no one in any doubt over his personal feelings on the current state of Sligo football or the ability of the manager.
Now I know I can be a bit pernickety at times but he gave his reasons for not being involved yesterday, as he was invited to do, and it's up to others to accept or deny the validity of his gripes.
Again, I agree that those were personal issues and the ones most likely to grab headlines whereas the real problems lie with the county board and Walsh's managerial style.
Strictly speaking, Walsh isn't obliged to answer to anyone other than to the county board that appointed him in the first place.
Seems to me that getting rid of Walsh won't solve Sligo's problems; I think his position is untenable but his resignation/dismissal alone won't change Sligo's football fortunes one little bit.
I agree we need people who are sabotaging the cb to step away and those who in for power, title, ego, junkets etc... to walkaway aswell. Of course its not all walsh but his tactics and team selection has sabotaged any chances of the seniors winning connacht. But yes the bigger picture is the mess the cb are in and thats the changes that will make all the difference. One step at a time though. We dont a situation where the guys who are sabotaging either to get back in and that could easily happen given the numpties at cb level.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

rosnarun

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 27, 2013, 03:46:47 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 27, 2013, 03:14:20 PM

- poor team selection
That’s very well put but I’d emphasise that O’Hara was responding to a direct question put to him by Cahill.  He was asked why he wasn’t there and he certainly answered the question in an unambiguous way.
I was very surprised that nobody else present didn’t pass any comment or put some questions to him so he was basically given a free run.
However, if that’s a fault, it lies with Cahill and the other panellists. 
I’d agree completely that the issues he harped on were not directly related to the embarrassing loss yesterday but, again, he was answering a direct question. He certainly left no one in any doubt over his personal feelings on the current state of Sligo football or the ability of the manager.
Now I know I can be a bit pernickety at times but he gave his reasons for not being involved yesterday, as he was invited to do, and it’s up to others to accept or deny the validity of his gripes.
Again, I agree that those were personal issues and the ones most likely to grab headlines whereas the real problems lie with the county board and Walsh’s managerial style.
Strictly speaking, Walsh isn’t obliged to answer to anyone other than to the county board that appointed him in the first place.
Seems to me that getting rid of Walsh won’t solve Sligo’s problems; I think his position is untenable but his resignation/dismissal alone won’t change Sligo’s football fortunes one little bit.
I agree we need people who are sabotaging the cb to step away and those who in for power, title, ego, junkets etc... to walkaway aswell. Of course its not all walsh but his tactics and team selection has sabotaged any chances of the seniors winning connacht. But yes the bigger picture is the mess the cb are in and thats the changes that will make all the difference. One step at a time though. We dont a situation where the guys who are sabotaging either to get back in and that could easily happen given the numpties at cb level.

apart from infight can you list what the county board are doing wrong.
rember London have pushed galway and may close in recnt years  surely it was not big of a suprize that one day they would win a match against a leitrim roscommon or a sligo
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere