Sligo V London Connaught C'ship

Started by ck, May 24, 2013, 02:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Anyone I know in Sligo wants Walsh out.

On the issue of London having a load of players from various counties underlining the unemployment issue allover the country, I heard on MWR during the week that over half of the Donegal squad is unemployed! And there is no Donegal lads on the a london team. Match that to the fact that Donegal spent a week in a 5 star hotel a few weeks back for a training camp. How the hell are they doing it?

rodney trotter

Quote from: ck on May 26, 2013, 11:35:37 PM
Anyone I know in Sligo wants Walsh out.

On the issue of London having a load of players from various counties underlining the unemployment issue allover the country, I heard on MWR during the week that over half of the Donegal squad is unemployed! And there is no Donegal lads on the a london team. Match that to the fact that Donegal spent a week in a 5 star hotel a few weeks back for a training camp. How the hell are they doing it?
[/b]

Sure if half of them are unemployed they could be in a training camp for as long as they want. It's not them paying for the training camp. The other lads who are working probably use that time off as some of their holiday time

Syferus

Roscommon - where champions are forged 8)

blast05

QuoteIf anyone wants to contradict him, they are entitled to do so but, somehow, I think the possibility of this is remote.

Where and how can he be contradicted now though Lar.
If Walsh or anyone else were to challenge O'Haras comments then it at best would make a small article buried somewhere on a weekday in the Irish Indo .... wouldn't even be the headline focus in the Sligo Champion.

It was poor form on Des Cahills behalf to allow  Kevin Walshs reputation, character, etc etc to be savage on national TV without at least challenging or putting some sort of caveat in there...... more so when it was clear that O'Haras bitterness appeared to be more about him not getting special treatment rather than what is best for the county (my interpretation of his rant).
O'Haras agenda looked clear to me (in priority order):
#1: Do whats right for Eamon .... trying and get a momentum in place that demands Walsh resign now so that Eamon can tie up the boots again for the qualifiers.
#2: Do whats right for the county.... but this priority is completely tainted by him not getting the special treatment from Walsh he expected.

All in all, poor fair by the Sunday Game to allow such a rant go out unchallenged.... and bad bad form by O'Hara in my view.

Syferus

Quote from: blast05 on May 27, 2013, 12:36:21 AM
QuoteIf anyone wants to contradict him, they are entitled to do so but, somehow, I think the possibility of this is remote.

If Walsh or anyone else were to challenge O'Haras comments then it at best would make a small article buried somewhere on a weekday in the Irish Indo .... wouldn't even be the headline focus in the Sligo Champion.

It was poor form on Des Cahills behalf to allow  Kevin Walshs reputation, character, etc etc to be savage on national TV without at least challenging or putting some sort of caveat in there...... more so when it was clear that O'Haras bitterness appeared to be more about him not getting special treatment rather than what is best for the county (my interpretation of his rant).
#1: Do whats right for Eamon .... trying and get a momentum in place that demands Walsh resign now so that Eamon can tie up the boots again for the qualifiers.
#2: Do whats right for the county.... but this priority is completely tainted by him not getting the special treatment from Walsh he expected.

All in all, poor fair by the Sunday Game to allow such a rant go out unchallenged.... and bad bad form by O'Hara in my view.

How much about what's gone on in Sligo do you know? I think there's a big division on O'Hara's 'rant' between people who have heard these issues develop over the course of years and those who are looking at like from a distance and seeing a manager taking Sligo to two Connacht finals in three years and thinking O'Hara is ungrateful and went over-board.

Walsh was a truly great footballer and did some good things in Sligo but he over-stayed his welcome and the break-up is going to be acrimonious to say the least.

sligoman2

If everyone in Sligo GAA had Eamon O'hara's passion and drive, we would have a lot more than 3 connacht championships to our name.

I watched the Sunday Game and I feel Eamon was justified in everything he said, we all knew the starting 15 was not the best players available and unfortunately Gilmartin and Taylor as a midfield duo are not good enough for inter - county standard.

I thank Kevin for his time with Sligo, but god almighty, he should have known that starting with two proven forwards and a weak midfield was a very scary proposition.
I don't know much about the county board shite Eamon was referring to but until we have a structure in place where only the best players are playing then we are fcuked, especially given the limited population we have to begin with.

Maybe this is the kick in the hole we needed to INSIST on changes in the management and the county board - thank you Eamon for your candor and honesty, you said what needed to be said now lets make the changes that are obvious and restore some pride to sligo football.

As a former county player, I am very disappointed with what happened today, it's a new low for us and it's time to make the changes that are obvious and bring back the pride and passion that all Sligo GAA fans deserve.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

SLIGONIAN

Didnt get much sleep last night, i probably could not survive many more days like yday, but just watched ohara, and im so proud, the truth at last in public, lets hope this is the catalyst for change at cb and management level that changes our future....sligeach abu..
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

BennyHarp

Am I right in saying that Leitrim could possibly get to a provincial final without actually beating an Irish county? Fair play to London yesterday, I, for one, am not surprised and is reward for alot of hard work that is going on down there.
That was never a square ball!!

Bensars

No sign of Iruntherev ?  He'll be a happy man today after years of service to the entire  London GAA scene !

The last time London won in the championship Elvis was alive and well !

Hardy

Quote from: Bensars on May 27, 2013, 09:47:09 AM
No sign of Iruntherev ?  He'll be a happy man today

These two points are probably not unconnected.

highorlow

QuoteThe last time London won in the championship Elvis was alive and well !

...........and living in Enniskillen  ;)
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

blast05

Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2013, 12:40:38 AM
Quote from: blast05 on May 27, 2013, 12:36:21 AM

How much about what's gone on in Sligo do you know? I think there's a big division on O'Hara's 'rant' between people who have heard these issues develop over the course of years and those who are looking at like from a distance and seeing a manager taking Sligo to two Connacht finals in three years and thinking O'Hara is ungrateful and went over-board.

Walsh was a truly great footballer and did some good things in Sligo but he over-stayed his welcome and the break-up is going to be acrimonious to say the least.

I know very little about it Syferus. Whether or not O'Haras comments were correct (and i'm sure there are some in Sligo that would disagree with him - even some involved in the setup) ...... i just feel it was completely unbalanced and unfair on behalf of the Sunday Game to allow a complete character and reputation assassination to take place without giving the person on the receiving end the right of reply .... or at least having someone give a counter argument (as per Spillane and O'Rourke  countering Brollys point last week about Galway not being a serious football county)

Bad form on O'Hara behalf (largely driven i feel by him not getting the special treatment he wanted i feel.... the rights and wrongs of what Walsh was looking for are immaterial)
Bad form on Sunday Games behalf

moysider

O Hara mentioned on Sunday Game that Walsh asked for a commitment for collective training from everybody from Nov. 1st last.
I know I ll be corrected if I m wrong, but is that not against current gaa ban on collective training during the close season?

Mano

Quote from: moysider on May 27, 2013, 11:58:53 AM

O Hara mentioned on Sunday Game that Walsh asked for a commitment for collective training from everybody from Nov. 1st last.
I know I ll be corrected if I m wrong, but is that not against current gaa ban on collective training during the close season?
That was amended last year. Teams are now back training according to when they were knocked out the previous year. Teams that progressed further were back training later than teams knocked out in early stages of the championship

macdanger2

O'Hara may have been correct in his sentiments but the way he delivered it was poor imo. He should have left his personal angle out of it as it basically came across as "Sligo lost because Walsh wouldn't play me".

Two of the main things he focussed on are completely unrelated to Sligo losing (but are obviously personal gripes):
- wanting players to start training on 1st Nov
- bringing a Mayoman into the squad in February

Instead, he should have focussed on what the real problems are:
- poor quality of training
- poor team selection
- ructions in the county board