Grimley V Brolly, row in full swing

Started by T Fearon, May 21, 2013, 09:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: johnneycool on May 21, 2013, 03:56:50 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on May 21, 2013, 03:41:45 PM
The Sunday Game producers are rubbing their hands with glee!!!! Their viewing figures are in for a massive jump next week. Cant wait to see what Brolly says about Kerry's new manager Brosnan if Tipp beat them. :P ;)

Has Eamon Fitzmaurice got the boot already?

They're a tough crowd down there alright!

;D >o Brolly kept talking about "Brosnan" this and "Brosnan" that on Sunday when referring to the Kerry manager and Spillane took great pelasure in correcting him.
The Aristocrat Years

sam03/05

the bosses at the sunday game must be loving it.
Quite often the debate in the studio is better than the game itself.
The first thing i like to see after match is not the highlights but the studio reaction.

wipes the floor with bbc championship coverage.

macdanger2

All three of them are complete w@nkers and as far as I know, not one of them has ever been confident enough in their own ability to actually go out and manage an intercounty team.

Brolly was eulogising about how Donegal (or was it Tyrone?) would have been smart enough to pull down players running through unlike Galway. O'Rourke put him back in his box when he asked if Joe would be writing an article about their cynical and persistent fouling....

nrico2006

Jeesus, some people here need to wise up.  Brolly is a pundit who happens to be a slabber, hardly unique.  It doesn't matter if a fella is a paid professional or a 'GAA volunteer' as Sir Jarlath proclaimed, they are still entitled to criticism and if a fella goes a bit over the top then its hardly a hanging offence.  I assume that most people on here have been involved in gaelic games for most of their lives, and some of the verbal and physical hits you see and have been on the end of surely have enabled you to grow a bit of thickness in the skin.  We are getting more and more like women with our crying about what he/she/their dog said about me.  I don't see anybody complaing about the stuff Dunphy or whoever else on football shows come out with about players?  Why pick on Brolly? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rodney trotter

Look at the FAI thread on here and you will see people complaining about Dunphy. Why would people be mentioning him on this section, its the Gaa section after all. He is talking about players on 50k a week, are Gaa players on that

Zulu

To be fair Gary Linekar pointed out that RTE can get away with that type of 'straight shooting' as the premiership players and their families don't hear their spouting. I do think you have to be careful about how you structure your criticism of players or managers. I noticed that both Galway and Armagh have been slammed for being naive but Dublin play the same way and are All Ireland favourites. It wasn't simply a case of naive tactics but a lack of quality and intensity. This idea that 5 defenders against 5 forwards is sure to be a disaster as some are suggesting after the Armagh game is patently nonsense unless those 5 defenders can't play football.

There is more than one way to win football matches as long as you have the quality and application. Galway certainly seemed well short on both an Armagh kicked plenty of very scorable opportunities so questioning their quality is reasonable too.

It isn't all about the manager and a willingness to load up your defence, Cavan would have been well beaten by Dublin who would have played a similar system to Armagh.

muppet

There are times when Brolly has something mildly interesting to say and there are times when he has nothing to say. Unfortunately he feels the need to talk in both situations. When he has nothing intelligent to say he tends towards gratuitous insults and this is what pisses people off. They know he is spoofing and is merely firing off insults to disguise it. For example calling Ciaran McDonald a Swedish maid is mildy funny, to adolescents, but coming from a man who blew kisses to the crowd in the early 1990s it is hypocrisy.

As for the Sunday Game, we watch it because out teams are on TV, or our rivals, or the next team we play, or the likely champions etc. Anyone who watches because of Brolly needs to look at themselves. Maybe he could have his own show where he blows kisses to his fans and leave the football to the rest of us.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on May 21, 2013, 04:47:15 PM
There are times when Brolly has something mildly interesting to say and there are times when he has nothing to say. Unfortunately he feels the need to talk in both situations. When he has nothing intelligent to say he tends towards gratuitous insults and this is what pisses people off. They know he is spoofing and is merely firing off insults to disguise it. For example calling Ciaran McDonald a Swedish maid is mildy funny, to adolescents, but coming from a man who blew kisses to the crowd in the early 1990s it is hypocrisy.

As for the Sunday Game, we watch it because out teams are on TV, or our rivals, or the next team we play, or the likely champions etc. Anyone who watches because of Brolly needs to look at themselves. Maybe he could have his own show where he blows kisses to his fans and leave the football to the rest of us.

I'm guessing he won't be a passenger in your car any time soon?

yellowcard

Quote from: Zulu on May 21, 2013, 04:36:09 PM
To be fair Gary Linekar pointed out that RTE can get away with that type of 'straight shooting' as the premiership players and their families don't hear their spouting. I do think you have to be careful about how you structure your criticism of players or managers. I noticed that both Galway and Armagh have been slammed for being naive but Dublin play the same way and are All Ireland favourites. It wasn't simply a case of naive tactics but a lack of quality and intensity. This idea that 5 defenders against 5 forwards is sure to be a disaster as some are suggesting after the Armagh game is patently nonsense unless those 5 defenders can't play football.

There is more than one way to win football matches as long as you have the quality and application. Galway certainly seemed well short on both an Armagh kicked plenty of very scorable opportunities so questioning their quality is reasonable too.

It isn't all about the manager and a willingness to load up your defence, Cavan would have been well beaten by Dublin who would have played a similar system to Armagh.

Dublin are playing a different more attacking system under Gavin but there is no way in the world that Dublin would allow a 70 yard gap develop between their opponents 2 man full forward line and the next defender.

Armaghtothebone

Leaving Brolly aside for a moment which of the following managers would have persisted with a plan which was obviously not working.
Mickey Harte?
Jim McGuinness?
Pete McGrath?
Joe Kernan?

Surely any manager has to adapt and be willing to adapt on the day.

Grimly's attitutude bore the hallmarks of a First World War general. Keep on doing exactly the same thing regardless of the result.

Had Hylandsent Cavan out to play open football and entertain, great, but he did'nt, he sent them out to win.

We needed to stop them playing first, and then try and play our game.

Jinxy

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 21, 2013, 04:23:30 PM
All three of them are complete w@nkers and as far as I know, not one of them has ever been confident enough in their own ability to actually go out and manage an intercounty team.

Brolly was eulogising about how Donegal (or was it Tyrone?) would have been smart enough to pull down players running through unlike Galway. O'Rourke put him back in his box when he asked if Joe would be writing an article about their cynical and persistent fouling....

Have manners you pup.
Colm has managed plenty of teams in his time.
Club, school, county underage, International Rules.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on May 21, 2013, 04:50:37 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 21, 2013, 04:47:15 PM

I'm guessing he won't be a passenger in your car any time soon?

I'd be very happy to give him a lift.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2013, 05:18:40 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 21, 2013, 04:23:30 PM

Have manners you pup.
Colm has managed plenty of teams in his time.
Club, school, county underage, International Rules.

Sure Pat wanted to be involved with the Kerry underage set-up but that dastardly board of their's thwarted his ambitions. The feckers.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on May 21, 2013, 04:36:09 PM

Dublin don't play a similar system. that's Breheny created Mythology.

Throw ball

It is sad that Brolly has created such a stir that people, and headlines, are talking about him rather than the fact that Cavan have followed their under 21 success with senior progress. Martin Dunne should be the topic today. Not Joe Brolly.

As for the remarks, like BCB I would normally suggest that the best thing to say is nothing. However, once his family was mentioned Big Paul came out fighting. For that he cannot be condemned in my opinion.