Grimley V Brolly, row in full swing

Started by T Fearon, May 21, 2013, 09:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackcard

Big Paul's ego seems to be the issue here. Insisting in not changing because his reputation as a manager
would suffer is very telling. His team were hemmoraging at the back and he persisted.

,quote todays Irish News "I was seriously tempted to drop one maybe two men back....... I loose my nerve... STREWTH!

Thank god for the Joe Brollys of this world.

RealSpiritof98

Brollys PR team in full swing, new members popping up in every forum across the country. You might have give away your kidney Joe but you never had balls to begin with.

NAG1

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on May 21, 2013, 01:31:04 PM
Brollys PR team in full swing, new members popping up in every forum across the country. You might have give away your kidney Joe but you never had balls to begin with.

And this is relevant how?

screenexile

Good to see Grimley's PR team out as well!!

Bensars

A common misconception, totally removed from reality.

I have seen seen him go toe to toe against some hardy boys.  However dont let a lie stand in the way of a good story !

Carry on ...............

Syferus

If no manager or player was ever interviewed again TSG wouldn't be much poorer for it. I have a lot of respect for most of them but they are almost always reading off an autocue in interviews.

johnneycool

Quote from: God14 on May 21, 2013, 11:58:42 AM
If Grimley does boycott RTE... and bearing in mind the following:
* James Horan was very very upset with recent comments Brolly made
* The Cork lads were enraged when Brolly labelled them "as a dumb team"
* Jimmy McGuinness was furious with Spillane not that long ago, when he refused to name a man of the match in one of their USFC matches such was his frustration with Donegal
* Mickey Hartes ongoing Boycott of RTE due to the nasty sketch on the John MUrray radio show
... The list genuinely goes on & on

How far are the producers of the Sunday Game going to let this go? At what point are they going to reign these 'analysts' in? Surely a man can provide analysis of a game, have a bit of craic without repeatedly offending people?
I know some people say its only a bit of craic and all that - but these are amateurs. They all return to their families & places of employment on a monday morning after this public sledging match. And as Grimley pointed out - they have no opportunity to defend themselves (or their families) at all
Am I the only one who can forsee a complete black out by players and management at some stage in the future?

There's two aspects on this as far as I can see, Joe embellishes his points which more often than not are right by being smart arsed and cheap digs at lads who indeed who have no route for recourse. I heard his comments yesterday about the batman signal for the McEntee twins and thought he was getting too personal in his attack on the Armagh management, there was no need for that at all.

Secondly, some of these lads think they're the next Alex Ferguson, where no one dares to ask difficult questions of them like poor we Marty getting ate alive by Brian Cody after the AI win a few years ago, and Micky Harte falling out with RTE over some lad getting taken off the air, Jim McGuinness refusing to continue a press conference after the AI win because some lad had the cheek to interview Kevin Cassidy for a book.
Get over yourself lads FFS.

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on May 21, 2013, 01:48:37 PM
Quote from: God14 on May 21, 2013, 11:58:42 AM
If Grimley does boycott RTE... and bearing in mind the following:
* James Horan was very very upset with recent comments Brolly made
* The Cork lads were enraged when Brolly labelled them "as a dumb team"
* Jimmy McGuinness was furious with Spillane not that long ago, when he refused to name a man of the match in one of their USFC matches such was his frustration with Donegal
* Mickey Hartes ongoing Boycott of RTE due to the nasty sketch on the John MUrray radio show
... The list genuinely goes on & on

How far are the producers of the Sunday Game going to let this go? At what point are they going to reign these 'analysts' in? Surely a man can provide analysis of a game, have a bit of craic without repeatedly offending people?
I know some people say its only a bit of craic and all that - but these are amateurs. They all return to their families & places of employment on a monday morning after this public sledging match. And as Grimley pointed out - they have no opportunity to defend themselves (or their families) at all
Am I the only one who can forsee a complete black out by players and management at some stage in the future?

There's two aspects on this as far as I can see, Joe embellishes his points which more often than not are right by being smart arsed and cheap digs at lads who indeed who have no route for recourse. I heard his comments yesterday about the batman signal for the McEntee twins and thought he was getting too personal in his attack on the Armagh management, there was no need for that at all.

Secondly, some of these lads think they're the next Alex Ferguson, where no one dares to ask difficult questions of them like poor we Marty getting ate alive by Brian Cody after the AI win a few years ago, and Micky Harte falling out with RTE over some lad getting taken off the air, Jim McGuinness refusing to continue a press conference after the AI win because some lad had the cheek to interview Kevin Cassidy for a book.
Get over yourself lads FFS.

Would serve all the managers well, to put down the cliche book and actually give an honest interview for once. Too much of this crap of trying to bluff people left rignt and centre all the time.

yellowcard

I can see a day (and it might not be too far away) where RTE are forced to fire Brolly. He has got increasingly personal with his comments in the last year or two and there always appears to be an agenda in play.

With Grimley the agenda appears to be his love in with the McEntees and with Crossmaglen. The 2 McEntees are definitely strong candidates to be considered for the post of next Armagh managers but Brolly has already put them forward as saviours of gaelic football never mind Armagh football. Totally OTT imo. Now I would be more than happy to see the twins manage the county and think that they would make very good county managers and I think there is a groundswell of support within the county for this move. With Brolly, it is always black or white but he allows his obsession with Crossmaglen/McEntees/Donegal/McGuinness to get in the way too much. It is rarely as simple as that. Mostly I find myself agreeing with his comments but often not the tone.

rodney trotter

They would be better off having no other analysts when Brolly is around. Saw a bit of the Sunday game, and he was constantly speaking over Whelan and O Hara. Seemed like a very personal attack on Grimley. He went over board last year during the Seanie Johnston sage, spilling out rubbish without knowing the full facts

T Fearon

Too much of the adversarial/legal approach. Nothing personal meant, but I always have to have the last word,rest my case scenario with Brolly.

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on May 21, 2013, 02:01:07 PM
I can see a day (and it might not be too far away) where RTE are forced to fire Brolly. He has got increasingly personal with his comments in the last year or two and there always appears to be an agenda in play.

With Grimley the agenda appears to be his love in with the McEntees and with Crossmaglen. The 2 McEntees are definitely strong candidates to be considered for the post of next Armagh managers but Brolly has already put them forward as saviours of gaelic football never mind Armagh football. Totally OTT imo. Now I would be more than happy to see the twins manage the county and think that they would make very good county managers and I think there is a groundswell of support within the county for this move. With Brolly, it is always black or white but he allows his obsession with Crossmaglen/McEntees/Donegal/McGuinness to get in the way too much. It is rarely as simple as that. Mostly I find myself agreeing with his comments but often not the tone.

That love suffered a fair old hardship in February; love becoming stronger through trials of faith?

ck

Lads, in all of your eagerness to slag Brolly do any of you switch over when he speaks? No? Well THAT'S why he's on TV. He doesnt shy away from calling a spade a shovel and thats what we all enjoy watching as a form or entertainment, and lets face it, that's all it is, Entertainment.

As for Grimley. He has proved that he is out of his depth. His ego matched with lack of front line management experience meant he froze on the day and couldnt adapt tactics even though Stevie Wonder could see he needed to. He has been an absolute disaster for Armagh, full stop. Brolly is bang on the money on this occasion!

God14

Jarlath Burns just weighed into the debate on twitter:

Jarlath Burns‏ @jburns8341h
@JoeBrolly1993 @mcshane_michael @aaronkernan  Joe. I hope you regret what you said about a GAA volunteer. It was totally unacceptable.

yellowcard

Quote from: ck on May 21, 2013, 02:31:54 PM
Lads, in all of your eagerness to slag Brolly do any of you switch over when he speaks? No? Well THAT'S why he's on TV. He doesnt shy away from calling a spade a shovel and thats what we all enjoy watching as a form or entertainment, and lets face it, that's all it is, Entertainment.

As for Grimley. He has proved that he is out of his depth. His ego matched with lack of front line management experience meant he froze on the day and couldnt adapt tactics even though Stevie Wonder could see he needed to. He has been an absolute disaster for Armagh, full stop. Brolly is bang on the money on this occasion!

I think most would agree that the general point about his suicide tactics and unwillingness to change was correct. However with Brolly it was a convenient excuse to push his agenda again by using sensationalist language. Much the same way as he he highlighted Mayo's cynical fouling in the run up to last years AI final much to the angst of James Horan. That was also part of his pro-Donegal/McGuinness agenda.

I don't necessarily think he is deliberately personal in his remarks but he doesn't mind insulting someone if it gains a bit of publicity. I could just imagine that the fact that this story is in the newspapers this week is a mild source of amusement to him.