Catholic teenager almost lynched in Rangers Supporters Club in Donegall Road.

Started by T Fearon, May 11, 2013, 04:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qubdub

Quote from: hardstation on May 11, 2013, 06:42:21 PM
I don't think this would happen on the Falls but I wouldn't be so sure about Ardoyne or the Strand.
The Falls is a large nationalist area which isn't ever under threat from prods and therefore would be less wary of them than the "surrounded areas" would be. They are a lot more vulnerable and have suffered many attacks from prods.
Aye but beating up a young girl? As if a girl would ever pose a threat. I know loyalists have done it before but that was in the bad days. You'd think now they'd maybe cool the hatred a wee bit.

Nally Stand

Quote from: qubdub on May 11, 2013, 05:24:46 PM
Would something like that happen on the Falls? Or any Nationalist area?

Maybe not the "politically correct" thing to say but sectarianism is a disease which seems much more prevalent within the unionist community than the nationalist one. I know that my own area, which is overwhelmingly republican, that the few Protestant families there are were always very well respected, right through the worst years.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armaghniac

QuoteI don't think this would happen on the Falls but I wouldn't be so sure about Ardoyne or the Strand.

There were the Australian tourists attacked from the Short Strand, for instance.

However there is no real symmetry here, whatever about specific examples, a "Prod" going into a GAA club or pub in your average nationalist area  would be regarded with curiosity rather than hatred, especially a young woman.

And this is not accidental. There an underlying philosophy in nationalism (although often forgotten) that unionists must be persuaded and if someone comes along then they are presumed to be reaching out and not "bigoted". Of course there are half brained louts whose understanding of anything is negligible. But Unionism only has croppies lie down,
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

naka

Actually had a couple of pints in that club
Some decent guys when I was there and they knew I was a taig
There are bad guys everywhere

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on May 11, 2013, 09:20:55 PM
Quote from: naka on May 11, 2013, 09:14:24 PM
How did that come about?

Had a pint in the Welders on Dee street, didn't like it at all and was with fellow workers!! Worked on the Shankill for 3 years didn't feel safe but nothing ever happened. Had a few pints in a social club after a funeral in Rathcoole thought I was going to be next. This place is a shite hole sometimes, we claim to be the nicest people in the world but the things we have done to ourselves over the years is sick.

All because of where you happened to be born. Pure daft
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trileacman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2013, 06:18:46 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on May 11, 2013, 06:15:52 PM
Well said Tony. I hope these ........(can't think of a strong enough word to describe this brand of unionist)  get what's coming to them, one way or the other. As someone who's not too well informed about the North , I was very surprised that this kind of attack would still happen. What is the PSNI's track record for dealing with cases like this?

Very poor unless people come forward and who's going to do that? If there is cctv then hopefully they will get someone. Wasn't that long ago a lad was kicked to death in Omagh

That's not a fair comment. Several lads are up on charges as a result of that incident, handed in there passports, tagged and all that. They are awaiting trial currently.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trileacman on May 11, 2013, 10:29:55 PM
Well said Tony. I hope these ........(can't think of a strong enough word to describe this brand of unionist)  get what's coming to them, one way or the other. As someone who's not too well informed about the North , I was very surprised that this kind of attack would still happen. What is the PSNI's track record for dealing with cases like this?

Very poor unless people come forward and who's going to do that? If there is cctv then hopefully they will get someone. Wasn't that long ago a lad was kicked to death in Omagh

That's not a fair comment. Several lads are up on charges as a result of that incident, handed in there passports, tagged and all that. They are awaiting trial currently.

Yes but in the past as in the case in Lurgan a few years ago it was always difficult (sectarian wise) to get people to talk
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trileacman

Lads are a bit quick here with the peeler bashing, I'm no fan of them but they did arrest the suspects of the killing in Omagh on new years very quickly. You could compare that with the, as of yet, unsolved murder of a Gardai in Louth who you would have to assume is being sheltered by a largely republican community.

trileacman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2013, 10:35:32 PM

Yes but in the past as in the case in Lurgan a few years ago it was always difficult (sectarian wise) to get people to talk
Fair enough, but the Omagh case wasn't an example.

naka

Quote from: hardstation on May 11, 2013, 09:20:55 PM
Quote from: naka on May 11, 2013, 09:14:24 PM
How did that come about?
Joys of being a lawyer

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trileacman on May 11, 2013, 10:36:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2013, 10:35:32 PM

Fair enough, but the Omagh case wasn't an example.

I used the Omagh case as a example that people getting kicked to death isn't just a sectarian thing and when it happens in with no apparent reason then its actually worse, though any type of murder is as bad

ranch

Quote from: trileacman on May 11, 2013, 10:35:54 PM
Lads are a bit quick here with the peeler bashing, I'm no fan of them but they did arrest the suspects of the killing in Omagh on new years very quickly. You could compare that with the, as of yet, unsolved murder of a Gardai in Louth who you would have to assume is being sheltered by a largely republican community.

Without wanting to totally steer off topic, if there's evidence over the Gardai murder in Louth then those responsible should be arrested and charged. I don't see how you can assume those responsible are being 'sheltered' by a whole community?

muppet

Agreed.
'Tell them na'hin' is a badge of honour when it's your side but it is 'a disgrace' when it's themmuns.
MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

Not being sheltered by republicans fer fex sake - why did ya come out with that sihte!

People in the area are all pointing the finger at a couple of people who they are convinced did it,but the cops just don't have the evidence to do them.