Alex Ferguson

Started by Dougal Maguire, May 08, 2013, 08:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 10, 2013, 12:27:52 PM
Quote from: ONeill on May 09, 2013, 11:50:20 PM
If I heard a bollocks talk about Sir Alex Ferguson to me I'd be a bit embarrassed.

I don't think I've ever used the term when talking about him but if others do so what, it's not a big deal, but when ones start talking political and making a political view point on it then I'm a bit embarrassed about them and their small attitudes. Things like that have dragged us down over the years and will continue to do so. Peace walls down in 2023??? Do me a favour

I agree with O'Neill. Sir this, Baroness that, Dame the other makes my skin crawl. It is not an anti-Brit thing, it's an anti-monarchy thing, no matter the country.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

nrico2006

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 10, 2013, 01:07:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 10, 2013, 12:27:52 PM
Quote from: ONeill on May 09, 2013, 11:50:20 PM
If I heard a bollocks talk about Sir Alex Ferguson to me I'd be a bit embarrassed.

I don't think I've ever used the term when talking about him but if others do so what, it's not a big deal, but when ones start talking political and making a political view point on it then I'm a bit embarrassed about them and their small attitudes. Things like that have dragged us down over the years and will continue to do so. Peace walls down in 2023??? Do me a favour

I agree with O'Neill. Sir this, Baroness that, Dame the other makes my skin crawl. It is not an anti-Brit thing, it's an anti-monarchy thing, no matter the country.

Looking forward to seeing the reception Sir Alex gets at his last OT game.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

I'd imagine that's going to be very emotional. Definitely end of an era, and even for those of us looking in from outside the Man United tent, it's going to be another reminder of our own mortality. Tempus Fugit.

It's a pity that his last game is not at Old Trafford really, he should step down after the game and let Micky Phelan take the team to West Brom. It will certainly seem like 'after the lord mayor's show' with all that will happen this weekend.

deiseach

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 10, 2013, 01:39:45 PM

I presume tickets are like David Moyes trophies.

NAG1

Quote from: deiseach on May 10, 2013, 02:00:27 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 10, 2013, 01:39:45 PM

I presume tickets are like David Moyes trophies.

For now  ;)

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 09, 2013, 01:51:59 PM
It would be churlish to fail to acknowledge his accomplishments. He seems to have been a fantastic man manager, a great motivator and a brilliantly driven club man. Obviously as a Liverpool fan, I rolled my eyes or got annoyed with some of the raméis he came out with regarding referees, or excuses for the rare defeats but if I were a Man United fan I'd probably think he was an absolute hero.

I felt his only real shortfall, especially in the earlier European adventures, was on the tactical side. I think he out-clevered himself in his attempt to conquer Europe in the early days, when simply playing the sort of stuff that won them the premierships would have been more than good enough I think. I know the foreigners rule impacted there, but even at that I think he tried to play a radically different game in Europe.

He will be missed I think, by all soccer fans, because whether you loved or hated him, he was certainly a character in the game, and as he polarised opinion he generated interest all by himself. A great manager and a great club man.

As a Liverpool fan, I hope United come back to earth, naturally, and if they are not careful with this appointment there might be a fallow period ahead, with all the Glazer questions appearing back on the radar. I think one of the fantastic things Ferguson did as a manager was make the fans forget what the Glazers were doing. A period of relatively poor seasons and suddenly that might become a much bigger issue.

I wish him well in his retirement, he's well deserved it.

Well said.

Gaffer

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qHeSSb8akHk

Slur Alex.

Someone must have spiked his Wrigleys!!!

Reminds me of that Russian leader boyo!!! 
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

From the Bunker

Quote from: orangeman on May 13, 2013, 11:20:03 AM
Ferguson's worst 11.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sir-alex-fergusons-worst-ever-xi-at-manchester-united-28729103.html

Only about three bad signings on that list. Really! Most were driftwood or bargain bin purchases for a club like MU. There are other players not on the list like Neil Web, Veron, Poborski and probably Bartez, to name a few.

NAG1

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 13, 2013, 11:33:35 AM
Ferguson's worst 11.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sir-alex-fergusons-worst-ever-xi-at-manchester-united-28729103.html

Only about three bad signings on that list. Really! Most were driftwood or bargain bin purchases for a club like MU. There are other players not on the list like Neil Web, Veron, Poborski and probably Bartez, to name a few.

Had Forlan shown the form that he has since for club and country whilst at OT there would be no knowing how far he would have went. Even at that time he showed flashes of the talent he had, just couldn't put it together at that time. Shows you not all players mature at the same rate.

snoopdog

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 13, 2013, 11:33:35 AM
Ferguson's worst 11.

Neil Webb was unlucky with injury. Did forlan get enough of a chance. Bartez was keeper long enough, i wouldnt say he was a failure.

Eamonnca1

Sir Alex has big shoes to fill now that he's up there with Sir Matt Busby in being held in such high esteem.

The Gs Man

Unfortunate to see my big cousin make that list. He was definitely there at the wrong time, Bruce and Pallister at centre-half.
Keep 'er lit