Alex Ferguson

Started by Dougal Maguire, May 08, 2013, 08:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

It would be churlish to fail to acknowledge his accomplishments. He seems to have been a fantastic man manager, a great motivator and a brilliantly driven club man. Obviously as a Liverpool fan, I rolled my eyes or got annoyed with some of the raméis he came out with regarding referees, or excuses for the rare defeats but if I were a Man United fan I'd probably think he was an absolute hero.

I felt his only real shortfall, especially in the earlier European adventures, was on the tactical side. I think he out-clevered himself in his attempt to conquer Europe in the early days, when simply playing the sort of stuff that won them the premierships would have been more than good enough I think. I know the foreigners rule impacted there, but even at that I think he tried to play a radically different game in Europe.

He will be missed I think, by all soccer fans, because whether you loved or hated him, he was certainly a character in the game, and as he polarised opinion he generated interest all by himself. A great manager and a great club man.

As a Liverpool fan, I hope United come back to earth, naturally, and if they are not careful with this appointment there might be a fallow period ahead, with all the Glazer questions appearing back on the radar. I think one of the fantastic things Ferguson did as a manager was make the fans forget what the Glazers were doing. A period of relatively poor seasons and suddenly that might become a much bigger issue.

I wish him well in his retirement, he's well deserved it.

ballinaman

Hardly constitutes being described as vile is all that I was trying to point out. Met him 3 times in Prenton Park at games over the space of 3 years and he remembered my name each time and was happy to stop and chat each time. Thought he came across very sound.

deiseach

Quote from: ballinaman on May 09, 2013, 01:52:10 PM
Hardly constitutes being described as vile is all that I was trying to point out. Met him 3 times in Prenton Park at games over the space of 3 years and he remembered my name each time and was happy to stop and chat each time. Thought he came across very sound.

What games brought you to Prenton Park?

ballinaman

Quote from: deiseach on May 09, 2013, 01:59:44 PM

I'm a Tranmere supporter in my spare time as well for my sins.Family connections with the club. Ferguson was there at a United reserve game, must be around 2000 as far as I can remember. He was with Darren the other two times, watching when he was with Wrexham and then there again when he was manager or Peterborough.

deiseach

Quote from: ballinaman on May 09, 2013, 02:23:38 PM

I'm a Tranmere supporter in my spare time as well for my sins.Family connections with the club. Ferguson was there at a United reserve game, must be around 2000 as far as I can remember. He was with Darren the other two times, watching when he was with Wrexham and then there again when he was manager or Peterborough.

Right. Often threatened to go over the water to see Tranmere during my time in Liverpool. Never did make it. Pure lazy.

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on May 09, 2013, 02:41:14 PM

Right. Often threatened to go over the water to see Tranmere during my time in Liverpool. Never did make it. Pure lazy.

Everton confirm Moyes has gone and Manu have prematurely welcomed Moyes on their facebook page then taken it down again.

Done and dusted it seems.

Best of Luck to Moyes, he'll take no shíte no matter how big the ego.

ballinaman

Quote from: deiseach on May 09, 2013, 02:41:14 PM

Mersey tunnel toll is a rip off in fairness :D. If you are ever over for a weekend, Friday night games in Prenton are hard to beat.

Milltown Row2

[/quote]
Not quite sure why you're quoting me on this...  :o
[/quote]

You claimed in it that Utd played Standard
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

deiseach

Quote from: ballinaman on May 09, 2013, 03:33:46 PM
Mersey tunnel toll is a rip off in fairness :D

It beats the alternatives.

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on May 08, 2013, 10:10:36 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 08, 2013, 09:37:22 PM
It really sickens my hole to hear the people of a Republic continually refer to this oul git by the Feudal medieval "title" given him by an unelected foreign Head of State.

I always thought Elphin people had bit more respect about sporting legends  :D

Only if they are local ones.
Don't recall ever admitting to being one of them ( Elphins not sporting legends  ;D ) though  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

laoislad

Have followed them myself since Aldo joined them.Always keep an eye out for their results, Tranmere and Notts Forest would be my 'other' clubs that I have an interest in, been to both a few times.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ross4life on May 08, 2013, 10:10:36 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 08, 2013, 09:37:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 08, 2013, 10:05:11 AM
Quote from: Orior on May 08, 2013, 09:16:30 AM
Change the thread title to Alex Ferguson please

Why?
It really sickens my hole to hear the people of a Republic continually refer to this oul git by the Feudal medieval "title" given him by an unelected foreign Head of State.

I always thought Elphin people had bit more respect about sporting legends  :D

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 08, 2013, 09:19:19 PM
Ah, I read a page of this and  now I remember why I couldnt give a shite about any English team. Carry on.
Myles you shouldn't have to read page to remember. I couldn't give a shite about a lot topics on here especially those about religion or politics.

I used to think that when I was 12, then I realised that politics and religion are in control of almost everything.

snoopdog

i cant believe in this day and age people get so wound up about a man being called Sir. Get a life, thankfully most of the country have moved on from this c.rap.  IS there no sectarian scottish football thread for you guys to go to and discuss Billy McNeills MBE and celtic wearing a poppy on their shirt each november. Sirs.

ONeill

If I heard a bollocks talk about Sir Alex Ferguson to me I'd be a bit embarrassed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on May 09, 2013, 11:50:20 PM
If I heard a bollocks talk about Sir Alex Ferguson to me I'd be a bit embarrassed.

I don't think I've ever used the term when talking about him but if others do so what, it's not a big deal, but when ones start talking political and making a political view point on it then I'm a bit embarrassed about them and their small attitudes. Things like that have dragged us down over the years and will continue to do so. Peace walls down in 2023??? Do me a favour
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea