Alex Ferguson

Started by Dougal Maguire, May 08, 2013, 08:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Lads, lads. A nicer man you'll never meet. I'm a bit biased because my granny practically reared him when he was growing up in Govan (we're distant cousins), but haters will always hate. As for questioning his politics, catch a f**king grip. As someone mentioned earlier, married a catholic, and he's from a mixed marriage. Just because he played for Rangers doesn't mean shit. Sure look at Mo Johnston.
Keep 'er lit

CC1

Quote from: ballinaman on May 09, 2013, 07:48:03 AM
Quote from: trileacman on May 08, 2013, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 08, 2013, 03:34:35 PM
Personally speaking I did not like the man at all.

To me he was a bully. He bullied referees, he bullied the FA, he bullied journalists and the list goes on. Every media interview he gave his answers were loaded to put pressure on others. 

If that's what it takes to be successful then fair enough. I respect that he was successful but I did not respect the way he did it.

Mourinho is of similar ilk.

People like Guardiola can be hugely successful without having to resort to how the previous two I mentioned conduct themselves.

No I'm not a Liverpool fan.

I feel exactly the same, successful but a vile character beneath it all.

Added to that there is a huge degree of hypocrisy at home when it comes to "Sir" Alex. Lads who would shove all the republican claptrap of the day down your throat are falling over themselves to declare the brilliance of a hardened Unionist. He's entitled to a political opinion of course but the hypocrisy of his fan-boys is nauseating.
His vile character here was something else, this guy broke his foot in a game V United and look what the he a the cheek to send to him....

What is vile is you putting lies onto the internet about Ferguson. When did United play Standard Leige in the 2009 season? YOU have some cheek.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2009/09/14/1499994/steven-defour-injury-blow-for-standard-liege
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

BenDover

Quote from: ranch on May 09, 2013, 12:44:31 AM
Quote from: laoislad on May 08, 2013, 10:43:28 PM
Quote from: ranch on May 08, 2013, 10:03:44 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 08, 2013, 04:52:09 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 08, 2013, 04:23:27 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 08, 2013, 03:44:51 PM
I'm not a big believer in the theory that you can be a **** in one part of your life and be the nicest guy in the world in others. Single mindedness, determination etc are fair enough. Tramping on others is not in my view.

Each to their own!

To get above a certain "status" in life you need that ruthlessness in you and I know that but why did people like Guardiola and guys like that not have to do that yet Mourinho / Fergie did.

Anyway, just my opinion.

I think the job is too big for MOyes as well. He's a motivator and a manager of a solid side. United job different kettle of fish altogether.

I'd agree with that too, as you go down the football league you'd see managers that sit in one group or the other.

Neil Warnock is a bully and acts in a very self-absorbed way, you could compare that to guys like Steve Coppell, Steve Bruce or Mike Jewell who all showed a bit of decency. Phil Brown would have been a case similar to the latter, if not as bad as Neil Warnock.

Maybe that is why Pep is a level below Mourinho and Sir Alex.

People are talking like Guardiola's some sort of saint. Anybody remember how he ignored Cristiano Ronaldo only a few months ago when he went to shake his hand?
;D

What?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iphu65q3NrI

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CC1 on May 09, 2013, 08:30:36 AM

To me he was a bully. He bullied referees, he bullied the FA, he bullied journalists and the list goes on. Every media interview he gave his answers were loaded to put pressure on others. 

If that's what it takes to be successful then fair enough. I respect that he was successful but I did not respect the way he did it.

People like Guardiola can be hugely successful without having to resort to how the previous two I mentioned conduct themselves.

Added to that there is a huge degree of hypocrisy at home when it comes to "Sir" Alex. Lads who would shove all the republican claptrap of the day down your throat are falling over themselves to declare the brilliance of a hardened Unionist. He's entitled to a political opinion of course but the hypocrisy of his fan-boys is nauseating.
His vile character here was something else, this guy broke his foot in a game V United and look what the he a the cheek to send to him....

What is vile is you putting lies onto the internet about Ferguson. When did United play Standard Leige in the 2009 season? YOU have some cheek.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2009/09/14/1499994/steven-defour-injury-blow-for-standard-liege

Read the letter again, then you might have read what he said, I believe he said, I heard you got an injury in one of YOUR games he did say in a game against us you dipshit, but carry on with what you believe. Fergie got a letter from a fan and asked him to write to him.

READ BEFORE YOU POST
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Aye, that makes him a sounder chap even that it wasn't in a game against United and still took the time to write that. Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

nrico2006

Quote from: ballinaman on May 09, 2013, 08:53:30 AM
Aye, that makes him a sounder chap even that it wasn't in a game against United and still took the time to write that. Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

I think Fergie was after Defour for a while, hence the letter.  A bit reminiscent of the RVN chase.  Still, nice of him to do it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

CC1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 09, 2013, 08:52:55 AM

Read the letter again, then you might have read what he said, I believe he said, I heard you got an injury in one of YOUR games he did say in a game against us you dipshit, but carry on with what you believe. Fergie got a letter from a fan and asked him to write to him.

READ BEFORE YOU POST
Not quite sure why you're quoting me on this...  :o

CC1

No problem.  :P

deiseach

I was acquainted with Leo Varadker in college and found him to be perfectly nice fella. So if you think, based on his public persona, that he's a pompous hard-faced right-wing jerk, you're wrong.

Bingo

Wasn't this lad the next big thing at the time and this letter was widely hyped as a Fergie trick to get him to United should he recover?

Fergie loves a letter though, Craig Brown was talking about him on Today FM yesterday evening and he was talking about a long letter that he received from his good friend Fergie a few months back.

wildrover

Massive Ferguson Fan. Very sorry to see him go. Always had a sense that no matter what happened around the club, from take-over bids, stock-market floatation, star players departures, rival clubs periodic successes, he was in control of things (or at least gave the impression that he was, which at a club the size of Man Utd was just as important)...

Alongside the departures of David Gill (who has been outstanding in his role) and Wayne Rooney (who has consistently been in the top 3-4 players in each of his 10 years at the club, barring perhaps the last 2) these are uncertain times for the club. It is imperative that whoever comes in to fill all 3 positions be given time to find their feet and that the fans stay loyal and patient. It wont be an easy ride as you can be guaranteed that every blip along the way will be magnified 10-fold by a sensationalist media, but if anything is to be learned from Ferguson's tenure at the club it is that stability is key.

Impossible to predict future fortunes of the clubs success but very hopeful that with such a strong board of directors in place Man Utd have every chance of going on to enjoy continued success that it 'needs'. I say 'needs' because the economic situation the club is in demands it...anything less would be catastrophic!

On a side-note regarding the letter to Defour above I am fairly appalled at Ferguson's PA that they didn't proof-read his letter. From the manager of an institution the size of Man Utd, you would expect a level of professionalism to cover at the very least basic grammar and punctuation. Perhaps the whisky was in!!!

johnneycool

Did Alf Inge Haaland get a letter as well I wonder?

Ulterior motives there from Sur Alex, he's no dozer.

deiseach

Quote from: hardstation on May 09, 2013, 09:58:54 AM
Quote from: deiseach on May 09, 2013, 09:34:03 AM
I was acquainted with Leo Varadker in college and found him to be perfectly nice fella. So if you think, based on his public persona, that he's a pompous hard-faced right-wing jerk, you're wrong.
I met Mickey Harte before and he seemed a nice fella.

I know, however, that he is a hateful bollix because he manages a team that is better at football than the team I support.

That's a daft attitude to have.

ranch

Quote from: BenDover on May 09, 2013, 08:36:24 AM
Quote from: ranch on May 09, 2013, 12:44:31 AM
Quote from: laoislad on May 08, 2013, 10:43:28 PM
Quote from: ranch on May 08, 2013, 10:03:44 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 08, 2013, 04:52:09 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 08, 2013, 04:23:27 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 08, 2013, 03:44:51 PM
I'm not a big believer in the theory that you can be a **** in one part of your life and be the nicest guy in the world in others. Single mindedness, determination etc are fair enough. Tramping on others is not in my view.

Each to their own!

To get above a certain "status" in life you need that ruthlessness in you and I know that but why did people like Guardiola and guys like that not have to do that yet Mourinho / Fergie did.

Anyway, just my opinion.

I think the job is too big for MOyes as well. He's a motivator and a manager of a solid side. United job different kettle of fish altogether.

I'd agree with that too, as you go down the football league you'd see managers that sit in one group or the other.

Neil Warnock is a bully and acts in a very self-absorbed way, you could compare that to guys like Steve Coppell, Steve Bruce or Mike Jewell who all showed a bit of decency. Phil Brown would have been a case similar to the latter, if not as bad as Neil Warnock.

Maybe that is why Pep is a level below Mourinho and Sir Alex.

People are talking like Guardiola's some sort of saint. Anybody remember how he ignored Cristiano Ronaldo only a few months ago when he went to shake his hand?
;D

What?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iphu65q3NrI

I was saying 'what?' in response to LaoisLad's  rather bizarre smiley face...strange!

Tony Baloney

Fergie was obviously tapping him up. Plain to see.