Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy90

What time is throw in? I'm thinking of heading over for this game but need to be back in Knock Airport for 6 at the latest.

Cheers.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Lar Naparka

Right now, I'd be reasonably confident of a win but a lot can happen between now and May 19th and we can't afford any more injury problems. Galway could take a batin' off any other county but against Mayo, they'll fight to the long whistle.
Mayo will have a fight on their hands and if we happen to win it will because we were the hungrier side- no quarter sought or granted from beginning to end.
From 1-7, I think Mayo can match any side in the land. Horan has options here if he needs them. He can make positional switches and bring on replacements without affecting the overall efficiency of this sector and he should be fairly well served at midfield also, even if Barry Moran is unavailable but the attack worries me a bit.
With Alan and Andy out of the reckoning, we have now lost Mick Conroy and that's one hell of a setback.
We're not blessed with ready made replacements for any one of them, never mind all three. I think Carolan is showing great promise and he'll be a permanent fixture before the summer is over but his best is still to come. I could say the same about Regan; promising enough but not the finished article yet.
Kevin Mac is the only one I can see who can be expected to cause problems for the Galway defence. Cillian seems to have all the attributes needed to make a top class forward but I can't see him taking on the role of leader  or father figure or whatever, when the going gets tough. He's no Andy Moran but he has what it takes if only he asserted himself more. Still, I'd like to have him on my side but now is the time for him to step up to the plate as it were.
Varley, Doc and Freeman have been around for a while and all have their moments but I can't see any of them being MOTM on the 19th and that's for sure.
We should just about finish in front in Salthill but with tougher tests ahead, the injured lads had better get back in flying form sooner rather than later.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on April 26, 2013, 11:19:41 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 26, 2013, 09:35:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 26, 2013, 07:39:32 PM
Galway have to be in with a shout. Mayo injuries and forward questions and galway can always focus for mayo.  I hope they give it bhfaca tu this year.

Galway in Salthill will be in with a shout. No mistake about it.

Pendulum swinging to Galway now - no doubt about it. We ve been struggling to get a balance in the forwards anyway so this is not going to help. Goin in without Andy, Conroy and Dillon not right either, is not likely to end well.

Regan should start if he stays injury free. My worry about him is that he hasn t been blooded enough. But he couldn t have got much more time because he s had serious injury isssues. He s bulked up a lot but he ll never be michelin man. If we can get him in the game he could be a match winner. Judging him on a few minutes v Dublin in league semi is very hasty. This lad now needs starts and full games and trust in his quality.

How so Moy?

The strongest part of the Mayo team is defence and midfield. From 1-9 everyone should be fit and available by the sounds of it. Mayo kicked a number of free kicks wide in 2011 game they would have beaten Galway by 12 if O'Connor took those frees. Mayo are much improved from that game.  K McLoughlin, A Dillon, A Moran; C O’Connor, A Freeman, J Doherty was starting 6 forwards that day & apart from Andy Moran (who is on his way back) i think that same forward line will probably start this game.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Zulu

Freeman and Doherty don't have the cut to be serious IC forwards IMO, they strike me as the type of players that could be good in the league or will have the odd championship game where you think they've stepped up only to disappoint in the next game. Varley is a better option but he isn't a go to IC full forward either and there is no centre forward in the Mayo panel. Dillon, McLoughlin and COC can be expected to perform at this level more often than not but after that I think Mayo will find it hard to fill the 3 other jerseys up front. AOS may take one but I'd play him midfield.

Syferus

Mayo will probably throw up their best point scoring display in years with a hamstrung line-up knowing how fickle these games are but on paper Galway have the forwards to make Mayo pay a heavy price if those forwards do fluff their lines.

moysider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 26, 2013, 11:32:07 PM
Galway have to be in with a shout. Mayo injuries and forward questions and galway can always focus for mayo.  I hope they give it bhfaca tu this year.

Pendulum swinging to Galway now - no doubt about it. We ve been struggling to get a balance in the forwards anyway so this is not going to help. Goin in without Andy, Conroy and Dillon not right either, is not likely to end well.

Dillon will surely play if he returned to club football last weekend.

He did return and played a bit, but looked off the pace a bit according to somebody that knows a bit. The Tubber lads might have a better handle on it. But he s been out a while and may be struggling to get right.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on April 27, 2013, 12:37:06 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 26, 2013, 11:32:07 PM

Dillon will surely play if he returned to club football last weekend.

He did return and played a bit, but looked off the pace a bit according to somebody that knows a bit. The Tubber lads might have a better handle on it. But he s been out a while and may be struggling to get right.

Yeah, that's the big concern. Alan has played a lot of county football in various grades since he was in his teens and he's clocked up a fair bit of mileage. He has also picked up a lot of injuries along the way.
There's absolutely no guarantee that he'll hit the ground running when he does return again. Same goes for Andy; he's been on the go a long time and has had his share of knocks also.
I have to agree with Zulu that we are short of good IC forwards. With Andy out of the running, we haven't a recognised FF and no natural CHF either. It could well be the case if we come away from Salthill with a win that Galway played badly rather than Mayo being in top gear.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ziggy90 on April 26, 2013, 11:44:05 PM
What time is throw in? I'm thinking of heading over for this game but need to be back in Knock Airport for 6 at the latest.

Cheers.

Throws in at 4pm zig.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

moysider

Evan Regan came off injured yesterday in Breaffy match. Knee. Haven t heard how bad it is yet. Came back on after it happened but had to be taken off again before ht.

Crete Boom

Quote from: moysider on April 29, 2013, 03:09:13 PM
Evan Regan came off injured yesterday in Breaffy match. Knee. Haven t heard how bad it is yet. Came back on after it happened but had to be taken off again before ht.

Is it safe to assume it was the same knee that troubled for most of last year as well Moy?

moysider

Quote from: Crete Boom on April 29, 2013, 03:25:39 PM

Is it safe to assume it was the same knee that troubled for most of last year as well Moy?

Not sure. Should know more later.

Crete Boom

Quote from: moysider on April 29, 2013, 03:31:32 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on April 29, 2013, 03:25:39 PM

Not sure. Should know more later.

Hopefully it more of the " took a knock variety" than a full recurrence of the injury cause I think given the chance he could be a major force for Mayo this year.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 23, 2013, 11:43:11 PM
Killer - Farr, is he still in the UK?,

He is and hasn't featured at all this year due to an injury he picked up in December.  :-\ That's a balls if it's Regan's same knee that's giving him trouble again.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: muppet on April 29, 2013, 01:23:18 PM
http://www.hoganstand.com/Mayo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=191182&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This was well flagged, but it will be 8 weeks out for Conroy so he misses the Galway game.

Them are the breaks! Big loss. Very under-rated because of his size and style of play. Ah, a door of opportunity opens for someone else to stake a claim.