Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 23, 2013, 11:11:00 PM
Conroy would be a big loss

Would Regan normally play in the FF line? Have seen very little of him to be honest, is he ready / good enough for county level yet?

Other than that, we'd probably be looking at Doc & Varley in FF? If A Freeman could rediscover his form of 2010 it would be great but no sign of that happening.

Thing is both Doc and Varley picked up knocks as well! Both have their moments in games for sure. But like Freeman as well they seem to have played their best games when they burst on the scene first.

As for Regan. Pure no.13.

macdanger2

Yeah, Doc hasn't been great in Championship yet despite showing well occasionally in the league, Varley still has something to offer though I think - he has the ability to score some great points on his day.

Other options in the FF line are few and far between:

Killer - Farr, is he still in the UK?,
Alan Murphy - brought into the squad in the middle of last year but given hardly any game time
Kirby - is he injured or just not on the panel anymore?
Ronaldson - has the skill but lacks physicality, unlikely to be called up

Anyone else from outside recent panels who should be considered?

Bod Mor

With Conroy and Moran x 2 missing for the Galway clash, it surely doesn't make for ideal preperation. Galway will be rubbing their hands with glee and this will be a titanic contest, let nobody be codding themselves.
They ran Dublin close in a challenge match at the weekend and had a decent league campaign. Under 21s flying as well. They'll be ready to pounce and we really can't afford to be caught on the hop in this one.
Just after the first league game this year (Kerry), an interview with Ger Cafferkey http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/its-not-a-matter-of-where-we-are-going-its-how-we-get-there-29102337.html explained that the league was going to be used only to measure performances, that results would play second fiddle as long as the performances were right. You can read any way you like into this but this attitude may have affected 'performances' in some of the league games. The right attitude was definitely on show against Donegal and Cork.

The last think we want is to end up in Derry or somewhere in the 1st/2nd round of the qualifiers. Any talk of bringing in players that weren't tried out in the league is surely nonsense. Horan knows his starting 15 and will have planned for every single scenario if any of those starting 15 gets injured. I'd be shocked if there are any additions to the panel for personnel who weren't tried out in the league (bar Andy Moran le cúnamh Dé).

I'd like to see at least one tough challenge match before the Galway game. I know we have Fermanagh this weekend so it will be a chance to see who will fill in for Conroy.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

seafoid

Quote from: ballinaman on April 23, 2013, 11:12:25 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 23, 2013, 11:05:28 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 23, 2013, 10:15:27 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 23, 2013, 09:47:17 PM
Over on WJ's blog, somebody (last comment) said that Conroy is out for a few months. Let's hope the rumour is wrong.
Heard he picked up and ankle injury, didn't hear what type exactly. Couple of months would be ligament rupture...hopefully just a sprain though. Going to Salthill without Moran x2 and Conroy wouldn't be ideal putting it mildly.

Local paper had it as a 'painful' shoulder injury. That could take some time  :(
Sounds like Chinese whispers so when I heard it was the ankle today, must have got lost in translation when word crossed the shannon. Shoulder sounds more realistic to put him out for an extended period of time. Very disappointing. :(
The Mayo team that wins the AIF in whatever season probably won't be the same as the team that starts that season. Some fellas will.come into the team to cover injuries or loss of form and be proven at the highest level. Mayo have been building up the consistency but they need to keep at it.

seafoid

According to Wikipedia,  Galway and Mayo are tied on 43 Connacht titles each. It's a bit like Liverpool vs Man Utd. Roscommon would be Leeds.

ballinaman

Conroy having shoulder surgery today. 3 months minimum. Balls.

joemamas

Quote from: ballinaman on April 26, 2013, 12:36:08 PM
+1, He will be a big loss, great ballwinner, if the league semi-final is anything to go by, we are clutching at straws if we think that Regan is a potential replacement. Hopefully he may be one for the future, but on that appearance is seriously lacking in the physical stakes. Unfortunately, we are very light on replacements, I dont think Freeman is good enough for inter county level, Andy Moran may not be bak until later in the summer, (I hope), I know Kilcoyne was mentioned earlier, and I am aware that he is abroad, Maybe James horan will add him to the squad.

Crete Boom

Quote from: joemamas on April 26, 2013, 01:44:34 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 26, 2013, 12:36:08 PM
+1, He will be a big loss, great ballwinner, if the league semi-final is anything to go by, we are clutching at straws if we think that Regan is a potential replacement. Hopefully he may be one for the future, but on that appearance is seriously lacking in the physical stakes. Unfortunately, we are very light on replacements, I dont think Freeman is good enough for inter county level, Andy Moran may not be bak until later in the summer, (I hope), I know Kilcoyne was mentioned earlier, and I am aware that he is abroad, Maybe James horan will add him to the squad.

Regan looked the part against in the Kildare match in the league when most of the rest were doing there best not to and I wouldn't be worried if he was thrown in but he isn't as good a ball winner as Conroy although a better score taker.
Awful bad luck for Conroy as I always admired his workrate as much as his skill and I hope he back playing for the end of the club champinship as he will leave a huge void for Davits!

muppet

Two years ago Cillian wasn't even a starter. Now he is our most important forward.

Regan could kick on if given a chance just like O'Connor did. I wouldn't write him off at all yet.
MWWSI 2017

joemamas

Quote from: muppet on April 26, 2013, 02:35:49 PM
Two years ago Cillian wasn't even a starter. Now he is our most important forward.

Regan could kick on if given a chance just like O'Connor did. I wouldn't write him off at all yet.

Did not write him off, please see my comments. In reality it is a big ask to step up to intercounty level from U21.  He may be a few years away. I hope I am wrong, just really concerned about our lack of depth in forwards.

muppet

Quote from: joemamas on April 26, 2013, 02:39:56 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 26, 2013, 02:35:49 PM

Did not write him off, please see my comments. In reality it is a big ask to step up to intercounty level from U21.  He may be a few years away. I hope I am wrong, just really concerned about our lack of depth in forwards.

Quotewe are clutching at straws if we think that Regan is a potential replacement.

You hide your optimism well.

Start the lad, just like we did with O'Connor, who was also an U-21.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Galway have to be in with a shout. Mayo injuries and forward questions and galway can always focus for mayo.  I hope they give it bhfaca tu this year.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: seafoid on April 26, 2013, 07:39:32 PM
Galway have to be in with a shout. Mayo injuries and forward questions and galway can always focus for mayo.  I hope they give it bhfaca tu this year.

Galway in Salthill will be in with a shout. No mistake about it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 26, 2013, 09:35:08 PM

Pendulum swinging to Galway now - no doubt about it. We ve been struggling to get a balance in the forwards anyway so this is not going to help. Goin in without Andy, Conroy and Dillon not right either, is not likely to end well.

Regan should start if he stays injury free. My worry about him is that he hasn t been blooded enough. But he couldn t have got much more time because he s had serious injury isssues. He s bulked up a lot but he ll never be michelin man. If we can get him in the game he could be a match winner. Judging him on a few minutes v Dublin in league semi is very hasty. This lad now needs starts and full games and trust in his quality.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: moysider on April 26, 2013, 11:19:41 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 26, 2013, 09:35:08 PM

Pendulum swinging to Galway now - no doubt about it. We ve been struggling to get a balance in the forwards anyway so this is not going to help. Goin in without Andy, Conroy and Dillon not right either, is not likely to end well.

Dillon will surely play if he returned to club football last weekend.