Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 10, 2013, 11:21:37 PM
Quote from: Mayo Mick on May 10, 2013, 10:40:19 PM
Better get back to the game after working out how to get there.

Only a little over a week to go and still hard to get excited.  With the advent of the back door and the increasing gulf between ourselves and the rest,  games in Connacht for us are beginning to feel like games in Munster for Kerry. That said this is a game we just have to win and it could be tricky enough. Win and we can gear preparations to August  with the bonus of two games in Connacht that will give us time to fine tune things, get players back to fitness and maybe give a few players some game time experience. Lose and we have the uncertainty of the back door and not knowing who we play until a week before – hard to get the preparations right and hard to pitch the preparations for September.

We are a better team than Galway – we are on most people's short lists for the AI while Galway might not even come out of Connacht if they beat us. Yet if we don't put outfield dominance on the scoreboard there is always the chance that Galway with limited chances could punish us especially in Salthill. Vital that we keep it tight early on – a quick start from Galway is what I would fear most. Keep it low scoring for the first 20 minutes and I think we will  come through easily enough as we are stronger, pacier and more experienced regardless of what team we play. But let Galway get an early lead then their confidence will grow and it could be a struggle.

Hopefully we will come through and avoid any more injuries. We can then relax until the business end of things in August and September. Will be nice to have a stress free June and July for a change.

Ah Mayo Mick, our own version of Syferus.

Is Mayo Mick going soft.. since when did he start using hopefully when posting about Mayo  :o
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Only a little over a week to go and still hard to get excited.  With the advent of the back door and the increasing gulf between ourselves and the rest,  games in Connacht for us are beginning to feel like games in Munster for Kerry. That said this is a game we just have to win and it could be tricky enough. Win and we can gear preparations to August  with the bonus of two games in Connacht that will give us time to fine tune things, get players back to fitness and maybe give a few players some game time experience. Lose and we have the uncertainty of the back door and not knowing who we play until a week before – hard to get the preparations right and hard to pitch the preparations for September.

We are a better team than Galway – we are on most people's short lists for the AI while Galway might not even come out of Connacht if they beat us. Yet if we don't put outfield dominance on the scoreboard there is always the chance that Galway with limited chances could punish us especially in Salthill. Vital that we keep it tight early on – a quick start from Galway is what I would fear most. Keep it low scoring for the first 20 minutes and I think we will  come through easily enough as we are stronger, pacier and more experienced regardless of what team we play. But let Galway get an early lead then their confidence will grow and it could be a struggle.

Hopefully we will come through and avoid any more injuries. We can then relax until the business end of things in August and September. Will be nice to have a stress free June and July for a change.

I'll have you know I'm far more confident than some Mayo wasteral.

I didn't even think that needed typing, it's like saying you're taller than the biggest midget..

Mayo Mick

Look I think most Mayo supporters know that our c'ship starts in August this year and that anything before that is some routine housekeeping that must be attended to. Can't see us losing to Galway but I don't want to seem too cocky.

As regards posters from Ros the only thing they can be certain of is that they will never see their team in Croker on AI day. They can plan holidays in September without any problem.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on May 10, 2013, 11:29:00 PM

Is Mayo Mick going soft.. since when did he start using hopefully when posting about Mayo  :o

That is the most reticent post by Mayo Mick of all time.

Maybe we re in worse shape than I thought?

Only messin Mick.

ross4life

Quote from: Mayo Mick on May 11, 2013, 12:15:01 AM
Look I think most Mayo supporters know that our c'ship starts in August this year and that anything before that is some routine housekeeping that must be attended to. Can't see us losing to Galway but I don't want to seem too cocky.
Thats more like it Mick trust me you will never be seen as cocky.

As regards posters from Ros the only thing they can be certain of is that they will never see their team in Croker on AI day. They can plan holidays in September without any problem.
We seen our minors in Croker on AI day in 2006 then had to watch Kerry win another senior AI. Our seniors are still another 5 years off Mayos wait 1951-1989.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on May 11, 2013, 12:51:08 AM

We seen our minors in Croker on AI day in 2006 then had to watch Kerry win another senior AI. Our seniors are still another 5 years off Mayos wait 1951-1989.

I was there. I saw your minors win that day. I saw Kerry win another senior AI.

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on May 11, 2013, 01:31:04 AM
Quote from: ross4life on May 11, 2013, 12:51:08 AM

I was there. I saw your minors win that day. I saw Kerry win another senior AI.

Thats strange the rest of us saw a draw.

GalwayBayBoy

I think you've lost that battle buddy.

seafoid

Probably the same person. Must be from Ballagh.

AMayoFan

Does anyone know what is the injury situation for Mayo? Who will be available and who will not?  I believe Conroy is out, Dillion is unlikely, A Moran only starting full contact training, so unlikely. Will B Moran & Higgins be back?

Mayo will need to demonstrate better scoring ability and maintain there ability to create goal chances. I know Michael Meehan is just back, but a player of his quality will cause Mayo lots of problems.  I also really hope it's a fine day, as Meehan is astounding in the wet. His handling on a wet ball is next to none (Remember Galway V Kerry in '08, in the end Kerry just about gave up marking him  ;)). 

Mayo defect to Dublin in league semi-final showed up some weak points; one of those being when players marked man to man and they ran at us from the wings (Higgins was really missed).  I see Galway adopting a similar tactic.  This is going to be tight game (for the most part), Galway are far better than their form is showing.  That said, I've high hopes for Mayo, and I like to see them being pushed hard and being able to handle the Galway challenge.  I also hope we do not have more questions than answers come Sunday evening!!!

From the Bunker

You have to love Mayo Mick..... ''the increasing gulf between ourselves and the rest,  games in Connacht for us are beginning to feel like games in Munster for Kerry''. Has he been at any of the games in Connacht over the last two years? There was little or nothing between ourselves and Sligo last year. Jez, we got a dodgy point to make the game sorta safe. And Barry Moran had to take a Red to stop Sligo getting in on goal in the last couple of minutes. The Year before - 2011 we beat Roscommon by two points in the Connacht final, That year we needed extra time to beat London! Look we have a decent bunch, but get off your high horse, cause the fall at the first fence could hurt your ego!

galwayman

QuoteI know Michael Meehan is just back, but a player of his quality will cause Mayo lots of problems.

I wish it wasn't so but Mikey is not the player he was. I don't think we will see too much more of him in the maroon and white unfortunately.

AMayoFan

QuoteI know Michael Meehan is just back, but a player of his quality will cause Mayo lots of problems.

QuoteI wish it wasn't so but Mikey is not the player he was. I don't think we will see too much more of him in the maroon and white unfortunately.

From a Mayo perspective I hope not to see too much of him this Sunday lol.  Still though, he needs watching, and disrupt the ball that comes into him.

From the Bunker

Quote from: AMayoFan on May 13, 2013, 01:01:13 PM

QuoteI wish it wasn't so but Mikey is not the player he was. I don't think we will see too much more of him in the maroon and white unfortunately.

From a Mayo perspective I hope not to see too much of him this Sunday lol.  Still though, he needs watching, and disrupt the ball that comes into him.

Not that worried about Michael Meehan. It's been years since the Kerry game and god the lad has been in constant recovery, rehab year in year out since.  You'd have to feel for the lad. Especially the expectation on him, which probably over the years forced him to return early from injury not fully recovered and have not helped the chronic injury problems that have blighted him.

Syferus

Even if his legs aren't what they were he has a football brain second to none. Exactly the sort of player that'll pop up with the crucial scores on a big day.