Cavan vs. Armagh, Sun. May 19, Breffni Park, Ulster c'ship prelim

Started by Oraisteach, April 11, 2013, 01:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

What did Grimley say after the match?

From the papers today it sounds like he had decided back some time ago to try to combat teams who play a sweeper by letting his man follow the forward (sweeper) back into his own defence. This "pushing up" tactic was a bold decision I suppose as its like we now have an extra player in the scoring zone, however he got burnt and learnt that even if you don't like it, its near impossible to combat this style game unless you play the same tactic yourself. Donegal have won an AI playing this way.

The other side of this is of course we only have 5 defenders v 5 attackers but there is much more space for their forwards.
How to Crossmaglen normally deal with the other team playing a sweeper?
Do they let the guy just go back and keep the spare man in his own defence then?

It sounds like he was just pig headed stubborn and not at least changing McKenna off Dunne. I wonder what players like McKeever & Aaron Kernan made of it all? I read somewhere Donaghy isn't too happy with the tactics decision during the league.

maddog

Well done Cavan, clearly the better side on the day and good luck for remainder.

Cannot believe the space Cavan full forward line was given. In the past when you watched Armagh without the ball you knew there was a fair chance that someone would get a hand in somewhere and we would win back possession. Yesterday if Cavan got the ball on their own 21 you knew that the end of that move was going to be at the very least a shot for Cavan, i.e there was no chance of Armagh winning back possession. Where the hell was the tackling ? Looking for Clarke everytime is not going to win us anything.
Big improvement needed the next day whoever we get.

naka

It sounds like he was just pig headed stubborn and not at least changing McKenna off Dunne. I wonder what players like McKeever & Aaron Kernan made of it all? I read somewhere Donaghy isn't too happy with the tactics decision during the league.
[/quote]
ak wasnt happy
in irish times ak said
"ideally we should play a sweeper...."
he doesnt accept this mantra of all out attack
we will be roasted in june by carlow or somebody and another year will be wasted.

thejuice

It was odd listening to a manager basically saying, "I knew what was wrong and I knew how to fix it, but  I didn't want to do it."

Or "I would do anything to win but I wont do that."
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Count 10

Quote from: thejuice on May 20, 2013, 04:41:16 PM
It was odd listening to a manager basically saying, "I knew what was wrong and I knew how to fix it, but  I didn't want to do it."

Or "I would do anything to win but I wont do that."

Wasn't that a Meat Loaf song? ;D

I'll get my coat!

Fuzzman

A good few Dubs I spoke to today are a tad worried now after seeing what can happen if ye don't follow the mob and play a sweeper, though in fairness they weren't as wide open in the league final.

I could be wrong but to me it sounds like Grimley, is a bit like the older ex players who won't give in to the idea that 6 on 6 is the best way to play gaelic football.
Spillane took a lot of persuading over the last 3 years or so that modern football needs to have some sort of system of play and even now Cork & Kerry have changed their ways as you only really appreciate how effective it is after you lose to a team playing it like Donegal or Tyrone.

I suppose Grimley's attitude was that Armagh have still got some very good defenders and we should be able to at least make it harder for them to shoot, under pressure. If he had kept the 6th defender in around their own 40 it could have been so different.

You could certainly see a player revolt in the weeks ahead if they don't reach some sort of an agreement between themselves.

armaghniac

QuoteWhat did Grimley say after the match?
From the papers today it sounds like he had decided back some time ago to try to combat teams who play a sweeper by letting his man follow the forward (sweeper) back into his own defence. This "pushing up" tactic was a bold decision I suppose as its like we now have an extra player in the scoring zone, however he got burnt and learnt that even if you don't like it, its near impossible to combat this style game unless you play the same tactic yourself

Newstalk 43:0 mins in or so http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/19/1244/19th_May_2013_-_Newstalk_Sport_Part_5

BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/22588219

RTÉ
http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=9:3535159:0::

Basically we'll go forward, no plan B. I've set my stall out and I wouldn't be much of a manager if I abandoned it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

As an Armagh man, I would love to say the only way is up. But if PG persists with the same tactic then we could be in for a further dip.

I would think any team would be happy to get Armagh in the Qualifiers.

As for Cavan, let me first apologise for any rude supporters. Cavan is a nice little harmless county.  And so is your football team, which is why unfortunately you will get beat by plucky wee Fermanagh.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

BarryBreensBandage

As a neutral I found the game very enjoyable to watch for a first round c'ship game.
And, in my opinion, Armagh weren't as bad as everyone is making out.

When they were just 3 points behind, they had the foot on the gas, and missed four very kickable frees, the worst coming from Aaron Kernan - the last fella you would expect to miss.

At that stage they had the share of midfield, your man Rafferty (No.23 I think?) looks a really good prospect, and add in Clarke's disallowed goal, you could say that Armagh could have won the game, whilst not playing at their best.

But who does play at their best at this time of year?

The only thing I couldn't forgive them for was the lack of tackling when Cavan were on the attack - not a hand was put on them, not even a cynical foul. But again, Cavan passing on the attack was top notch and very hard to defend against. They stuck to their counter attacking, confident that they could implement it.

They did the same to Down U21s and it could just be that Cavan have a very good set of players who know how to play football.

Armagh have played plenty of poor games in the past ten years and won, maybe that know-how was missing yesterday.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

stew

Quote from: rrhf on May 20, 2013, 04:22:14 PM
I feel sorry for grimley.  He has been a good  servant to Armagh, Monaghan. Meath, Cavan and others. I just think his ideas are so 2002. After this year The scene is set for the return of the mc. Step forward k mc geeney and teach these cubs how to defend. I dont think they will win any more this year however we must remember that there will be a big boost when Jamie Clarke gets back from his holidays.

FACK AFF you horror story!!!!!!! Feeling bad enough. :'(

That Clarke comment made me laugh out loud though, very droll.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Orior on May 20, 2013, 05:47:04 PM
As an Armagh man, I would love to say the only way is up. But if PG persists with the same tactic then we could be in for a further dip.

As for Cavan, let me first apologise for any rude supporters. Cavan is a nice little harmless county.  And so is your football team, which is why unfortunately you will get beat by plucky wee Fermanagh.

You think so, fair enough ??? Ye were all pretty confident of beating Cavan yesterday too.

rrhf

Was this the best individual performance again Armagh since frank the king mc guigan scored 5 with the left 5 with the right and a header.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Orior on May 20, 2013, 05:47:04 PM

Don't bite lads,Orior is fishing for some Cavan reactions to his condescending post.  ;D

ck

Here's the reality missed by many!
Grimley is a 2nd rate manager (at best). There are a few ex Armagh players currently managing other county teams yet Armagh give the job to a Down man (POR) then follow it up by appointing a man who has never managed a county team before. Just look at Grimleys record this year,,, Grimley comes in and bans his students from playing with their colleges in the McKenna, they proceed to loose all their games. He then enters NFL and again under achieves narrowly avoiding relegation. He then trumps it all by loosing to Cavan in the first round of the C'ship. Could his record be any worse?
He was on the news today saying this was "a project". A PROJECT?! This is a county who won an All-Ireland minor 4 years ago. This is a county who has access to Cross players. Look through their team and you see a bunch of very talented players. Grimleys conclusion that this is a project is just a cop out from "a manager who is way out of his depth" to quote Joe Brolly.
Grimley out for the sake of Armagh football.