AFL Season 2013

Started by Aerlik, March 22, 2013, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Massive, massive blow for Sydney Swans ahead of the game on Saturday with the news that Adam Goodes has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a knee injury sustained three months ago.    Hopefully he'll be back but I feel his best is now behind him.

He was planning to play for the Indigenous team this year but that, too, is over. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

spuds

Geelong Port Adelaide on ESPN now.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

All of a Sludden

Quote from: spuds on September 13, 2013, 10:58:04 AM
Geelong Port Adelaide on ESPN now.

Don't think Hawthorn will be too worried by Geelong after today's game.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Aerlik

The Semi-Final stage - except it wasn't the semi-final, it was more like a quarter-final with four teams...oh don't worry about it I'll explain in a wee while.  This is Australia!

Geelong 96-80 Port Adelaide

For the whole first half I sat there perplexed thinking to myself, "they're going to do it, they're bloody well going to do this" such was the intensity of the Power's efforts.  The Cats just didn't seem to have an answer.  Then the third quarter aka "the premiership quarter" started and the Cats kicked four straight goals and never looked back.  Their third quarter was great and the Power just did not have an answer to the big power forwards of Podsiadly and Hawkins as well as Johnson and Bartel - what a player he is. 
In the final quarter the Power came back and for a few minutes there was a glimmer of hope.  But that faded. 

Sydney 86-62 Carlton

When Sydney lost big full-forward Kurt Tippett with a knee injury in the first few minutes of the first quarter and Carlton were matching them all over the pitch, it seemed that just maybe the Blues were going to continue their great form from last week and upset the odds.  Then in the very last seconds of the quarter the superb, and sadly retiring, Jude Bolton kicked a wobbly grubber and the Swans never looked back.  Indeed they held the Blues scoreless for the whole third quarter - the first time that Blues' coach, Mick Malthouse has ever had a team "accomplish" that feat.  This was powerful stuff from the Swans.  They were a clean 54 points up at the end of the third quarter and their destiny was pretty much decided.  Or was it?  The Blues came out in the final quarter and just as they did against Richmond the week before, laid siege on the Swans goals and kicked three early goals.  Suddenly things started to get interesting.  However some poor kicking from Carlton proved to be their undoing in the end and the Swans survived.  The best team on the night definitely deserved the win.  And with that defeat Zac Tuohy's season ends.  Whilst he was kept very quiet tonight - perhaps indicative of his progress this season- he can look back on a fabulous  effort all year.  There is a lot to be optimistic about for Zac in the future.

So, here we are just two weeks left in the season and as history has shown in the Play-offs format, the top 4 teams - the best teams all year- are in the Preliminary Finals next weekend (ie the Semi-finals, as we would call it).

First on show is the game that EVERYONE - except us Freo faithful thought would be the Grand Final (well all but one of the Freo faithful thought otherwise, apparently.  That one being ahem moi; too many years of suffering agonising losses and total capitulations have left some of us permanently scarred.)  Hawthorn play Geelong on Friday night.  Then, on Saturday the biggest game in Freo's chequered history, we play Sydney.  If ever the club has the chance to make the Grand Final this is it.  Mini-me and 43,000 screaming Freo fans will be there willing the boys on.  The week off and a fully fit panel is leading to a lot of interest in the game, but I am going to maintain the stance of Ross Lyon of taking one game at a time.

Hopefully this time next week I will be back on here with good news.  But, one game at a time. 

(And I hope to fekk I get rid of this bloody awful cold and cough I have - got some serious roaring to do). ;)

Aerlik

The Brisbane Lions have announced that the club will be de-listing (ie. not renewing the contract of) Niall McKeever.  I haven't heard what the big man's intentions are but if he goes home he'll be a massive boost to Portglenone and Antrim.

20/9/2013
This just put on the AFL website:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-20/lion-mckeever-heading-home-to-ireland

It's all over for Niall.   Ah well, thanks for that brilliant moment v. the trash down the road.

All of a Sludden

Hawks through to the Grand Final. 25 point turn around in the final quarter. Cracking game of football.

All of a Sludden

Aerlik will be smiling tonight. Freo are through to the grand final.

Aerlik

;D

And then there were two.  As befitting the Top 4 teams all year, the two Preliminary Finals were great games of Aussie Rules.  They had everything; great tackles, great passes, great marks, great scores.  And someone is happy.  Bloody happy.

Hawthorn 102-97 Geelong
Fekk me.   Where do I start?  See-saw, ebb and flow, up and down whatever way you want to call it this was some spectacle.  The game had everything and even as a biased (who?  me?) one-eyed Freo fan, I sat at the edge of my settee throughout the two hours of pure entertainment.  Much was made of the Kennett's curse when the former President of the Hawthorn footy club made some disparaging remarks about Geelong not having the quality to beat Hawthorn.  13 losses on-the-trot later and finally Hawthorn have secured that elusive "one-in-a-row" win and what a time to do it.  But imagine the thoughts going through the minds of the Geelong players; at one stage in the second quarter they led my a  truckful only for Hawthorn to come back and take the lead, then the Cats powered ahead in the third and ended the period 20 points up and seemingly in control.  But what a turnaround in the final quarter.  The Hawks kicked 4-8 to 1-1 and seemed home.  Then came the moment that changed the game.  With only a goal between the teams, Travis Varco had a shot straight on goal only to see it go for a behind.  A few seconds later, game over.  Awful luck. 
For a team of such talent, this Hawks team has seriously underperformed on the big stage.  It is bursting with serious talent but seems to choke at the crucial moments.  Will this year see the team perform as expected?  We shall see.

FREMANTLE 99 -74 Sydney :D :D :D :D :D
Yep, someone is happy.  Bloody happy.  I'm not actually sure if I am enjoying this win just yet because my eardrums are still bursting and my throat is fekked from all the shouting.  But Christ folks, it was worth it.   Nineteen years Freo have waited (thirteen for me). 43,000 crammed into the stadium and with the interest in the game you could have gotten another 43,000 there too.  The atmosphere and the noise throughout was superb.  For many it would be the last time they see the lads this year as the trip to Melbourne has become extortionately and unjustifiably expensive with airlines pumping up their airfares by a massive 5 times.  A month ago I could have got mini-me and I to Melbourne for $800 return.  As I write,  the basic fare is over $4400 return  >:(.
Anyways the game was one of a specific quarter.  The second.  In that period, Freo held the champions to a solitary point, kicked in the last two minutes, while adding on 5-2.  Sydney never recovered.  Indeed the final score flattered the champs as Freo began resting its players in the last quarter.
Enough was done.
On a night of extreme emotion - there were no tears though - the dignity of the Freo faithful (and we have had to keep the faith cos it has been rough in the past) came to light nationally as the Sydney superstar Jude Bolton retired from the game and was chaired off to thunderous applause of a still packed stadium with a guard of honour from both his teammates and the Freo players.

And so, the expected Goliath, Hawthorn plays the unexpected David, Fremantle next week in arguably the biggest sporting occasion in the nation.  And I will be there.

Jesus, my throat is wrecked.

Yep, someone is happy.  Bloody happy.  FREO ABU.
(Anyone see my banner on ESPN?)

lfdown2

Seen the banner, took a pic of it, will try and get it up soon

Aerlik

Yeeeha,
the tickets have been confirmed and the road trip begins.  Mini-me, a group of 9 friends and I set off on Wednesday morning to drive two days to Melbourne as the airlines have bumped up their airfaires eightfold.  Thieving barstewards.  What an experience it is going to be.
And if we play like we did for three quarters before finally giving the Sydney score a bit of respectability, maybe, just maybe things will turn out as planned.

Freo Abu  ;)

PS, the game should be on ESPN.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Aerlik on September 22, 2013, 04:41:10 PM
Yeeeha,
the tickets have been confirmed and the road trip begins.  Mini-me, a group of 9 friends and I set off on Wednesday morning to drive two days to Melbourne as the airlines have bumped up their airfaires eightfold.  Thieving barstewards.  What an experience it is going to be.
And if we play like we did for three quarters before finally giving the Sydney score a bit of respectability, maybe, just maybe things will turn out as planned.

Freo Abu  ;)

Enjoy the long journey fck the airlines, won't be complaining if ye win ;)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Club Rossa

I would be worried that beating Geelong and the manner of it will take too much out of the Hawks.They had to empty the tank and I'm sure they will need a good few days to get over it.Freo sailed through on Saturday and were able to slack off in the final quarter.

FermGael

Yeeeha,

Freo Abu  ;)

Some drive.
Did it myself about 6 years ago but took a week at it
enjoy and stop for nothing
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

All of a Sludden

The game is on ESPN on Saturday morning, coverage starts at 05:00, sky+ it is.

HeaveHo

Yeeeha,

Freo Abu  ;)

Aerlik

A travel agent in Joondalup was organising a charter flight at $1200 per head. That is a bit cheaper than the current offerings. If that falls within the budget you should be giving them a ring. I have the flyer at home if you need more details.

I did see your sign on Saturday night. I was a little disappointed in the lads easing down in the last but I suppose there was nothing to be gained by slaughtering them by more.