AFL Season 2013

Started by Aerlik, March 22, 2013, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Thanks HeaveHo,
but even that is still out of range for the two of us. 

The auld banner has been doing the rounds on Thewest.com.au, too.  Haha. 

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

All of a Sludden

Gold Coast midfield star Gary Ablett has won his second Brownlow Medal for the AFL's fairest and best player.

Ablett won a nailbiting 2013 count with 28 votes by one vote from former Geelong teammate Joel Selwood, with Collingwood's Dane Swan third a further vote behind.

Ablett has become the first Gold Coast player to win the AFL's most prestigious individual award.

He won his first Brownlow in 2009 when a Geelong player, and becomes only the fifth man to win the medal with different clubs.

Ablett led for most of the count, but Selwood took the lead in a cliffhanger with two rounds of voting remaining.

Selwood held the lead going into the final round on 27, with Ablett two votes behind on 25.

But he failed to poll in the Cats' final match of the home-and-away season, while Ablett polled the maximum three votes in the Suns' win over Greater Western Sydney.

Swan, also a former Brownlow Medallist, was also in contention going into the final round of voting but he too failed to poll in Collingwood's final match.

Ablett, 29, admitted he would have loved to have shared the award with former teammate Selwood – something which looked in prospect for much of the final four nervous rounds of voting.

"I was actually shattered when I got the three (votes in the final round) – because Joel deserves to be up here just as much as I do," Ablett said.

"He's a very good friend and a fantastic leader."

For the Suns, in just their third season in the AFL, it gives them an individual award double after first-year youngster Jaeger O'Meara won the Rising Star award for the competition's best young player.

Ablett, the son of former Geelong superstar forward Gary Ablett senior, also paid tribute to his father – and was at pains to lay to rest any thoughts of comparison between himself and his dad.

"I do (get sick of the comparisons) because there shouldn't be any comparisons. My old man's the best player ever to play the game and he should have won a Brownlow," Ablett junior said.

"Now I've got two, I can give him one."

Geelong star Steve Johnson, who was ineligible for the award after three suspensions during the season, was also high in the polling.

He received 25 votes from 16 matches, having missed four games through several indiscretions throughout the season.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Never beat the deeler

Just to add to the Brownlow note - Pearce Hanley ended great season (personally anyways) with a credible 8 votes, after winning the Brisbane Lions members player of the year and losing out on the overall Lions B&F by a single point, even though he played in two less games than Joel Patfull.
Hasta la victoria siempre

HeaveHo

Quote from: Aerlik on September 23, 2013, 09:32:12 AM
Thanks HeaveHo,
but even that is still out of range for the two of us. 

The auld banner has been doing the rounds on Thewest.com.au, too.  Haha.

Enjoy the drive. It gets a bit boring for about 2,000 kms after Southern Cross but when you are singing the club song at 5pm on Saturday it will all be worth it. 

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Aerlik

Seven of us are drivers so we will be able to share the load.
HeaveHo, watch SBS Sports on Thursday or Friday night as there might be a familiar face.   :P
Also, Check out the Irish Echo perhaps this week but definitely the next edition.  I'm saying nothing. ;)

Right, the wane is asleep, the bags are packed and finally I'm ready to head off to the game I wasn't sure I'd ever attend as a Fremantle Dockers Football Club member.

Never in my wildest dreams however many pages ago did I imagine I would be finally going to cheer on my team in the AFL Grand Final.

There are memories of 1993 when I made the considerably shorter trip from the UK to Dublin to watch Derry.  And, unlike the big Victorian Clubs, the fan base of Freo is very localised (with Freo "ex-pats" based in Melbourne too) giving it a very special feeling.

This will be the last post for me until the aftermath.  All through the season I have been saying that the winner would either be Geelong or Hawthorn.  Well, I have a 50% chance of being correct. 

If we win, feel free to shower accolades.  If we lose, go easy on me. 

Freo abú
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Never beat the deeler

Enjoy the weekend Aerlik. By the sounds of things here at work and among my mates, you'll have plenty of company on the road!!

AlriteHorse

Safe driving Aerlik. Heading that direction......kind of......for the long weekend. Just hoping I get down in time to see the game.

Just seen on Facebook that the Irish club are "opening early for coverage of the Fremantle Dockers vs Melbourne Swans in the Grand Final". Not sure where to start with that one! Someone's in for a lot of abuse anyway!
Allez les bleus! Forza azzurri!

Declan

Best of luck Aerlik and thanks for all the updates during the season.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: AlriteHorse on September 25, 2013, 06:22:17 AM
Safe driving Aerlik. Heading that direction......kind of......for the long weekend. Just hoping I get down in time to see the game.

Just seen on Facebook that the Irish club are "opening early for coverage of the Fremantle Dockers vs Melbourne Swans in the Grand Final". Not sure where to start with that one! Someone's in for a lot of abuse anyway!

Haha saw that alright - they quickly followed up by clarifying they meant Sydney Swans!! Obv major footy fans...

See the pubs in Freo are all opening at 7:30 am on Grand Final Day - bounce isn't till 12:30. Be some craic round the place!

stephenite

There was some buzz in Melbourne airport this afternoon with each plane full of both sets of supporters. Driver was telling people were flying from Perth via Brisbane, Sydney and even Singapore!!

Was a shame to be heading back.

Enjoy the occasion Aerlik, Freo abu

JimStynes

any streams for the final?

laoislad

I'm watching it on ESPN.
Looks like Hawthorn have it won. 18 ahead with 6 mins left.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

lynchbhoy

Hope out enjoy it Aerlik

Enjoyed your great posts this season on here keeping up up to date!
Hope you win