Mayo v Donegal - McHale Park - 24th Mar 2013

Started by RMDrive, March 19, 2013, 07:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMDrive

An important game for both teams. 2 points will see Donegal safe in Division 1 for next year, a loss means that we'll need to beat the Dubs 2 weeks later in order to be sure of staying up.
It's a simple must-win for Mayo and I expect them to respond positively to their collapse against Kildare. They were a decent left-footed free-taker away from a victory and despite all the doom and gloom that was spoken about in Rocky's on Saturday, we all know that a couple of victories against ourselves and Cork will have the Mayo boys back in positive form again!  :D

cadence

will be tight, but i'm expecting a home win. we haven't really clicked going forward yet, even if the signs are more promising, so i think mayo will have that wee bit too much for us at this stage.

be nice to stay up like, but it's all about our prep for the big show come may.

From the Bunker

Well Donegal have two wins under their belt against Kerry and Down, the two teams with no form so far in the league. This weekend I expect them to add a third with no form - Mayo to that list. Donegal have to beat Mayo or face have to get safety points from Dublin two weeks later. Donegal win! 

Farrandeelin

Quote from: cadence on March 19, 2013, 07:54:36 PM
will be tight, but i'm expecting a home win. we haven't really clicked going forward yet, even if the signs are more promising, so i think mayo will have that wee bit too much for us at this stage.

And you think Mayo have??
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Watched the Donegal v Cork game today and apart from the first five minutes and last five minutes, Donegal were awfully poor. If Mayo can pull the finger out, we could take two points here.

highorlow

QuoteIf Mayo can pull the fingureer out how to play football again

Corrected that for you.

On a side note what's that new Kerryman's function in the Mayo set-up?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

Quote from: highorlow on March 20, 2013, 12:49:11 PM
QuoteIf Mayo can pull the fingureer out how to play football again

Corrected that for you.

On a side note what's that new Kerryman's function in the Mayo set-up?

I assume he is there in a coaching capacity. He is considered one of the elite coaches. Apparently he s the bee's knees for defensive drills and strategies.

what was noticable v Kildare is how far advances some of these teams are compared to us.

In the second half Kildare forwards pressed up on the Mayo defenders in possession making it very difficult for us to keep posssession at times and ensuring we were slow on the counter attack. Yet they still managed to have an extra man cover at the back. Some workrate that.

highorlow

QuoteI assume he is there in a coaching capacity. He is considered one of the elite coaches. Apparently he s the bee's knees for defensive drills and strategies.

If the strategy is to run into defenders with the ball and avoid going for goals then the man is a genius.

I think for this next game we now know our best midfield and probably our best forward line for now. Based on this I think a good performance and even a win might change the mood among supporters and the last 3 match's will be forgotten quickly and could be put down to 'experimentation'.

What we don't want to see is the same mistakes that have been made over the last 3 games. If the management and team haven't learned from these mistakes at this stage of the year then things would start to become worrying.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

muppet

Worse than Heffo and Dinny Breen put together.

Donegal by 12.
MWWSI 2017

cadence

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 19, 2013, 09:06:28 PM

And you think Mayo have??

no but playing at home gives you an advantage.

cadence

Quote from: muppet on March 20, 2013, 04:34:46 PM

we've not been good
Quote from: muppet on March 20, 2013, 04:34:46 PM

Worse than Heffo and Dinny Breen put together.

Donegal by 12.

ah come on... two out of form sides, one of them playing at home, a very thoughtful assessment i'd say.

cadence

Quote from: highorlow on March 20, 2013, 03:26:16 PM
QuoteI assume he is there in a coaching capacity. He is considered one of the elite coaches. Apparently he s the bee's knees for defensive drills and strategies.

If the strategy is to run into defenders with the ball and avoid going for goals then the man is a genius.

I think for this next game we now know our best midfield and probably our best forward line for now. Based on this I think a good performance and even a win might change the mood among supporters and the last 3 match's will be forgotten quickly and could be put down to 'experimentation'.

What we don't want to see is the same mistakes that have been made over the last 3 games. If the management and team haven't learned from these mistakes at this stage of the year then things would start to become worrying.

you'll be much more like you were last year and be playing more of a pressing game i reckon. the pressing game is very intense and mayo players need great fitness for hounding players on the ball. because you'll be getting gradually fitter and are in need of the points, i'd expect you to play more of a pressing game, which means trouble for us i think.

cadence

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 19, 2013, 10:10:19 PM
Watched the Donegal v Cork game today and apart from the first five minutes and last five minutes, Donegal were awfully poor. If Mayo can pull the finger out, we could take two points here.

i'd agree with that, and so would eamonn mcgee...

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/sport/local-sport/cork-were-the-better-team-mcgee-1-4908160

rosnarun

Quote from: highorlow on March 20, 2013, 03:26:16 PM

our only salvation at this point is the hope that  mayo are learning a new defensive system and they havent really got it yet. they certainly have forgotten the old one.
when is the last time mayo beat donegal anyway . i can cant see to rember any victory since i became incarcerated in the hellhole  12 years ago
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

J70

Pretty sure they've beaten us in the league in Castlebar in the past few years,  possibly the year before or after Eamonn McGee scored an injury time goal down there to won us the points. Might have been 2007, when we got our revenge in the final!

But yes, we've a good record against Mayo!