Mayo v Donegal - McHale Park - 24th Mar 2013

Started by RMDrive, March 19, 2013, 07:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

I can't see it changing on Sunday either J70.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

J70

Really?

Mayo are at home and more desperate than us, who aren't firing on all cylinders either! McGuinness plainly cares little for the league, beyond preparing for the championship and, if possible, scraping survival. I don't see the reasons for zero optimism from a Mayo perspective, especially as we gave Dublin after that.

From the Bunker

Quote from: J70 on March 21, 2013, 04:07:50 PM
Really?

Mayo are at home and more desperate than us, who aren't firing on all cylinders either! McGuinness plainly cares little for the league, beyond preparing for the championship and, if possible, scraping survival. I don't see the reasons for zero optimism from a Mayo perspective, especially as we gave Dublin after that.

Mayo were desperate (for points) last week as well. Ah, it's not just happening at the moment. We are waiting for the return of the old Mayo (well, of the last two years). Last year we had a stinker against Donegal. McGuinness in his interview after the game, made little of the result saying Mayo and Donegal were on different roads to peaking for the Championship!

J70

I remember last year's game. Some of you boys here were calling for Horan's head in the aftermath! Thankfully (for youse) saner heads prevailed!

Zulu

Mayo team: Clarke, Barrett, Cafferkey, Higgins, Keegan, Cunniffe, Boyle, Moran, S.OShea, McLoughlin, A.OShea, Carolan, O'Connor, Doherty, Conroy.

Aiden O'Se named at CF again and Cillian O'Connor named with the U21 game on the day before.

spuds

The use of the squad has been questionable so far in the league. O'Connor back from injury expected to play 2 games in 2 days, Alan Murphy wasting his time in the squad ? Evan Regan called ashore too early last weekend at least has the excuse of playing today with 21s. Barrett struggling at times being persevered with over giving a run to others. Higgins and Caff always start, what happens for example if our first choice fullback gets injured ?
Surely Keegan should of been tried at 6. For all Cuniffe's athleticism he loses his man too often and the centre is not held either.
Good to see Cathal Carolan getting a few runs, taking his scores very well even if not getting on the ball a huge amount.
No obvious no.11 appearing which might explain persevering with AOS there but personally think he should be at midfield with the brother tried again at 11.
If we are in experimental mode surely we should be trying out Higgins at wingback or 6 etc. 2 games left now so our position on league table might take precedence over experimentation.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Farrandeelin

Fair enough spuds, but I don't think AOS can play as effectively at no 11 than midfield. I'm sure we pretty much all agree with that. But Horan seems to be trying to experiment with that again. You mentioned Alan Murphy, what about Michael Walsh? I'm not sure he's too happy sitting on the bench either. Kevinn McLoughlin seems like he can do no wrong in Horan's eyes either. He hasn't played too well in my opinion yet in any of the games in the league this year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 23, 2013, 02:55:38 PM
Fair enough spuds, but I don't think AOS can play as effectively at no 11 than midfield. I'm sure we pretty much all agree with that. But Horan seems to be trying to experiment with that again. You mentioned Alan Murphy, what about Michael Walsh? I'm not sure he's too happy sitting on the bench either. Kevinn McLoughlin seems like he can do no wrong in Horan's eyes either. He hasn't played too well in my opinion yet in any of the games in the league this year.
Dunno, Farr, you don't think AOS is a centre forward and I don't think so either but James Horan doesn't agree and it's his call to make.
He just has too have some long-term objective in mind and  I haven't a clue as to what he has in mind.
I think midfield will be between the O'Sé lads and Barry Moran when the summer comes and all of them are worth a place. Aidan can try bulldozing time after time and yet he can be a fine distributor of the ball at times. If Horan perseveres with him at CF it will mean a complete re-jigging of his forward strategy and with Alan and Andy still to come into the reckoning it's hard to know what he'll land up with.
I'd say Donie Vaughan is sweating right now s Cunniffe is looking good for no. 6 but, overall, I can't see too many changes when we face Galway.
However, I hope they focus on winning tomorrow and let the future turn up what it will.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

theticklemister

J70

Very poor last 20 mins there from Donegal. Very sloppy with their passing, balls bouncing away from them, second best in a lot of 50-50s, just don't look sharp. Mayo corner forwards doing very well winning ball and their midfield and half-backs are cleaning up. Donegal need to up things if they want to avoid having to get something against Dublin.

maigheo

mayo well up for this game  but Donegal giving away alot of ball.Could have done with jason Doc hitting the net .

cadence

some of our passing is wayward alright. we're rushing them before their time. the wides we've that i've seen haven't been that bad. bradley missed one there he made for himself but you don't mind that, the shot was on. same with the kavanagh one. it's the passing. too casual.

good enough contest though.

J70

This commentator is just randomly selecting names of Donegal players!  :o

cadence

lot of soft frees being given by this ref for both sides. let them get on with it ffs.

Tubberman

Duffy is acting the bollocks - what was the point of calling back that free.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."