Mayo v Donegal - McHale Park - 24th Mar 2013

Started by RMDrive, March 19, 2013, 07:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: sans pessimism on March 25, 2013, 01:31:34 PM
McGee's injury yday looked serious enough.any news on him

Apparently dislocated the kneecap, but it slipped back into place after the game.

I've no idea what damage was done or how long he'll be put.

rosnarun

Disgracefull behaviour by one of the donegal backs yesterday When he gouged and then stood on the Arm of a Mayo player .Video seriously needs to be looked at by the Powers that be.
Duffy was so busy Giving frees for feck all he missed the major act of foul play.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

cadence

Quote from: rosnarun on March 25, 2013, 02:05:13 PM
Disgracefull behaviour by one of the donegal backs yesterday When he gouged and then stood on the Arm of a Mayo player .Video seriously needs to be looked at by the Powers that be.
Duffy was so busy Giving frees for feck all he missed the major act of foul play.

ref didn't have a good game. every time i watch a game he refs he blows away all day for nothing and then does nothing about the bad fouls. he's consistent i'll give him that.

Crete Boom

Quote from: cadence on March 25, 2013, 03:29:56 PM

ref didn't have a good game. every time i watch a game he refs he blows away all day for nothing and then does nothing about the bad fouls. he's consistent i'll give him that.

+1 Cadence then the players get frustrated in a stop start game and the inevitable few bad fouls start coming with a couple of players getting the line (only after a good few bad challenges are let go). Myself I don't see the black card rule improving the standard of referee's anytime soon!

cadence

just re where donegal are atm. if ever there was a good defeat to have it was this one. to be beaten, and beaten well by mayo, who seemed to be relishing a bit of slagging going into the final minute or so, and why shouldn't they, is a good thing. yesterday shouldn't hurt us at all, we're not as good as mayo, and a few others atm. we should accept that. what yesterday has done is highlight again to the players, if that was ever needed becasue they know themselves, what areas need working on. we've been poor to a man going forward, repeatedly making bad decisions with the ball. it's one more step towards tyrone and if we sort out our attacks by then, which i'd expect us to, we'll be a handful for them.   

cadence

Quote from: Crete Boom on March 25, 2013, 03:34:35 PM
Quote from: cadence on March 25, 2013, 03:29:56 PM

+1 Cadence then the players get frustrated in a stop start game and the inevitable few bad fouls start coming with a couple of players getting the line (only after a good few bad challenges are let go). Myself I don't see the black card rule improving the standard of referee's anytime soon!

agree 100%. not condoning malicious or dangerous play, but jsut becasue a ref is blowing up for fouls doesn't mean he has the players under control. if a ref is having a bad game and blowing up left right and centre you know he has lost control and you can get up to all sorts then. it descends into a bit of a free for all and you need the wing mirrors on because some lads have the mentality of getting before they get got themselves. a ref who blows for all the wee things they can let go, or blows for nothing at all, is a ref that isn't assured. you can see that when they bottle the big calls and give nothing.

the black card makes sense if it allows the ref to issue something for the niggly tactical fouls and leaves the yellow and red for the more dangerous stuff. maybe there should be two refs at inter county level.

Club Rossa

Donegal players were signing autographs after the league game with Tyrone,so talk of a no signing policy isn't right.

tyronepaddy

Did anyone catch Mickey Murphy Smiling at the wee girl from Mayo after the game and patting her on the head?You wouldn't get that in a soccer match

From the Bunker

Quote from: tyronepaddy on March 25, 2013, 04:56:10 PM
Did anyone catch Mickey Murphy Smiling at the wee girl from Mayo after the game and patting her on the head?You wouldn't get that in a soccer match

Read back a few pages and you will get the sub-plot. He would not sign an Autograph for her! Not so romantic now!
You wouldn't get that at a soccer match either.

Jez, i hate this old school of people putting a rival sport down.  >:(

Footnote: I don't hold any malice toward Murphy for not giving the kid an autograph.

J70

It's good of you not to hold malice, especially when all there is to go on is some allegation on Twitter!

rosnarun

Quote from: J70 on March 25, 2013, 05:53:53 PM
It's good of you not to hold malice, especially when all there is to go on is some allegation on Twitter!
if he didnt want to sign it fair enough but the evidense is from TV not Twitter. He  was friendly towards her and possibly even explianed why . he  probably didnt want to get caught up for a 15 mins signing autograpghs with Jimmy waiting to tear the team a new one.
But dont put what people saw with their own eyes down as a malious Twitter rumour
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

J70

Quote from: rosnarun on March 25, 2013, 06:39:06 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 25, 2013, 05:53:53 PM
if he didnt want to sign it fair enough but the evidense is from TV not Twitter. He  was friendly towards her and possibly even explianed why . he  probably didnt want to get caught up for a 15 mins signing autograpghs with Jimmy waiting to tear the team a new one.
But dont put what people saw with their own eyes down as a malious Twitter rumour

I didn't realize it s shown on tv, so apologies to From The Bunker as he didn't condemn Murphy. It was reported here yesterday based on a Twitter posting and the baseless drawing of conclusions and subsequent judging that goes on here at times when players aren't here to defend themselves shouldn't be tolerated.

From the Bunker

Definitely not putting Murphy down J70. He had just lost a game in a away venue. A young one came up and asked for an Autograph in a Mayo Jersey. And really all he wanted was to do was get off the pitch. He looked to shrug her off politely. There are times you can just say 'no, sorry!'. No big deal!

Jinxy

What do you mean by this exactly?
I find when GAA people say the word 'gouging' it can mean anything from eye surgery to whisker-pulling.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

Didn't make the game yesterday but watched it on TG4. Not a great game, Mayo were poor and Donegal were worse - I would have put my shirt on McFadden scoring that free in the second half from the centre - the fecker wouldn't miss shots like that when we needed him to!!!  :o

Positives for Mayo:

- Midfield did well, Moran & O'Shea caught some great clean ball and worked hard
- McLoughlin played very well in parts, he's excellent when he runs at players and good to spot a pass
- Boyle & Higgins did well
- Barrett did well but I don't see him as a corner back
- Conroy & O'Connor were out in front a lot of the time
- Varley did well when he came on - always seems to be better coming off the bench than starting

Negatives:
- A lot of stray passes, not overly worried about this, it's early in the year yet
- AOS is wasted at CHF, worth presevering with this trial for the next game but can't see him there come championship
- No apparent strategy for the forward play, when Conroy / O'Connor won the ball, there was nobody coming at pace to take the pop pass - happened once in the second half and almost got through for a goal. Neither seemed to be willing to turn and take on his man.
- Missed two very good goal-scoring opportunities

Overall it was good to get the two points but the fact that Donegal were still in the game with 5 to go after playing so poorly says a lot. If Carolan hadn't robbed the ball inside our own rectangle leading up to the goal, we would have lost the game.