Mayo v Donegal - McHale Park - 24th Mar 2013

Started by RMDrive, March 19, 2013, 07:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 26, 2013, 07:46:12 PM
It's eye gouging, no question! Saw it in real time and commented on this board. Anyway can we move on from it! Nobody died and it's to early in the year for a witch hunt. Mayo got the two points, that all that mattered.

don't waste your breath .
first of all it was a twitter fantasy now they wont believe there own eyes .
Whether this was technically  a gouge or a rake across the face or whatever term you choose it was thuggery and was followed up by standing on his arm.
it not acceptable at any time of the year and issue bans now and you'll have a better game come summer.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Tubberman on March 26, 2013, 05:42:50 PM
Here's the eye gouging by Thompson on Kevin McLoughlin.
Not the clearest video, but it seems fairly clear what he was at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lbJctgvtXg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That's disgraceful, definite attempt at eye gouging, worse than spitting.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

J70

Quote from: rosnarun on March 26, 2013, 10:39:01 PM
It's eye gouging, no question! Saw it in real time and commented on this board. Anyway can we move on from it! Nobody died and it's to early in the year for a witch hunt. Mayo got the two points, that all that mattered.

Whether this was technically  a gouge or a rake across the face or whatever term you choose it was thuggery and was followed up by standing on his arm.
it not acceptable at any time of the year and issue bans now and you'll have a better game come summer.

Right, we must be deceiving ourselves because we don't draw the same definitive conclusion from a grainy video that you do.  :o

But if its that conclusive, then forward it to your favourite journo and let him take up the cause.

As for the "Twitter fantasy", the Murphy "incident" WAS  first reported here based on a tweet, so get your facts straight. 

rosnarun

Quote from: J70 on March 27, 2013, 12:33:16 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on March 26, 2013, 10:39:01 PM

Right, we must be deceiving ourselves because we don't draw the same definitive conclusion from a grainy video that you do.  :o

But if its that conclusive, then forward it to your favourite journo and let him take up the cause.

As for the "Twitter fantasy", the Murphy "incident" WAS  first reported here based on a tweet, so get your facts straight. 
Seriously is GAAboard your only outlet into the real world?
both incidents were clearly shown on TG4 live on air . not by some dubious youth armed with a Camera phone and photoshop.
There were several other possible sending off incidents such as high tackle footblocks ect but they can be excused as over enthusiasm but Gouging and stamping have no part in any sport
but play blind if you want . but these things have a habit of coming back to bite you in the arse

J70

Sorry, but I don't get HD tv coverage of GAA in the US. And I have no recollection of accusing you or anyone else of doctoring footage.

If Thompson is as clearly guilty as you claim, he should of course be punished, as long as the GAA pursues every player doing sneaky, nasty shite on the field. Like I said before, journalists love this stuff. Get them on the case if its that clearcut.

rosnarun

Quote from: J70 on March 27, 2013, 01:57:19 PM
Sorry, but I don't get HD tv coverage of GAA in the US. And I have no recollection of accusing you or anyone else of doctoring footage.

If Thompson is as clearly guilty as you claim, he should of course be punished, as long as the GAA pursues every player doing sneaky, nasty shite on the field. Like I said before, journalists love this stuff. Get them on the case if its that clearcut.
so why doubt what obvious to those of us that were there saw it live and then saw it on TV afterwards .
I have no intrest in dragging anyones name though the mud and have not mentioned any names .  but cant see the point in THe GAA brining in more and more Rules when they dont utilize the ones that are already there

J70

Quote from: rosnarun on March 27, 2013, 02:50:14 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 27, 2013, 01:57:19 PM

so why doubt what obvious to those of us that were there saw it live and then saw it on TV afterwards .
I have no intrest in dragging anyones name though the mud and have not mentioned any names .  but cant see the point in THe GAA brining in more and more Rules when they dont utilize the ones that are already there

Precisely because it is dragging someone's name through the mud (the video shows who) and, sorry, but I have no reason to just take the word of some anonymous poster on the internet and a.low quality you tube clip, which is what we were being condemned for questioning. If its clearly gouging in the decent recording, then that's different and I'd expect Thompson to be summoned and possibly disciplined. He would be in the summer, at least by the time The Sunday Game got done with it. But yes, I see that is part of your frustration that he isn't (so far) being called to task.

cadence

re the alleged gouging on the evidence so far... if thompson were to be summoned to offer up an account of his version of events, it's fairly obvious his version of what happened wouldn't be contradicted by the evidence so far. the evidence doesn't show that gouging took place, nor would it disprove what thompson would (presumably) argue.

let the player involved or the mayo camp, if they're aggrieved, make a complaint. it's telling that no one from the mayo camp has said anything about it. not a peep.

this board is hysterical in more ways than one sometimes.

rosnarun

the only reason a deal is being made of it is the 'hysterical ' refusal of some people to believe what they see and the splitting of hairs as to whether or not he actually managed to get his finger I the mayo mans eye or not .
Mayo got the points which is all they were looking for and have no interest in a player getting banned for the next match

did you see the clip clearly or are you another victim of poor TV reception that follow donegal people around the globe

J70

Quote from: rosnarun on March 28, 2013, 04:38:02 PM

did you see the clip clearly or are you another victim of poor TV reception that follow donegal people around the globe

And you accuse others of being hysterical!  ;D

From the Bunker

Lads can ye move on from this. The incident happened in a League match, that nobody cares about now. Mayo got the badly needed points. There is not a hope in hell of anyone from Mayo reporting it as they have more important issues to deal with. I'm not happy with what happened, luckily McL did not get caught properly. So lets move on!

cadence

@ rosnarun... seriously, all i can see from the clips is that thompson stuck his hand in the lad's face and that's a foul. it's dangerous play, but not the level of skullduggery you're imagining. it has nothing to do with poor reception. the clip you've provided doesn't show anything other than thompson sticking his hand in the lad's face and pushing his face down.

if thompson has gouged, then he deserves to get a proportionate ban. but he shouldn't be judged to have done something as extreme as you're saying without clear and convincing evidence surely. i'm sorry, but the grainy youtube clip we see flashes what happened in an instant, from not a great angle to see what happened either, you don't see gouging, and it does not provide clear and convincing evidence. it's not a donegal thing, it's a burden of proof thing. nothing there.

sans pessimism

Cadence,Im with rosnarun on this one.I watched it on
Slow mo on tg4 coverage -guy knew what he was at .
Thats my one and only comment on the incident.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

cadence

Quote from: sans pessimism on March 28, 2013, 11:19:02 PM
Cadence,Im with rosnarun on this one.I watched it on
Slow mo on tg4 coverage -guy knew what he was at .
Thats my one and only comment on the incident.

Well I haven't and I'm sceptical by nature. No disrespect, but until I see good quality footage, I won't be giving any weight to your opinion. Same as I wouldn't give any weight to someone who claims to have seen the slo mo better quality footage and states that he didn't do what's claimed. In each case, the evidence has to be presented before an assessment can be made.

BluestackBoy

Far from conclusive to my eyes.

Players reaction showed no contact was made with the eyes, Mayo authorities made no complaint & as for knowing what was in Thompson's mind, unless we have mindreaders on this site then thanks but no thanks.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.