Mayo v Donegal - McHale Park - 24th Mar 2013

Started by RMDrive, March 19, 2013, 07:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMDrive

J70

Quote from: donegal lad on March 24, 2013, 06:25:36 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 24, 2013, 05:59:53 PM
Haven't a clue, only posted what a guy on twitter claimed. If it isn't a policy why in the world did Murphy not sign the jersey?
Not sure if it's a policy but know anytime me or my brother (who's disabled) has asked murphy or any other Donegal players to sign something have been told to get them at the team bus where they have always obliged in signing jerseys etc and standing for photos

The nasty, autocratic, dictatorial, control freak McGuinness banning it makes for a better story!

Any word on Neil McGee?

ross4life

I watched the 1st half of this game in the Hyde park clubhouse. TBH it was low quality stuff up there with div 3 games i have watched all year, was it any better in the 2nd half?. Anyways a good win for Mayo looks like semi final is still possible with a win over Cork.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

highorlow

QuoteHaven't a clue, only posted what a guy on twitter claimed. If it isn't a policy why in the world did Murphy not sign the jersey?

If he is a left hander it's probably because of that bandage type of thing he was wearing on his hand?

In relation to the game the soft looking pitch didn't help how it looked. Far from putrid I thought it was a fine spectacle of defensive play and our lads finally got tactics right in a match.

Murphy and McFadden were kept out of the game for most parts and that along with finally taking a goal chance was the winning of the game.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

theticklemister

Quote from: emmetryan on March 24, 2013, 06:56:25 PM
Hi guys,

Tactical analysis of Mayo's win over Donegal up here http://action81.com/blog/?p=7017

Thanks,
Emmet

Je ye have yer work would be cut out for ye there Emmett!!!

sans pessimism

Quote from: ballinaman on March 24, 2013, 05:37:56 PM
Quote from: cadence on March 24, 2013, 05:19:00 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on March 24, 2013, 04:59:31 PM
Great to get the win. Listening to it through free McDonalds wifi in South Beach Miami was a strange experience!

no need for that.
If it makes ye feel better, I was/am horrifically hungover...
and you are/will be sick after aatan that McDonald shite!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

muppet

Quote from: sans pessimism on March 24, 2013, 08:01:08 PM
Great to get the win. Listening to it through free McDonalds wifi in South Beach Miami was a strange experience!

no need for that.

Soon Ballina will have its own McDonalds so no need to fly to Florida for a Big Mac.
MWWSI 2017

theticklemister

Quote from: muppet on March 24, 2013, 08:06:53 PM
Quote from: sans pessimism on March 24, 2013, 08:01:08 PM

no need for that.

Soon Ballina will have its own McDonalds so no need to fly to Florida for a Big Mac.

Not a chance, this is............

....................  country

donegal lad

Quote from: 118cmal on March 24, 2013, 06:55:24 PM
Jim McGuinness has implemented a no-signing policy for the players.
What's your source for this comment better b a good one as know jim and the players were great with supporters last year and in the run up to the final

Farrandeelin

Left McHale Park happy to get the win today, thankfully Donegal's forwards were more clueless than ours. It was a very good defensive display by Mayo who tackled and pressurised the DL forwards into making the silly passes. Barry Moran had his best game yet in a Mayo shirt, and Séamus O Shea wasn't far behind in terms of man of the match stakes. The amount of ball that was given away (I prefer that to the word turnover) by both teams left me wondering if these two teams really aspire to greater things later in the year at all. I know it's only March but the championship campaigns begin in 8 weeks for us and 9 for Donegal, so you'd imagine the forwards would be trying to do the best in terms of staking places for teams.

As regards the permutations and combinations, the Mayo team simply have to treat each game from now on with a winning attitude and mentality and let's see how far it can get us. It would be nice to beat Cork the next day out.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

A welcome rare win against Donegal in League/Championship. Today we looked a bit more like the Mayo of last year! Hard to know what value to put on the win. Donegal looked a bit rudderless. They are probably still working their way back to competitiveness, as they ignored the McKenna Cup and strolled into the League Campaign. The big question for McGuinness, is can he get this team back up to the intensity of last year.

For us today papers over the cracks for the moment. The Cork result today was a bit unexpected, I thought they would beat Kerry and be safely into a League SF. Now we are left with an away game that they have to get something out of. I wonder do Cork have the stomach to go for 4 in a row leagues. Winning the league the last couple of seasons did them no favours come championship. GAA values are strange, Cork could win their 4th League title in a row this year and they would get little or no credit for it. In fact there would be solid GAA fans that would hardly know they are going for 4 in a row.

At the beginning of the League, i expected Down and Kildare to go down. Credit to Kildare they have proven me wrong and with a bit of luck they could claim much needed silverware even before the championship starts. So down are as good as gone and it's between ourselves, Donegal and Kerry who goes down. I'd marginally go for Donegal to oin Down, although they will be up for it v Dublin next weekend!

God14

Very suprised that Paddy McBrearty again playedteh full 70 mins yesterday. Jim not really supporting the U21s escpecially with them having a big semi final match v Derry on Wednesday evening.

Although when you consider that Ryan Bradley having been subbed after having an off day, was reintroduced as a sub for Neil McGee makes you ask questions of the strength in depth of Donegals panel.

Also a few stats worth noting (Courtesy of Gaelic Life)...
Donegal have used 24 players in NFL, Ulster's lowest.
Average sub rate is 3.5  again Ulster's lowest.

Last year Donegal had everyone fit, it makes you wonder if they picked up 3 or 4 injuries where would they be?

theticklemister

Ross wherity also came on and got called off also

J70

We'd everyone fit by August last year. As for missing players, it depends who. Lose Murphy, Lacey, McFadden and Neil McGee, and yes, we'd be in bother, as would almost every other county.

On the league panels, what are the other stats? Is a 24 player rotation much lower than usual? What's the average? Of those other counties, how many of these reams of players will feature come championship time? Donegal have a very settled team, although they've coped well with losing Murphy and Gallagher to injury at various times and Cassidy and Hegarty from the panel.

sans pessimism

McGee's injury yday looked serious enough.any news on him
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"