Any Sign of White Smoke Yet?

Started by Oraisteach, March 13, 2013, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: tyrone exile on March 17, 2013, 12:27:48 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 17, 2013, 10:06:58 AM
Quote from: tyrone exile on March 16, 2013, 04:36:06 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 16, 2013, 04:29:47 PM
People loose their faith in a deity and/or a faith group for a multitude of reasons. The child abuse cover up just highlights the RC churchs moral corruption as an institution. One should not discount the power of the butterfly affect in bringing about change. We're doing our bit
When you say "we're doing our bit" does it give you satisfaction to see people loose their faith?
I am no lover of the Church, far from it, but luckily i don't need a church to keep my faith, however not everyone can feel the same. I could take no joy in seeing so many people loose their faith, no matter what religion it may be.
What difference does it make to you if people lose their faith?

it doesn't make a difference, I just find it unpleasant to see others ramming their views down other peoples throats. everyone has the ability and the right to make their own mind up!
Those missionaries must really sicken you.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

tyrone exile

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 17, 2013, 01:01:26 PM
People loose their faith in a deity and/or a faith group for a multitude of reasons. The child abuse cover up just highlights the RC churchs moral corruption as an institution. One should not discount the power of the butterfly affect in bringing about change. We're doing our bit
When you say "we're doing our bit" does it give you satisfaction to see people loose their faith?
I am no lover of the Church, far from it, but luckily i don't need a church to keep my faith, however not everyone can feel the same. I could take no joy in seeing so many people loose their faith, no matter what religion it may be.

it doesn't make a difference, I just find it unpleasant to see others ramming their views down other peoples throats. everyone has the ability and the right to make their own mind up!

I have no time for them

Maguire01

Quote from: tyrone exile on March 17, 2013, 01:06:34 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 17, 2013, 01:01:26 PM

I have no time for them
Not to mention those parents indoctrinating their children before they're old enough to make their own mind up, eh?

bennydorano

The indoctirnation argument  holds no water with me, i'm sure 99% of heathens on here were brought up RC & have found their merry way to athiesim ok.

Maguire01

Quote from: bennydorano on March 17, 2013, 01:43:47 PM
The indoctirnation argument  holds no water with me, i'm sure 99% of heathens on here were brought up RC & have found their merry way to athiesim ok.
What % of Catholics here weren't raised as such? How many were raised without religion or with a different religion?

bennydorano

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 17, 2013, 01:49:27 PM
What % of Catholics here weren't raised as such? How many were raised without religion or with a different religion?
No idea, nor do you. What point are you trying to make?

Hardy

Quote from: tyrone exile link=topic=22888.msg1211554#msg1211554atheists who go round ramming their non-beliefs down peoples throats

How do you ram a non-belief down somebody's throat? To say "I don't believe that" is somehow a form of aggression?

The inquisition is over. You can't force people to believe something these days.

ziggysego

Quote from: Hardy on March 17, 2013, 05:33:05 PM
Quote from: tyrone exile link=topic=22888.msg1211554#msg1211554atheists who go round ramming their non-beliefs down peoples throats

How do you ram a non-belief down somebody's throat? To say "I don't believe that" is somehow a form of aggression?

The inquisition is over. You can't force people to believe something these days.

But he didn't just say "I don't believe that" and you know it.
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Who is "he"?

I was taking issue with the concept of "ramming" a non-belief "down peoples throats". I don't think that's possible.

Maguire01

Quote from: bennydorano on March 17, 2013, 05:12:47 PM
Is it not clear? Forget about people on the board then. Think about Catholics you know - how many of them were raised as such? I know a lot of Catholics - I don't know any who became Catholic as an adult, having been raised in another religion or with no religion.

Declan

QuoteI don't know any who became Catholic as an adult, having been raised in another religion or with no religion.[/quote

Seriously - There are a fair few around where I live - usually baptised at the Easter vigil

bennydorano

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 17, 2013, 08:16:51 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 17, 2013, 05:12:47 PM
Is it not clear? Forget about people on the board then. Think about Catholics you know - how many of them were raised as such? I know a lot of Catholics - I don't know any who became Catholic as an adult, having been raised in another religion or with no religion.
Ah right, that makes more sense, but  that thinking could be applied to any Religion, you're making huge assumptions that cant be proven.