Any Sign of White Smoke Yet?

Started by Oraisteach, March 13, 2013, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: ziggysego on March 14, 2013, 10:50:11 AM
There was never going to be drastic changes within the Church, by the electing of a new Pope. However, in the election of Pope Francis, I believe we are at the beginning of a shift within the Catholic Church, which will lead onto more progressive changes over the years. That can only be welcomed.

For me, the main priorities of this new Pope, has to be the child abuse scandals. He has to deal with this with the upmost urgency. Plus, social injustices has to be up there too.

Has a familiar ring to it. I won't hold my breath.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

The Brits are going mental on some of the comments for online news for Francis I, so far I have read "back off Brussels", the last one was a Nazi, this ones a fascist, lots of kiddy-fiddler comments, "bring back Henry VIII", hes nothing but an I-tie (Italian), we beat the French at Agincourt!!!!!, he will be in Dublin drinking a Guinness, we beat Napoleon!!!, send a few Falcons to Buenos Aires, refuel and hit Rome.... etc. etc. etc.

One of the most bizzare was something about the next Pope (after Francis) being either from one of those other countries that hates us (UK) "like North Korea or Australia"  :o

A pleasant bunch aren't they.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Quote from: bennydorano on March 14, 2013, 04:50:15 PM
As a cycnical bastid with no Religion in me i wish him the best, from the things i've read about him i think he will be more radical than expected (radical obviously being relative in this case). I like his Social justice outlook.

Agree with all of this.

Plus I like a Cardinal who can publicly say this: "In our ecclesiastical region there are priests who don't baptise the children of single mothers because they weren't conceived in the sanctity of marriage," Bergoglio told his priests. "These are today's hypocrites. Those who clericalise the Church. Those who separate the people of God from salvation. And this poor girl who, rather than returning the child to sender, had the courage to carry it into the world, must wander from parish to parish so that it's baptised!"

I am reminded of how we treated single mothers (Magdalene Laundries), babies who died unbaptised (were not allowed to be buried on consecrated ground - with their families) and of course the abused children (I'm thinking of a Cardinal who swore them to secrecy - Canon Law). The above sounds quite different to me.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 14, 2013, 04:59:15 PM
The Brits are going mental on some of the comments for online news for Francis I, so far I have read "back off Brussels", the last one was a Nazi, this ones a fascist, lots of kiddy-fiddler comments, "bring back Henry VIII", hes nothing but an I-tie (Italian), we beat the French at Agincourt!!!!!, he will be in Dublin drinking a Guinness, we beat Napoleon!!!, send a few Falcons to Buenos Aires, refuel and hit Rome.... etc. etc. etc.

One of the most bizzare was something about the next Pope (after Francis) being either from one of those other countries that hates us (UK) "like North Korea or Australia"  :o

What forum are you reading - BNP? Viz online?

Eamonnca1

From the BBC:

QuotePope Francis has warned the Catholic Church would become "a compassionate NGO" without spiritual renewal.

In a Sistine Chapel Mass with cardinals on his first day as Church leader, the pontiff, 76, said: "If we do not confess to Christ what would we be?

"We would end up a compassionate NGO. What would happen would be like when children make sand castles and then it all falls down."

Francis is the first Latin American - and the first Jesuit - Pope,

Haha! Yes. God forbid if the catholic church should become a "compassionate NGO."  The horror!

dec

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 14, 2013, 04:59:15 PM

What were you doing reading the Rangers' supporters forum?

Rossfan

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 14, 2013, 05:31:31 PM
From the BBC:

QuotePope Francis has warned the Catholic Church would become "a compassionate NGO" without spiritual renewal.

In a Sistine Chapel Mass with cardinals on his first day as Church leader, the pontiff, 76, said: "If we do not confess to Christ what would we be?

"We would end up a compassionate NGO. What would happen would be like when children make sand castles and then it all falls down."

Francis is the first Latin American - and the first Jesuit - Pope,

Haha! Yes. God forbid if the catholic church should become a "compassionate NGO."  The horror!

He's saying it's more than just a Compassionate NGO.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

OnTheLine

Quote from: stew on March 14, 2013, 01:57:53 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 14, 2013, 09:14:16 AM
I am lifted by the things I have read and heard about the new pope. Best wishes to him and his term in office.

I wish I knew how to post shit on here from articles on the web, the Jesuit ceremony for new priests is interesting to say the least, to say the worst it is as Un-Christian a document as I have ever read.

they are not big on the aul reformers but at least they are a step up from the lowest of the low..........the Jews!
Anybody else find this last statement a bit dodgy? Totally uncalled-for IMO..

theskull1

Quote from: muppet on March 14, 2013, 05:07:34 PM
Plus I like a Cardinal who can publicly say this: "In our ecclesiastical region there are priests who don't baptise the children of single mothers because they weren't conceived in the sanctity of marriage," Bergoglio told his priests. "These are today's hypocrites. Those who clericalise the Church. Those who separate the people of God from salvation. And this poor girl who, rather than returning the child to sender, had the courage to carry it into the world, must wander from parish to parish so that it's baptised!"

Fine words indeed ....... comes across as 'human'. Lets see how vocal he is allowed to be now that he's pope.

My own gut feeling is that he is a PR choice. He's 76 ..... how many years does he have to be this force for change that people are hoping for?

Who believes that popes have a huge level of influence anyway? The puppet masters will still be running the show
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Oraisteach

Not sure what Stew means in his reference to the Jews, but it does sound decidely un-Kosher.

Syferus

I thought the Cardinals would choose Geno Smith or Matt Barkley with their first pick. Bold move.

Does he have a big arm on him? He certainly doesn't look too mobile.

The Iceman

People can't honestly expect too much too soon. Let the man get in to the role first. I wish him the best. I think he can only be good for the Church.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hardy

Quote from: stew on March 14, 2013, 01:57:53 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 14, 2013, 09:14:16 AM
I am lifted by the things I have read and heard about the new pope. Best wishes to him and his term in office.

I wish I knew how to post shit on here from articles on the web, the Jesuit ceremony for new priests is interesting to say the least, to say the worst it is as Un-Christian a document as I have ever read.

they are not big on the aul reformers but at least they are a step up from the lowest of the low..........the Jews!

We have people bleating here about "sectarianism" in insults traded between people of the same background in a football match, but this casual outburst passes almost without comment here.

ONeill

Ah, that's just our Stew. The Spitman.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: The Iceman on March 14, 2013, 08:46:36 PM
People can't honestly expect too much too soon. Let the man get in to the role first. I wish him the best. I think he can only be good for the Church.

I agree, two millennia after a delusional Nazzarenu carpenter's son started his own cult, we are still waiting.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.