Any Sign of White Smoke Yet?

Started by Oraisteach, March 13, 2013, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Orior

I am lifted by the things I have read and heard about the new pope. Best wishes to him and his term in office.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

There was never going to be drastic changes within the Church, by the electing of a new Pope. However, in the election of Pope Francis, I believe we are at the beginning of a shift within the Catholic Church, which will lead onto more progressive changes over the years. That can only be welcomed.

For me, the main priorities of this new Pope, has to be the child abuse scandals. He has to deal with this with the upmost urgency. Plus, social injustices has to be up there too.
Testing Accessibility

LeoMc

Quote from: ziggysego on March 14, 2013, 10:50:11 AM
There was never going to be drastic changes within the Church, by the electing of a new Pope. However, in the election of Pope Francis, I believe we are at the beginning of a shift within the Catholic Church, which will lead onto more progressive changes over the years. That can only be welcomed.

For me, the main priorities of this new Pope, has to be the child abuse scandals. He has to deal with this with the upmost urgency. Plus, social injustices has to be up there too.

The Vatican banking scandals are another issue. The fact he is an outsider may put him in a postion to begin reforming the Curia. He is supposedly quite outspoken on social injustice.

ziggysego

Quote from: LeoMc on March 14, 2013, 10:56:06 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 14, 2013, 10:50:11 AM

The Vatican banking scandals are another issue. The fact he is an outsider may put him in a postion to begin reforming the Curia. He is supposedly quite outspoken on social injustice.

The fact that he's appears to be a humble man and takes the bus to places, flies on economy flights and in Buenos Aires, he lived in a simple flat in the building of the Archdiocese, next door to the cathedral.
Testing Accessibility

OverThePostsAWide

The world-wide congregation of Dorothys so wanted the New Wizard to be a Nice Man and breathed a collective sigh of relief when this particular Nice Old Man was revealed from behind the curtain.

Reform the Curia? Not in my lifetime or his. The Holy Spirit is no fool...

magpie seanie

He seems to be a good choice. I wish him well.

AQMP

While the media like to portray church hierarchy issues as conservatives vs. liberals, in reality there are few, if any, liberal cardinals out there.  In terms of doctrine you have conservatives vs. slightly less conservatives.  Doctrinally I don't foresee this Pope making any significant change in approach to the high profile issues e.g abortion, contraception, the role of women in the Catholic Church, homosexuality.

Where there may be some push for change is in Romans vs Reformers i.e. internally within the "government" of the Vatican and the Church.  Best of luck to Fra on that agenda.  No doubt it needs done but it isn't going to be an easy sell to the lifelong institutionalised bureaucrats who still wield a lot of power within the Vatican.

Interesting to see the British media focusing on his attitude to the Falklands.  All politics are local!

naka

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 14, 2013, 04:36:16 AM

dont see an issue here
church teaching what is he going to say !!!
hope he does well but he will have his work cut out for him

stew

Quote from: Orior on March 14, 2013, 09:14:16 AM
I am lifted by the things I have read and heard about the new pope. Best wishes to him and his term in office.

I wish I knew how to post shit on here from articles on the web, the Jesuit ceremony for new priests is interesting to say the least, to say the worst it is as Un-Christian a document as I have ever read.

they are not big on the aul reformers but at least they are a step up from the lowest of the low..........the Jews!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

orangeman

I like this man already. Good luck and best wishes to him.

Bergoglio often rode the bus to work, cooked his own meals and regularly visited the slums that ring Argentina's capital.

He considers social outreach, rather than doctrinal battles, to be the essential business of the church.

He accused fellow church leaders of hypocrisy and forgetting that Jesus Christ bathed lepers and ate with prostitutes.

"Jesus teaches us another way: Go out. Go out and share your testimony, go out and interact with your brothers, go out and share, go out and ask. Become the Word in body as well as spirit," Bergoglio told Argentina's priests last year.

Bergoglio's legacy as cardinal includes his efforts to repair the reputation of a church that lost many followers by failing to openly challenge Argentina's murderous 1976-83 dictatorship.

He also worked to recover the church's traditional political influence in society, but his outspoken criticism of President Cristina Kirchner couldn't stop her from imposing socially liberal measures that are anathema to the church, from gay marriage and adoption to free contraceptives for all.

"In our ecclesiastical region there are priests who don't baptise the children of single mothers because they weren't conceived in the sanctity of marriage," Bergoglio told his priests. "These are today's hypocrites. Those who clericalise the Church. Those who separate the people of God from salvation. And this poor girl who, rather than returning the child to sender, had the courage to carry it into the world, must wander from parish to parish so that it's baptised!"

Bergoglio compared this concept of Catholicism, "this Church of `come inside so we make decisions and announcements between ourselves and those who don't come in, don't belong," to the Pharisees of Christ's time - people who congratulate themselves while condemning all others.

johnneycool

Where'd you get that from Orangeman as I'd like to send a copy of it to my local parish priest. As pious a man you wouldn't meet

magpie seanie

Quote from: johnneycool on March 14, 2013, 03:49:50 PM
Where'd you get that from Orangeman as I'd like to send a copy of it to my local parish priest. As pious a man you wouldn't meet

There's a Profile piece on RTE's website and that is part of it.

ziggysego

Quote from: orangeman on March 14, 2013, 03:35:08 PM
I like this man already. Good luck and best wishes to him.

Bergoglio often rode the bus to work, cooked his own meals and regularly visited the slums that ring Argentina's capital.

He considers social outreach, rather than doctrinal battles, to be the essential business of the church.

He accused fellow church leaders of hypocrisy and forgetting that Jesus Christ bathed lepers and ate with prostitutes.

"Jesus teaches us another way: Go out. Go out and share your testimony, go out and interact with your brothers, go out and share, go out and ask. Become the Word in body as well as spirit," Bergoglio told Argentina's priests last year.

Bergoglio's legacy as cardinal includes his efforts to repair the reputation of a church that lost many followers by failing to openly challenge Argentina's murderous 1976-83 dictatorship.

He also worked to recover the church's traditional political influence in society, but his outspoken criticism of President Cristina Kirchner couldn't stop her from imposing socially liberal measures that are anathema to the church, from gay marriage and adoption to free contraceptives for all.

"In our ecclesiastical region there are priests who don't baptise the children of single mothers because they weren't conceived in the sanctity of marriage," Bergoglio told his priests. "These are today's hypocrites. Those who clericalise the Church. Those who separate the people of God from salvation. And this poor girl who, rather than returning the child to sender, had the courage to carry it into the world, must wander from parish to parish so that it's baptised!"

Bergoglio compared this concept of Catholicism, "this Church of `come inside so we make decisions and announcements between ourselves and those who don't come in, don't belong," to the Pharisees of Christ's time - people who congratulate themselves while condemning all others.

Last night, a limo arrived to take him to his place of rest for the night. Pope Francis refused the limo and instead took the bus, along with the rest of the Cardinals.
Testing Accessibility

bennydorano

As a cycnical bastid with no Religion in me i wish him the best, from the things i've read about him i think he will be more radical than expected (radical obviously being relative in this case). I like his Social justice outlook.