Spitting

Started by ONeill, March 09, 2013, 12:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Boghopper on March 12, 2013, 01:58:26 PM
BC1 the incident involving Curran and young Carragher was a joke, the footage of Curran when he is receiving treatment clearly showed him laughing in acknowledgement that he had gotten the lad sent off for nothing, fair play to Cross they didn't moan and complain about the incident. I never liked Curran and I hope his career dosen't end on a high after some of his previous comments regarding Tyrone GAA. Getting back to the theme of this thread, I don't see how spitting can be defended, although I would have to question why this video has ended up on Youtube and why the Kerry Club didn't pass footage of the game to the CCCC if they felt the ofending player should be punished for his conduct. I also know that Kerry people have a deep seated hatred of Tyrone people and the North in general having witnessed this behaviour on a number of occasions and most recently in Killarney at a qualifer last summer. I would have felt more comfortable at a Celtic v Rangers game at Ibrox than I actally did in Killarney that day. I also know from personal experience last year a la Dromid Pearses how Kerry teams have this holier than thou art attitude and once beaten if there have been any unsavory match incidents they will release a selective piece of footage which paints the opposition in a bad light therefore taking the gloss of their opponents win. In this process they will very conveniently ignore any footage which reflects badly on them. I can't see why Mugsy would defend his teamate I couldn't defend a few of mine after Portlaoise last year although I can see why he would perhaps try to offer some explanation as to why it happened.  I heard from a few neutrals that Finuge behaved very badly on the field of play and the game statistics will show they had 2/3? men sent off and that Cookstown won. Conclusion spitting has no place in our games nor is their any place for anti-northern slagging or sore Kerry losers.

Boghopper, I do not know what you're referring to, I simply put up a hypothetical sitaution :P  I will not comment on the actual event that occured in Mullingar that day as that is not how we generally operate.

rrhf

This is a load of balls lads.  Anyone who spits is a bad egg, anyone who gives sectarian or racial abuse is a bad egg, anyone who kicks or tramps on a player is a bad egg.  I hate to see them all on a GAA field.  All need to be condemned in the same breathe whether you are coming in yella from behind or standing sneering in your opponents face it is terrible form.  I think we need to be punishing anyone hard with a disrepute charge.  This needs to stop, I will accept that Tyrone and Kerry have had more than their share of unsavoury incidents and the same player/s are often involved time and time again,  we need to do all in our power, to ostracise those responsible.  This is not furthering the GAA whatsoever.  As BCB points out many of the Southern teams know how to hit the raw nerve of the Northern boys, but spitting/hitting/balltapping or whatever is still no way to react.   Disgusted.

The Trap

If Mulligan meant to take the heat of his team-mate it has worked! Everyone talking about him instead of the culprit. I heard lots of stories of refs in the past saying to a player "i will give you one chance to get him". The way the disciplinary process works in GAA i would say this is the best way to deal with this sort of behaviour!!!!!

magpie seanie

Maybe it's because my mothers side are from Tyrone but I've always found the idiotic, childish calling of northerners "British" to be repugnant.

Spitting is the lowest of the low.

There are rules in the book to deal with these things but too often committees hide or are allowed to hide. There should be a citing rule introduced to eradicate this kind of sc**bag behaviour.

I'm all for physicality in football and hurling. The games are supposed to be about manliness, not t**ker carry on.

lickthem

He called me a British bastard etc etc etc.
Big f**king deal.
We have got very sensitive in the Gaa. The lad who spat on Glavin would be better putting his freelance journalist skills to use and issuing an apology.
Wise up Mugsy.

EC Unique

Quote from: lickthem on March 12, 2013, 04:05:01 PM
He called me a British b**tard etc etc etc.
Big f**king deal.
We have got very sensitive in the Gaa. The lad who spat on Glavin would be better putting his freelance journalist skills to use and issuing an apology.
Wise up Mugsy.

What about racial abuse? is it a 'big f**king deal'?

BennyHarp

I wonder what Mugsy meant about "comments made about Tyrone legends who have passed away"? If this is the level of verbals the Kerry lads were giving out then perhaps they should drop the holier than thou bullsh*t that always appears after they lose a game.
That was never a square ball!!

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on March 12, 2013, 04:32:59 PM
Some of his saliva landed on my back etc etc etc

Big f**king deal.
We have got very sensitive in the GAA.

He has no problem drinking out of the same water bottle as everyone else but yaps when some saliva lands on him.
Wise up Galvin.

I'm far from sensitive but spitting on someone is the work of a sc**bag and should not be tolerated in any sport.

Estimator

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 12, 2013, 12:27:23 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on March 12, 2013, 12:22:45 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 12, 2013, 12:10:49 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on March 12, 2013, 12:00:24 PM
Nally, spitting and name calling (no matter what the name it is) cannot be in the same category,

If Paul Galvin had spat on a cookstown player, would love to have heard your response,

Sectarian abuse is not just "name calling" in the same way as racist abuse is not just "name calling". Spitting, sectarian abuse and racist abuse are three actions that are well beneath contempt.

Hang on, sectarian abuse? Between two Irish, Catholic (assumption on my part), GAA players?

In 2011 when Dublin hammered Tyrone, as we were walking up Jones Rd, a crowd of Dubs behind us started singing and jeering and shouting at us to "f**k off back to England" (yes, England) and calling us "black b**tards". Stupidity is no excuse. Sectarian abuse is sectarian abuse.

Clones. 2003. Derry v Tyrone. Drawn game.  I left the ground bang on the final whistle and jogged through the town to get back to the car and away out of Clones quickly. As I passed a drinking establishment on the opposite side of the road to the Creighton.  Two hallions were vacating the premises.  Both hallions were wearing Tyrone jerseys. Both looked like they had never seen the inside of St Tiernach's park.  Upon spying me in my Derry jersey, one of the hallions roared that identical comment "f**k off back to England". Along with a few other choice words about 'British' and 'London' was mentioned as well.  The rest of it was pretty incoherent.  The England commment always stood out as being completely bizarre.  I don't think they were being sectarian.  The two hallions are from Tyrone and obviously are not well educated.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Tubberman

Galvin has made a statement http://www.thisispaulgalvin.com/

Further to recent YouTube footage and press reports relating to a spitting incident in last months Intermediate club final I would like to 100% confirm for the record that I was spat on during the game. Furthermore I will utterly and unequivocally distance myself from claims made regarding verbal abuse during the game. That I have to defend myself or clarify my position in this regard is as disappointing as it is wrong. I will also add that I made no comment or complaint, publicly or privately, at the time of the incident, as when the game finishes it is finished in my view and i have no interest in dragging this matter out. I am only doing so now as footage of the incident found its way into the public domain and for some reason I have been forced to confirm what I know to have happened.

Finally I would like to congratulate Cookstown on their victory. I have played in 12 All Ireland finals in both codes, winning 8, and this is one All Ireland I can live without. Tyrone football is full of men I admire greatly, men like Mickey Harte and Peter Canavan, who when I was 16 years old sought me out after a schools game against Cookstown and told me "you 'll play for your county one day son." Those words inspired me many times growing up. The path that the Kerry/Tyrone rivalry has taken of late disappoints me. Both counties are better than the bitterness and rancour that currently exists.

I will make no further comment on the matter at this point.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Tubberman on March 12, 2013, 05:28:10 PM

Further to recent YouTube footage and press reports relating to a spitting incident in last months Intermediate club final I would like to 100% confirm for the record that I was spat on during the game. Furthermore I will utterly and unequivocally distance myself from claims made regarding verbal abuse during the game. That I have to defend myself or clarify my position in this regard is as disappointing as it is wrong. I will also add that I made no comment or complaint, publicly or privately, at the time of the incident, as when the game finishes it is finished in my view and i have no interest in dragging this matter out. I am only doing so now as footage of the incident found its way into the public domain and for some reason I have been forced to confirm what I know to have happened.

Finally I would like to congratulate Cookstown on their victory. I have played in 12 All Ireland finals in both codes, winning 8, and this is one All Ireland I can live without. Tyrone football is full of men I admire greatly, men like Mickey Harte and Peter Canavan, who when I was 16 years old sought me out after a schools game against Cookstown and told me "you 'll play for your county one day son." Those words inspired me many times growing up. The path that the Kerry/Tyrone rivalry has taken of late disappoints me. Both counties are better than the bitterness and rancour that currently exists.

Mulligan take note.

stew

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 12, 2013, 05:31:41 PM

Mulligan take note.

Class southern style, I half expect the Tyrone Co Board to take Galvin & the GAA to court for slander! after all, under Harte, they have threatened to sue them for practically everything else. :P

Mulligan's probably had someone read that to him and explain what it means and he is probably doing his roots, fuming at being publicly humiliated again!!!

Why can't these Tyrone hoors keep the head down after tangling with kerrymen, feck me, it's like they want to be put to bed wet!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

BennyHarp

Quote from: stew on March 12, 2013, 05:39:16 PM

Mulligan take note.

Class southern style, I half expect the Tyrone Co Board to take Galvin & the GAA to court for slander! after all, under Harte, they have threatened to sue them for practically everything else. :P

Mulligan's probably had someone read that to him and explain what it means and he is probably doing his roots, fuming at being publicly humiliated again!!!

Why can't these Tyrone hoors keep the head down after tangling with kerrymen, feck me, it's like they want to be put to bed wet!

When did the Tyrone Co board threaten to sue the GAA?  Plus that last sentence is a fine example of bollocks!
That was never a square ball!!

ONeill

Mulligan take note.

Says the spitter himself.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stew

Quote from: ONeill on March 12, 2013, 05:45:59 PM

Mulligan take note.

Says the spitter himself.

Ah shane.........................I would have bet the farm you wouldn't have been the one to bite first.  :)

I was 19 or 20 at the time when I did that, does not excuse it, I had already been tripped by their supporters that lined the bank and I made a mistake, fcuk, youse boys on here must be fecking angels! ::)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.