Tír Eoghain v Corcaigh - Dé Domhnaigh 10iu Márta 2:30pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 04, 2013, 12:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

I'd be hoping for a big reaction next week and to lay down a marker that we really belong with the best teams in the country. I want to see the team playing with much more heart and confidence. Hopefully croke park against the Dubs will bring the best out of them. Maybe today can be used to drive the team on going forward. I've a feeling we will see a much better performance next week.

omagh_gael

Defeat today may be a blessing in disguise by dampening expectations and remind us that we are still rebuilding. Couldn't ask for a better game to focus the mind and ask for a big performance than the Dubs in Croke park.

Draw a line under today and set the sights for Jones road.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 10, 2013, 08:02:10 PM
Was very disappointed with the performance today after a bright start to the season. Hopefully its just a blip but it was an awful performance. It reminded me a bit of how we just died when up against tough opposition in the championship in recent years (Dublin 2011, Kerry last year).

As has already been said breaking ball was a huge issue. I'd love to see the stats because it seemed like Cork won about 90% of breaking ball from kickouts. And it wasn't even that we were being out fought as such, the issue was we simply weren't in the right positions to compete. The kickouts kept coming down the middle were in fairness we weren't being out caught but Cork would have 2 or 3 men well positioned in the area and our midfielder would be totally isolated.

Another big problem was we were so defensive but in a brainless way. We'd regularly have 10 or 12 men behind the ball but they weren't working hard enough and weren't picking up men. Cork had oceans of space. We were inviting them onto us and then giving acres of room. Then on the occassions we got the ball back we were far to slow to push out and weren't getting the men forward. The forward play was atrocious at times to and there was a lot of wasted opportunites. Harte probably missed 1-3 of scorable chances alone and Cavanagh missed a few frees and few bad efforts to. Our key players really didn't have good games today.

As I say I hope this was a blip contributed to players getting carried away and the number of changes (including 3 players making 1st start of the season) and not a sign of what is to come later in the season v the big teams. Certainly if we play like this next week Dublin will hammer us. That has become an important game in this stage of the season. Another hammering there would do the confidence no good at all.

In fairness to Conor Gormley today again when under pressure he was probably our best performer.

On another note today I thought like in many other games we came off far worse with the referees decisions. I'd love to have the opinion of a neutral at the match on that one. It certainly didn't cost us the game but didn't do any favours. These Meath refs don't seem to like us.

On the point of the ref john clarke was commentating and said that the referee favoured tyrone slightly.

Redhand Santa

I don't know how anyone could have said he favoured Tyrone. He was particularly bad in the 1st half giving Cork all the 50 50 calls and some very soft frees. He did let one or 2 go in the 2nd half in fairness. As I said had no impact on the result but just didn't think he was good and wasn't a big fan of any kind of physical contact.

imtommygunn

I thought it strange that a commentator said that to be honest. No idea if that's accurate or not.

ONeill

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 10, 2013, 09:32:24 PM
I thought it strange that a commentator said that to be honest. No idea if that's accurate or not.

The commentator set him up by saying the same - particularly about the second half.

The three early wins might prove vital. Away to Dublin, away to Kildare and then home to Kerry who will be fighting for their lives - they'll be well tested before the Donegal championship game. No wins in those and you're looking over your shoulder. One win and it's probably a semi-final berth.

Were the Cavanaghs cleaned out?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

TY14ED

Quote from: ONeill on March 10, 2013, 09:37:00 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 10, 2013, 09:32:24 PM

The commentator set him up by saying the same - particularly about the second half.

The three early wins might prove vital. Away to Dublin, away to Kildare and then home to Kerry who will be fighting for their lives - they'll be well tested before the Donegal championship game. No wins in those and you're looking over your shoulder. One win and it's probably a semi-final berth.

Were the Cavanaghs cleaned out?

Cleaned out is probably a bit strong because they did break a lot of ball. But with regards to winning breaking ball we were definitely cleaned out. Cork seemed to have 2-3 men waiting for every break no matter where it landed. Cork had a bit more tactical nous than in recent seasons and set up a serious wall of defence to break through. Yet had we taken another chance or two it wouldn't have taken much to win this game. Tyrone very flat throughout & had any player given us something to shout about, the supporters could have carried them over the line. However the expectation will be contained for another while & looks like its gonna take a mighty performance to stay with the Dubs.

LeoMc

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 10, 2013, 05:47:07 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on March 10, 2013, 05:38:49 PM
Long time since I witnessed such a poor Tyrone performance. Cork must have thought this was a training game. Christ I paid £11 in to watch that. Totally  clueless.

All over the park?
McCarron and Gormley had good games. McCrory started well but Colm O'Neill gradually got on top. Beyond that we offered little. There were 4 other forwards could have been taken off before or at least with McAliskey.

We are badly in need of a reliable free taker. We missed 4 in a row from between 30 and 45 yards on the left side in a 15 minute period in the second half (Morgan then S Cavanagh then R O'Neill then S Cavanagh again. Morgan and Cavanagh must have missed 6 between them.

The 2 best frees we hit were from Joe McMahon from about 55 yards from and Conor Gormley though he was trying to drop it short.

sbw

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: LeoMc on March 11, 2013, 09:05:02 AM
McCarron and Gormley had good games. McCrory started well but Colm O'Neill gradually got on top. Beyond that we offered little. There were 4 other forwards could have been taken off before or at least with McAliskey.

We are badly in need of a reliable free taker. We missed 4 in a row from between 30 and 45 yards on the left side in a 15 minute period in the second half (Morgan then S Cavanagh then R O'Neill then S Cavanagh again. Morgan and Cavanagh must have missed 6 between them.

The 2 best frees we hit were from Joe McMahon from about 55 yards from and Conor Gormley though he was trying to drop it short.

Thanks for that. Plenty for MH to work on so, though Morgan did OK on his frees last week (until he was awarded MOTM!), if we're to avoid a rout in HQ at the weekend.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Redhand Santa

Long time since I witnessed such a poor Tyrone performance. Cork must have thought this was a training game. Christ I paid £11 in to watch that. Totally  clueless.

All over the park?
McCarron and Gormley had good games. McCrory started well but Colm O'Neill gradually got on top. Beyond that we offered little. There were 4 other forwards could have been taken off before or at least with McAliskey.We are badly in need of a reliable free taker. We missed 4 in a row from between 30 and 45 yards on the left side in a 15 minute period in the second half (Morgan then S Cavanagh then R O'Neill then S Cavanagh again. Morgan and Cavanagh must have missed 6 between them.

Confused by this as McAliskey wasn't on??

In fairness to Joe McMahon he's always did ok with the longer range free's. Since being named man of the match Morgan has now missed 4 in a row.

Didn't see anyone blame the ref SBW.

LeoMc

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 11, 2013, 09:59:29 AM

All over the park?
McCarron and Gormley had good games. McCrory started well but Colm O'Neill gradually got on top. Beyond that we offered little. There were 4 other forwards could have been taken off before or at least with McAliskey.We are badly in need of a reliable free taker. We missed 4 in a row from between 30 and 45 yards on the left side in a 15 minute period in the second half (Morgan then S Cavanagh then R O'Neill then S Cavanagh again. Morgan and Cavanagh must have missed 6 between them.

Confused by this as McAliskey wasn't on??

In fairness to Joe McMahon he's always did ok with the longer range free's. Since being named man of the match Morgan has now missed 4 in a row.

Didn't see anyone blame the ref SBW.

Sorry, I meant McNeice. He was doing some good work covering back though Cork were doing a lot of their first half work down the left wing.

Man Marker

That was a horrible showing. Mickey didn't take the nephew off-no chance. I feel he has been carried the past few games. He's gradually going back to the players he had last season which wasn't good enough

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Man Marker on March 11, 2013, 12:55:15 PM
That was a horrible showing. Mickey didn't take the nephew off-no chance. I feel he has been carried the past few games. He's gradually going back to the players he had last season which wasn't good enough

Not sure I agree with the last bit. Morgan, McKenna, McNamee, McNeice, Sean Cavanagh, Coney, Ronan O'Neill all started yesterday and apart from 1 appearance from McNamee didn't play any part in last years championship. Plus the likes of McRory, Donnelly and Harte have only been about for a few seasons so were still very much learning there trade last year.

rrhf

This is following a familiar early season pattern which is worrying.  Tyrone and Kildare were both found out yesterday.  I think we have been carrying certain players in key positions who are out of form and who have yet to deliver on the big day. 
I also think there are new players are no better than some of the players we discarded last year and in most cases worse. It will be interesting to see who actually are the form players in Tyrone when the club league starts.