Down v Mayo, Sat 9th March, Páirc Esler - Newry

Started by Farrandeelin, March 03, 2013, 10:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quoteyou cant miss the floodlights coming down the Dublin road into the Town.

But it will still take an hour to get parked and walk most of the way from there.
They should put a footbridge over the canal,river behind Pairc Esler
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

snoopdog

Quote from: armaghniac on March 07, 2013, 07:33:31 PM
Quoteyou cant miss the floodlights coming down the Dublin road into the Town.

But it will still take an hour to get parked and walk most of the way from there.
They should put a footbridge over the canal,river behind Pairc Esler
obviously yep drive down into town and park at quays for a pound or the buttercrane. i park in a little car park just as you turn on to the warrenpoint road on left. the gateway car park its free well i never pay and its  a short walk to the ground.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Crete Boom on March 07, 2013, 11:43:28 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on March 06, 2013, 11:28:46 PM
The Ballina lads seem fierce touchy on here!!!  ;)

I think we might be getting a bit carried away with some of the comments based on a couple of league results .

I thought at least part of the problem was that the players seemed very flat against Dublin, when Dublin players made runs for short kickouts, the Mayo lads weren't able to keep pace with them. I'd wonder how they trained in the couple of days prior to that game - I understand that they stayed in Enfield on the Friday night so maybe they trained a bit on Saturday morning?? Part of the problem against Dublin was that players in and around MF weren't tracking their men who were allowed to break in numbers and deliver ball under very little pressure.

I don't buy this idea that the only way to win is to have a two man FF line - for a start, we don't have a real top quality forward like Brogan who we can play in there pretty much on his own being marked by two backs. And if the opposition decide to remove a man from their FF line in order to play in front of their FB line, then surely that frees up one of our backs to play in front of our FB line?? How that player is used is crucial though.

The selection for this game will be interesting, would prefer to see either Keane / McHale / Walsh / Rogers / AN Other in in the FB line and maybe try someone different in at CHB instead of Vaughan (maybe Boyle or Barrett?).

That's it , a Cross man advocating ditching a player from the aristocrats of Mayo football for somebody from hungry hill :o.I'll not darken the door of another county game again till there are at least eleven Stephenites men on the staring 15 or till DB is player manager! ;)
I would ask now to be left in peace to enjoy my club championship relegation playoffs in 2013 without any more scurrilous attacks on Mayo's finest club. 8)

Despite the name, he's one of us!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

I think we might be getting a bit carried away with some of the comments based on a couple of league results .

I thought at least part of the problem was that the players seemed very flat against Dublin, when Dublin players made runs for short kickouts, the Mayo lads weren't able to keep pace with them. I'd wonder how they trained in the couple of days prior to that game - I understand that they stayed in Enfield on the Friday night so maybe they trained a bit on Saturday morning?? Part of the problem against Dublin was that players in and around MF weren't tracking their men who were allowed to break in numbers and deliver ball under very little pressure.

I don't buy this idea that the only way to win is to have a two man FF line - for a start, we don't have a real top quality forward like Brogan who we can play in there pretty much on his own being marked by two backs. And if the opposition decide to remove a man from their FF line in order to play in front of their FB line, then surely that frees up one of our backs to play in front of our FB line?? How that player is used is crucial though.

The selection for this game will be interesting, would prefer to see either Keane / McHale / Walsh / Rogers / AN Other in in the FB line and maybe try someone different in at CHB instead of Vaughan (maybe Boyle or Barrett?).

That's it , a Cross man advocating ditching a player from the aristocrats of Mayo football for somebody from hungry hill :o.I'll not darken the door of another county game again till there are at least eleven Stephenites men on the staring 15 or till DB is player manager! ;)
I would ask now to be left in peace to enjoy my club championship relegation playoffs in 2013 without any more scurrilous attacks on Mayo's finest club. 8)

Aristocrats?? I've heard it all now!!

A Knockmore man as Farr says.

Apologies, I forgot to say that it'd be Barrett I'd replace in the FB line for one of those four rather than Caff

Never beat the deeler

The Ballina lads aren't happy unless they are giving out about a perceived slight from Cross  :P

I was cheering the Stiofanaigh on in Croke Park in 2005 (in my Cross jumper) and was asked quite abruptly "Sure what are you going on about, you're from Cross"!!
Hasta la victoria siempre

western exile

The conversation seems to have gone a bit North Mayo. In that thought....
Let's not forget that Newry is same latitude as Killalla and Bellmullet.
Enjoy your trip east.  8)

Tubberman

The rugby is on at 5 tomorrow, so can either listen to it on the radio on the way up to Newry, or get up to Newry early and find someplace to watch it.
Down lads, would there be many places showing the rugby? Where would be the best to watch it, maybe bit of grub as well? 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

NP 76

Canal Court is the best spot IMO to go for grub in Newry plenty on the plate and I also think they are doing a special football menu for those heading to the game. They also have loads of tellys to watch any sport that's on. First class service

snoopdog

Quote from: Tubberman on March 08, 2013, 09:11:16 AM
The rugby is on at 5 tomorrow, so can either listen to it on the radio on the way up to Newry, or get up to Newry early and find someplace to watch it.
Down lads, would there be many places showing the rugby? Where would be the best to watch it, maybe bit of grub as well?
might be hard pushed to find a telly with rugby on it in Newry. Yeah Canal court best bet, plus you can give our sponsors a few pound
any big premiership or late fa cup games on tomorrow? Newrys a soccer town which means it will take preference.
sure France will give them a hiding anyway.

Crete Boom

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 08, 2013, 12:06:35 AM

Aristocrats?? I've heard it all now!!

A Knockmore man as Farr says.

Apologies, I forgot to say that it'd be Barrett I'd replace in the FB line for one of those four rather than Caff

Aristocrats! You heard me right and I stand by it 8), and lads as far as I Know Michael Walsh is a Ardnaree man but next time I'm talking  to his sister I'll tell  her how the Knockmore lads are trying to claim him which should give her a good laugh!

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 08, 2013, 12:20:04 AM
The Ballina lads aren't happy unless they are giving out about a perceived slight from Cross  :P

I was cheering the Stiofanaigh on in Croke Park in 2005 (in my Cross jumper) and was asked quite abruptly "Sure what are you going on about, you're from Cross"!!

But you are from Cross so what are you going on about?  ;D ( I feel a hatchet attack coming Dolphin style!!)

Anyway as much as I am enjoying being jumped and beaten up in cyber space by my country brethren I apologise for hijacking the thread with this squabble so back to the game. I'd like to see either Michael Walsh or Shane MacHale given a go at corner back for this game , Gibbons and O' Shea in midfield. Cathal Carolan (even if he is from Cross) I think deserves a start at half forward and what about Barry Moran at fulforward with Doc and Conroy? Barry did well when picked in there in 2009 and also against Dublin in the league last year so it might be worth a go again just to give as another option for the summer.

P.S. to the south Mayo lad chirping about the north Mayo lads talking real football, anymore lip and we'll be on to 'IInda' to annex you into Galway for everything as well as political constituency changes!! ;D

ballinaman

The Mayo Senior Football team to face Down in Round 4 of the Allianz Football League at 7.00p.m. this Saturday 9th March is as follows:

1) Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
2) Chris Barrett - Belmullet
3) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5) Lee Keegan - Westport
6) Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
7) Colm Boyle - Davitts
8 ) Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
9) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
10) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11) Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
12) Cathal Carolan - Crossmolina
13) Enda Varley - Garrymore
14) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
15) Michael Conroy - Davitts

16) David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
17) Keith Rogers - Ballaghaderreen
18) Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
19) Kevin Keane - Westport
20) Michael Walsh - Ardnaree
21) Danny Geraghty - Ballintubber
22) Jason Gibbons - Ballintubber
23) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
24) Alan Freeman - Aghamore
25) Cathal Freeman - Aghamore
26) Alan Murphy - Ballinrobe

Aristo 60

Quote from: ballinaman on March 08, 2013, 11:29:39 AM
The Mayo Senior Football team to face Down in Round 4 of the Allianz Football League at 7.00p.m. this Saturday 9th March is as follows:

1) Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
2) Chris Barrett - Belmullet
3) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5) Lee Keegan - Westport
6) Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
7) Colm Boyle - Davitts
8 ) Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
9) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
10) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11) Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
12) Cathal Carolan - Crossmolina
13) Enda Varley - Garrymore
14) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
15) Michael Conroy - Davitts

16) David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
17) Keith Rogers - Ballaghaderreen
18) Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
19) Kevin Keane - Westport
20) Michael Walsh - Ardnaree
21) Danny Geraghty - Ballintubber
22) Jason Gibbons - Ballintubber
23) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
24) Alan Freeman - Aghamore
25) Cathal Freeman - Aghamore
26) Alan Murphy - Ballinrobe

not a footballer in there

western exile

James Mc Cartan names his side to play Mayo in the Allianz league game Saturday night in Pairc Esler

Brendan McVeigh
Daniel McCartan
Brendan McArdle
Ryan Boyle
Ryan Mallon
Aidan Carr
Keith Quinn
Kalum King
Kevin McKernan
Conor Laverty
Mark Poland
Paul McComiskey
Donal O'Hare
Connaire Harrison
Benny Coulter

Aristo 60

Quote from: western exile on March 08, 2013, 12:32:54 PM
James Mc Cartan names his side to play Mayo in the Allianz league game Saturday night in Pairc Esler

Brendan McVeigh
Daniel McCartan
Brendan McArdle
Ryan Boyle
Ryan Mallon
Aidan Carr
Keith Quinn
Kalum King
Kevin McKernan
Conor Laverty
Mark Poland
Paul McComiskey
Donal O'Hare
Connaire Harrison
Benny Coulter

Mostly footballers in here

bucko

Quote from: Aristo 60 on March 08, 2013, 12:55:43 PM
Quote from: western exile on March 08, 2013, 12:32:54 PM

Brendan McVeigh
Daniel McCartan
Brendan McArdle
Ryan Boyle
Ryan Mallon
Aidan Carr
Keith Quinn
Kalum King
Kevin McKernan
Conor Laverty
Mark Poland
Paul McComiskey
Donal O'Hare
Connaire Harrison
Benny Coulter

Mostly footballers in here

Could've fooled me last August in Croker....