Jerry Kiernan has a shot at GAA players/fitness levels

Started by Bingo, February 15, 2013, 09:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilthemac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 22, 2013, 11:23:29 AM
Would still say he has it right in terms of certain county teams not being up to the standard (fitness wise).

Fermanagh hurlers, Cavan hurlers, Sligo hurlers, Kilkenny footballers, London footballers. No offence to these counties in these codes but are they getting the same money for county training than the Div 1 and 2 teams?
no offence, but you still offended them

What about the Fermanagh footballers in Division 3? Or Limerick in Division 4?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: neilthemac on February 22, 2013, 03:49:12 PM
Would still say he has it right in terms of certain county teams not being up to the standard (fitness wise).

Fermanagh hurlers, Cavan hurlers, Sligo hurlers, Kilkenny footballers, London footballers. No offence to these counties in these codes but are they getting the same money for county training than the Div 1 and 2 teams?

I'm just interested in the payment and the effort required in getting it. As already said on this thread, there are club players (especially my own) who don't play for county teams that train just as hard as a County player, and probably twice as hard as ones I've mentioned. I've left out other teams I'm sure,  I could have added but I'm bound to offend someone. :o

Antim have been div 1 over the years and I've never known the players to get a holiday
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rrhf

time for the gaa to make a proper success of athletics in ireland.  they have botched it up since they went off on their own.

magpie seanie

Quote from: neilthemac on February 22, 2013, 03:49:12 PM

Fermanagh footballers made an AI semi final a few years back. Limerick regularly put it up to the likes of Kerry & Cork in championship. The likes of Fermanagh, Cavan, Sligo or Leitrim hurlers would NEVER EVER get within 50 points of the elite teams at their grade. That's the difference.

London footballers are actually quite competitive and put in a huge effort and committment from what I hear. They scared the living bejaysus out of Mayo the year before last.

rodney trotter

Cavan haven't had a Senior Hurling team for the past 2 years.

Hardy

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 26, 2013, 01:04:32 PM

Cavan haven't had a Senior Hurling team for the past 2 years.

Cute Cavan hoors - the longest unbeaten record in the country.

Bord na Mona man

The Cross Country slogger Kiernan was ranting about the GAA again today on the wireless on Newstalk
His initial point was about how the Government shouldn't be giving funding to the redevelopment of Ruislip in London.
He then started on his old hobby horses about GAA players being unfit, gaelic football not having much skill, the GAA not deserving government funding etc.

rosnarun

I think the GAA is Big enough to With stand some Criticsim from the like of Gerry keirnan . nothing worst than an organisation the lashes out as soon as any one dare to say anything bad about them, Competitive running  is dying on its feet in ireland while recreational Exercise is Booming ,
I think that's something he should be more worried about , but that his and Athletics choice
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Hardy

I heard that. I agree with rosnarun and Jerry Kiernan's ranting won't take any skin off the GAA's nose. That doesn't stop me from thinking he's a gobshite. Maybe he has, but I'm not aware of his having attacked any of the professional sports that get government funding. His form on this goes all the way back to 1988:

From The Kerryman

imtommygunn

He has attacked athletes as well so he's pretty indiscriminate. The fella from Cork O'Lionaird (I think that's how you spell it) who got to the world final in the 1500 and was something like 10th fastest in the world the other year got strips torn off him by Kiernan. I think he likes a rant at people he seems to have something against. There are one or two others I think that he has done this with in his own game never mind anyone outside his sport.

Athletics equivalent of Pat Spillane so I wouldn't read too much into it!

Dont Matter

Nothing worse than these runner people going on and on about how many miles they ran and all the interval training and farting training they do. You're still running really slow times and coming 100th in a race with other slow idiots. And how much did you spend on that watch and those runners?   :D
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Jinxy

He was a mighty runner in his day and I'm sure he's still a very fit man today.
I doubt he ever had the talent required to make it in a team sport though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Dont Matter on March 25, 2014, 11:46:19 AM
Nothing worse than these runner people going on and on about how many miles they ran and all the interval training and farting training they do. You're still running really slow times and coming 100th in a race with other slow idiots. And how much did you spend on that watch and those runners?   :D

If you don't like runners then what do you think of runners from Dublin  ;D

screenexile

I don't understand what his problem is... GAA Players are fit enough to play GAA.

What has their comparative fitness levels against Athletic competitors and other sports got to do with anything? What about Shot Putters? Should they get less funding because they aren't as fit as most athletes?

Apart from that I still think that Inter County GAA fitness levels would compare very favourably against any Team Sport in Ireland!

Dont Matter

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 25, 2014, 11:56:10 AM
If you don't like runners then what do you think of runners from Dublin  ;D

If you see a Dublin person running, they're probably just after stealing someone's wallet.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn