Jerry Kiernan has a shot at GAA players/fitness levels

Started by Bingo, February 15, 2013, 09:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2014, 01:01:33 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 09, 2014, 12:02:30 AM
Gillick be hard to catch i say if he got going, like any other sport that type of fitness for that sport depends on the type of training u do, many say Bruce lee was the fittest man alive, but that was training for the full contact type fighting, Marathon runners train for long distances, is he fitter than a rugby player, its all horses for courses, personally i think the UFC type fighter or professional boxers are very fit though that doesn't mean u wouldn't run rings round them on a  football field.

In my youth I though Tyson was the most awesome athlete I had ever seen. Since then Michael Johnson and Usain Bolt have impressed me even more. But how would they get on marking the Gooch?

I watched a video about Ronaldo and they did a lot of comparisons between him and a sprinter. In straight lines Ronaldo was decent but his style of running was terrible for it... the zig zag sprint he was just different class to the sprinter!!!

heffo

I'm told (maybe Syferus can clarify) that the Roscommon panel did a series of fitness tests in DCU recently.

Only three of the panel reached the average level of the Dublin Footballers.

Syferus

Quote from: heffo on June 09, 2014, 12:35:53 PM
I'm told (maybe Syferus can clarify) that the Roscommon panel did a series of fitness tests in DCU recently.

Haven't a clue but it wouldn't be a surprise. Sure we didn't have a county gym set up for the lads at home until late last year. Collins and Cregger both have Sports Science degrees from DCU and Cregg is the Connacht GAA Strength and Conditioning Officer so I assume they were two of the three. Lots of work to do before we're at Dublin's level of fitness. At least we're taking it seriously now.

muppet

I met Paul Flynn a few months ago. His physique is really striking.

Lovely fella btw.
MWWSI 2017

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Syferus on June 09, 2014, 12:39:23 PM

Haven't a clue but it wouldn't be a surprise. Sure we didn't have a county gym set up for the lads at home until late last year. Collins and Cregger both have Sports Science degrees from DCU and Cregg is the Connacht GAA Strength and Conditioning Officer so I assume they were two of the three. Lots of work to do before we're at Dublin's level of fitness. At least we're taking it seriously now.
is there not a gym at the back of the bus?

Jinxy

Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2014, 12:55:18 PM

Lovely fella btw.

I bet he smells lovely too.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on June 09, 2014, 01:06:35 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2014, 12:55:18 PM

Lovely fella btw.

I bet he smells lovely too.

Now that you mention it, his nostrils flared when I asked about playing Meath.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

Just on this, I've developed a habit of looking at teams and picking out players who, talent aside, look physically light-years away from the average Dublin player.
I picked out quite a few watching the highlights of Wexford and Longford.
Some of the Laois players could do with dropping a few pounds as well.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

highorlow

QuoteI've developed a habit of looking at teams and picking out players who, talent aside, look physically light-years away from the average Dublin player.

That's not comparing like with like. Your comparing the full time Dubl€n squad with part timers.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Johnnybegood on June 09, 2014, 01:02:03 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 09, 2014, 12:39:23 PM

is there not a gym at the back of the bus?

;D
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...