Jerry Kiernan has a shot at GAA players/fitness levels

Started by Bingo, February 15, 2013, 09:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: screenexile on March 25, 2014, 12:01:08 PM
I don't understand what his problem is... GAA Players are fit enough to play GAA.

What has their comparative fitness levels against Athletic competitors and other sports got to do with anything?

Apart from that I still think that Inter County GAA fitness levels would compare very favourably against any Team Sport in Ireland!

Exactly - the level of fitness of county, and even many club players, these days is ridiculous. Football etc is more anaerobic and requires much more upper body development than athletics. Top level runners etc couldn't compete physically or with speed over short bursts.

Different sports have different fitness requirements... wait till he gets started on rugby union! I think Jerry mustn't have made his school team or something...

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 25, 2014, 11:28:02 AM
He has attacked athletes as well so he's pretty indiscriminate. The fella from Cork O'Lionaird (I think that's how you spell it) who got to the world final in the 1500 and was something like 10th fastest in the world the other year got strips torn off him by Kiernan. I think he likes a rant at people he seems to have something against. There are one or two others I think that he has done this with in his own game never mind anyone outside his sport.

Athletics equivalent of Pat Spillane so I wouldn't read too much into it!
He's an ignorant bollix of the highest order so I wouldn't take any heed of him. He's always cribbing about something.

Bord na Mona man

"Kiernan is a supporter of Shamrock Rovers and member of FC Barcelona and speaks almost fluent Italian."

He must be an Ultra!  :D
http://srfcultrasforum.eu/forum/printthread.php?t=1261&pp=20

Main Street

Quote from: ballinaman on March 25, 2014, 12:24:37 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 25, 2014, 11:28:02 AM
He has attacked athletes as well so he's pretty indiscriminate. The fella from Cork O'Lionaird (I think that's how you spell it) who got to the world final in the 1500 and was something like 10th fastest in the world the other year got strips torn off him by Kiernan. I think he likes a rant at people he seems to have something against. There are one or two others I think that he has done this with in his own game never mind anyone outside his sport.

Athletics equivalent of Pat Spillane so I wouldn't read too much into it!
He's an ignorant bollix of the highest order so I wouldn't take any heed of him. He's always cribbing about something.
The very talented track athlete Alistair Cragg was another to bear the brunt of Kiernan's "wit",  after his injury hit performance at 2008 Olympics,  basically called him a loser, a quitter and to f'eck off back to Africa. RTE does pick them. If Sonia had trailed in last, there would be floods of tears shed in sympathy from Kiernan and Coughlin and any excuse would be dragged up to explain away the performance,  from a broken toenail to suspicions of strychnine poising.

I think Cragg retorted to the criticism, something like that Kiernan was a perennial plodder in his day who never did anything of note, was compensating for his own lack of athletic ability and  not fit to lace Cragg's athlete shoes.

Jinxy

There was another lad who lost the head with Kiernan after a race.
Nolan was it?
Actually MS I think you might be mixing himself and Cragg up.
Nolan was a 1500m runner (I think) who basically asked what would Kiernan know about speed as he was just a long-distance slogger.
This was during a trackside interview after a race, the lead up to which saw the usual criticism from JK.
Did Nolan call him a 'fool' as well?
I think he did.
Don't remember Cragg getting involved with Kiernan although I don't doubt for a second Kiernan probably had a pop at him at some stage.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

Quote from: Jinxy on March 25, 2014, 01:01:36 PM
There was another lad who lost the head with Kiernan after a race.
Nolan was it?
Actually MS I think you might be mixing himself and Cragg up.
Nolan was a 1500m runner (I think) who basically asked what would Kiernan know about speed as he was just a long-distance slogger.
This was during a trackside interview after a race, the lead up to which saw the usual criticism from JK.
Did Nolan call him a 'fool' as well?
I think he did.
Don't remember Cragg getting involved with Kiernan although I don't doubt for a second Kiernan probably had a pop at him at some stage.
Kiernan definitely had a bitter pop at Cragg  at the 2008 games and Cragg was not too shy to reply in kind.
But I could have got my retorts mixed up, it could well have been Nolan who called him a plodder.

But my memory of such an interview pre-dates Nolan and  would go back further in time,  circa 2007/2008.

Jinxy

I'd say it would be hard to find an Irish runner he didn't fall out with at some stage.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

imtommygunn

For a minute there I thought it was Stephen Nolan!!

Bingo

I mentioned it on another thread but intercounty players fitness and conditioning is without doubt as good as its ever been at the minute. Even at this stage of the year players are in supreme condition. The last few years has seen a big improvement or even focus on the right level of S&C players need to be at.

Club players as well are at a level unseen before.

As someone said, its horses for courses in terms of fitness and its follish to try and compare one to the other.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

In case ye're not aware Jerry has been spouting this same rubbish for years..he grew up not a million miles away from my own patch (before you ask, no that hair style is not en vogue in North Kerry) and is a bitter, twisted little man.

As many have said, there are valid issues which should be discussed regarding funding for Sports in Ireland..but Jerry's horsesh*t remarks mean any credibility in his argument is lost. Hilarious stuff really..a distance runner saying there is not much skill involved in hurling or football!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Redhand Santa

He seems to be a bit thick. Of the course the gaa will get grants as one of the biggest participator sports in the country. Giving money to organisations that have large members makes sense. The gaa contributes a lot more back to the economy than athletics. It also provides great qualities for young people such as team work and giving back to your community.

theticklemister

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 26, 2014, 06:36:11 PM
He seems to be a bit thick. Of the course the gaa will get grants as one of the biggest participator sports in the country. Giving money to organisations that have large members makes sense. The gaa contributes a lot more back to the economy than athletics. It also provides great qualities for young people such as team work and giving back to your community.

plus wan

screenexile

Interesting graphic and article:

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/pic-fascinating-graph-reveals-the-amount-of-distance-covered-by-gaa-players-compared-to-other-sports/

GAA players for the time they play run further than every other sport... would be interesting to see Aussie Rules as well.

INDIANA

Quote from: screenexile on April 18, 2014, 12:31:24 PM
Interesting graphic and article:

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/pic-fascinating-graph-reveals-the-amount-of-distance-covered-by-gaa-players-compared-to-other-sports/

GAA players for the time they play run further than every other sport... would be interesting to see Aussie Rules as well.

About 16-17km per game. Some have been clocked doing 19km. On average some of them spend over 5 minutes running speeds of 18km/hr per game